I need a good sweet bread recipe

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

KittenCal

Re: I need a good sweet bread recipe

Post by KittenCal » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:38 am

I'm wondering if a cinnamon roll dough would work Dissie, I think it would...
If you can eat, you can make it!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:46 am

I agree Dissie . . . we come here to discuss breads, sweet, savory, etc. Don't think Offal (or is it Awful) can be prepared in a bread machine. :lol:

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:12 am

I think a cinnamon roll recipe might work minus the cinnamon. It made laugh today when I told my mom what I was thinking, she said I remember when I did that 30 years ago! I said I know, but I asked you about 20 years ago and you said you don't remember what recipe you used. She had a big laugh over that one! I know there are recipes on the web for holiday wreathes breads with the spiced fruit and maraschino cherries for decorations, I was hoping you all had one handy! LOL I know I said ABM, but it doesn't have to be that, I can make bread the regular way, just thought it might make it easier. I love to see all the advice and recipes everyone is offering. ;)

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:09 am

Galley_Wench wrote:I agree Dissie . . . we come here to discuss breads, sweet, savory, etc. Don't think Offal (or is it Awful) can be prepared in a bread machine. :lol:
If you navigate by "Recent Forum Topics" it goes straight to the discussion and someone might not notice the forum heading. And nothing is mentioned about ABM in the topic title.
But as a point of fact, I bet I could actually prepare offal in an ABM if pressed. I mean, if it was the only appliance I had working. ;)
But then again, since I gave my ABMs to charity since I don't like how they bake, maybe not since I no longer actually own one (or more as I did have a couple different kinds, and disliked them all) :lol: (Sarah :X took the small one which worked the best off to school with her- I think it was a one pound Welbilt machine.) :D

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:14 am

Dissie wrote:I think a cinnamon roll recipe might work minus the cinnamon. It made laugh today when I told my mom what I was thinking, she said I remember when I did that 30 years ago! I said I know, but I asked you about 20 years ago and you said you don't remember what recipe you used. She had a big laugh over that one! I know there are recipes on the web for holiday wreathes breads with the spiced fruit and maraschino cherries for decorations, I was hoping you all had one handy! LOL I know I said ABM, but it doesn't have to be that, I can make bread the regular way, just thought it might make it easier. I love to see all the advice and recipes everyone is offering. ;)
If you're just going to use the dough cycle, brioche dough would work well since it will incorporate the butter into the dough. Not as good as other methods, but passable. I just wouldn't use the ABM to bake the dough, and recipes I have seen usually try that.

Red Apple Guy

Post by Red Apple Guy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 am

Peter Reinhart's "All Purpose Sweet Dough" is a terrific recipe, appearing in his book "artisan breads every day". I've made this dough many times.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?i ... 1000429811

Red

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:44 am

Red is right . . . you can't go wrong with Peter Reinhart's recipes!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I now have plenty to choose from!