A Sourdough Bread

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Galley_Wench

Re: A Sourdough Bread

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat May 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Wish you lived closer . . . I've done a few bread classes! I think a bread baker has to be a little scientific . . . at least until you understand the whole process. Doesn't lend itself very well to the creative cooks.

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Sat May 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Nice bread, nice photo! :-BD

SassyCook

Post by SassyCook » Sat May 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:Wish you lived closer . . . I've done a few bread classes! I think a bread baker has to be a little scientific . . . at least until you understand the whole process. Doesn't lend itself very well to the creative cooks.
I wish you did that would be awesome Galley_Wench, thank you anyway! I do understand I just need to get a better feel of what the dough needs to be like, once I have that I believe that I could make good bread

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat May 02, 2015 7:52 pm

I agree . . . it takes time, when you do try again try the stretch and fold method using this recipe. It is so easy, just takes a little planning since in needs to be in the fridge for at least one day, but you can spread out the baking over several days. The dough gets better (and easier to handle) over the four day period, plus you have fresh bread for several days.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/rustic ... ation-3737

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Mon May 04, 2015 10:14 pm

I tried my hand at Sourdough. I even made Starter with wild yeast. I barely kept it alive for a year. Then I left it for almost 3 months, but got to back after a week of feeding, then I was debating on what to make with it when I got a knock on the door. We were put on a Boil Water Advisory, because of Ecoli. Guess what water I was using to feed my Starter? I called the Health Inspector about it, she said it would be fine to use, but I couldn't. I dumped it. Since I was the only one eating the sourdough, I haven't given it another go.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon May 04, 2015 10:36 pm

crazyndncook wrote:I tried my hand at Sourdough. I even made Starter with wild yeast. I barely kept it alive for a year. Then I left it for almost 3 months, but got to back after a week of feeding, then I was debating on what to make with it when I got a knock on the door. We were put on a Boil Water Advisory, because of Ecoli. Guess what water I was using to feed my Starter? I called the Health Inspector about it, she said it would be fine to use, but I couldn't. I dumped it. Since I was the only one eating the sourdough, I haven't given it another go.
Wow, that was scary . . . I would have dumped it too! We've lived in the city so long I've gotten use to using bottled water (sourdough doesn't like chlorine -- which was in our water). I have a freezer full of flakes (made with bottled water) . . . when you're ready to try again, let me know and I'll send you some.