Plastic Rice?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Plastic Rice?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:02 pm

I don't want to get into trouble by saying the brand name. You can message me if you want. I am thinking I got some. I have made this recipe before and have had no problem. I was looking forward to having this tonight. We are trying not to grocery shop quite so often. #recipe17897.
I couldn't buy the rice I wanted to. There was only one kind left. As a matter of fact, there may have only been this one bag left. Well I cooked and cooked and cooked. Finally I just put it in the oven. Crunchy when done. So I cooked some more. Still crunchy. I'm creeped out and I think I'll pitch the rest of the bag. Has anyone else heard of the plastic rice rumors here in the U.S.? From another country? It never puffed up at all. How can I tell?

KittenCal

Re: Plastic Rice?

Post by KittenCal » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:59 am

I have never has problems with cooking rice and never hear of plastic rice.. yikes!
If you can eat, you can make it!

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 am

I have heard of it...but have never seen or tried it. It comes from China. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

"Artificial rice is a grain product made to resemble rice. It is usually made from broken rice, sometimes with the addition of other cereals, and often fortified with micronutrients, including minerals such as iron and zinc and vitamins, such as vitamin A and vitamin B."

If I were you I would toss it...who know what else is in it.

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Yes I'm gonna throw it away. I saw online tests but they were anicdotal and I didn't know if it would work. After all that simmering and baking and simmering again, I still broke them with my nail. :-O

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:47 pm

P. S. It's the same grocery chain that has the romain lettuce that I won't use anymore because I think it is covered in plastic because it won't ever wilt after more than a month. It just stays crunchy as the day is long. I need to to that hot water test I saw online where the lady puts it in hot water and then peels the plastic off the lettuce.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:25 pm

Oh my goodness.... I have never heard of the plastic rice, or the plastic coated lettuce. Why is this even allowed? Yuck.

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:27 pm

The plastic lettuce thing is not for real. I researched it and it is a thing but I forget the name of it. Lettuce gets a film on it and you can peel it if things are wet. I saw a farmer talk about it online. So all those videos of people peeling their lettuce is from that. But the hard rice is for real, I guess.

Post by 93953368 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Well, then I'll know that crunchy cheap rice isn't just because it's low quality stuff, it's worse than that... Sure, I only bought it twice (the first time, I just thought it was a fluke) and only ate it myself, but I'd like to avoid filling myself up with more of God knows what.

Post by 86454470 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:11 pm

It's sad that you're having this problem. I have never seen plastic rice in the reality, and I hope I never will.

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:40 pm

Artificial rice doesn't mean plastic. It's just formed out of broken rice. Think of it like onion rings made from rings or onion rings made from diced. Same thing with chicken. Formed out of smaller bits.

Floating rice to check won't work. Beans also float because air gets in cracks.

If there is an issue cooking rice, it is probably very old and improperly stored. The only issues you should really have with rice are maybe small stones or debris.Same as with dried beans. Rinse and sort.

Any questions after all that, thrown it out. But rice made out of "plastic" is just one of those rumors used to get people to click links and read. Websites get paid by the click. And there is the "why" we get crazy stories online.