Can I say 1 apple, pear orange, etc. for a recipe?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Can I say 1 apple, pear orange, etc. for a recipe?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Or do I need to list it by weight? I can't remember if I have done that or not. Thanks so much!

ellie

Re: Can I say 1 apple, pear orange, etc. for a recipe?

Post by ellie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:58 pm

I think you and say the number of apples.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:36 pm

One or two is ok without weight, anymore than 2 needs to be listed by weight, not to worry we can add in the weight for you :)
If you can eat, you can make it!

WhatamIgonnaeatnext?

Post by WhatamIgonnaeatnext? » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Okay thanks!

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 pm

WhatamIgonnaeatnext? wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm
Okay thanks!
Your welcome! :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm

I am sure there is a good reason to list by weight, a rainy day like today sees my garden produce made into pots of soup and such for my freezer stash. Looking for a particular soup recipe this morning for the third time instead of weighing beets, potatoes and such sorry I ended up going online to find a recipe with cups instead of dragging out my scale.

No problem if you wish to use weights but would be nice to see how many cups in brackets. It's going to see me miss out on one lot of the new recipes. Another example is looking at backyard apple crop I know my pan needs five cups of apples basically five large apples or eyeballing and gathering the equivalent of the smaller apples without messing with a scale. Maybe I am the only one who measures in cups! As I have already said I am sure there is a good reason for using weight but hope to see brackets with cups left in the recipe!

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Gerry wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm
I am sure there is a good reason to list by weight, a rainy day like today sees my garden produce made into pots of soup and such for my freezer stash. Looking for a particular soup recipe this morning for the third time instead of weighing beets, potatoes and such sorry I ended up going online to find a recipe with cups instead of dragging out my scale.

No problem if you wish to use weights but would be nice to see how many cups in brackets. It's going to see me miss out on one lot of the new recipes. Another example is looking at backyard apple crop I know my pan needs five cups of apples basically five large apples or eyeballing and gathering the equivalent of the smaller apples without messing with a scale. Maybe I am the only one who measures in cups! As I have already said I am sure there is a good reason for using weight but hope to see brackets with cups left in the recipe!
Hi Gerry! You sure can use cups for fruit and veggies instead of weight, but for more accuracy we prefer using weights. You can always add another weight or cup amount/s in parentheses after the food item.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Carol, I was rethinking the message and came back to delete but happy with your answer! Love cooking, love the old recipes and these days easy sounds better and better to me! :)

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Gerry wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm
Hi Carol, I was rethinking the message and came back to delete but happy with your answer! Love cooking, love the old recipes and these days easy sounds better and better to me! :)
Ger we will be updating our recipe posting instructions some time this winter, we hate declining recipes as much as members do not like receiving them.. but there are many items our system just will not accept. Meat/fish protein is always by weight. Thank you for understanding.
Happy cooking and baking!