A Sourdough Bread

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Red Apple Guy

A Sourdough Bread

Post by Red Apple Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Made a white flour sourdough with 23% wt of the flour prefermented, 71% hydration,and 2.5% salt.
Red

Galley_Wench

Re: A Sourdough Bread

Post by Galley_Wench » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:09 pm

WOW . . . that is some wet dough. Looks great! Just bought 25 pounds of bread flour at Costco today . . . guess I'll be doing some baking.

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Second WOW! :shock: that`s what you call a professional looking bread and a great bread to sop up the gravy on your plate :D Very nice RedApple Guy

Red Apple Guy

Post by Red Apple Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks, but I think that's a fairly ugly loaf. The crumb is nice, but the outside looks like I feel in the mornings.

Galley, I'll bet you got a good deal on that flour.

Ref

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:50 pm

It was unbelieveable price . . . $6.99 for 25 pounds. I've bought before and had good results. THere are a few flours I've used that I don't like.

Red Apple Guy

Post by Red Apple Guy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:10 pm

That's awesome!

JamesdoesCooking

Post by JamesdoesCooking » Fri May 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Great looking bread AppleGuy, well done!

SassyCook

Post by SassyCook » Sat May 02, 2015 2:04 pm

Wow I could never in my lifetime make anything close to that bread I'm such a failure when it comes to baking with yeast, I even tried making a yeast cake following instructions following directions to a tee and sadly it was a flop, I really admire people who can bake with yeast, well to make a long story short, I really am impressed with your bread RedAppleGuy!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat May 02, 2015 2:58 pm

SassyCook wrote:Wow I could never in my lifetime make anything close to that bread I'm such a failure when it comes to baking with yeast, I even tried making a yeast cake following instructions following directions to a tee and sadly it was a flop, I really admire people who can bake with yeast, well to make a long story short, I really am impressed with your bread RedAppleGuy!
Sassy . . . have you tried instant yeast (sometimes called bread machine yeast)? You can't go wrong with it. Combine that with the stretch and fold method . . . bet you'd come out with a great loaf! Here's a link you should look at!

http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... 730#p95996

SassyCook

Post by SassyCook » Sat May 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:
SassyCook wrote:Wow I could never in my lifetime make anything close to that bread I'm such a failure when it comes to baking with yeast, I even tried making a yeast cake following instructions following directions to a tee and sadly it was a flop, I really admire people who can bake with yeast, well to make a long story short, I really am impressed with your bread RedAppleGuy!
Sassy . . . have you tried instant yeast (sometimes called bread machine yeast)? You can't go wrong with it. Combine that with the stretch and fold method . . . bet you'd come out with a great loaf! Here's a link you should look at!

http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... 730#p95996
Thanks Galley_Wench, I just checked out that link that looks awesome! Sadly I have tried instant yeast but again, with no luck :cry: really I have given up baking bread or anything for that matter using yeast, I have wasted so much flour over the years and it's way to frustrating spending time making bread and having it not turn out, I suppose if I had hands-on training then I may be able to bake with it successfully I think I am either using to little or too much flour :?