I need a good sweet bread recipe

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Dissie

I need a good sweet bread recipe

Post by Dissie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm

I want to make holiday bread wreaths. Anyone have good recipes to try? Is a bread machine recipe too much to ask for?

Kchurchill5

Re: I need a good sweet bread recipe

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 am

I made this one which was a good brioche http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art182162.asp
I did sprinkle with a little finishing sugar, which was nice. I made 5 of them for gifts.

You know I don't bake much, so this is all I have.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:54 pm

My King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread recipe is very good. As with any bread dough, you can shape it into any shape you like.
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/kings- ... ycat-11954
Sheila

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:45 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I made this one which was a good brioche http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art182162.asp
I did sprinkle with a little finishing sugar, which was nice. I made 5 of them for gifts.

You know I don't bake much, so this is all I have.
I agree about using a brioche recipe but not that one. It's a savory brioche. ;)
We had bbq on savory brioche rolls and it was good.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 pm

Dissie wrote:I want to make holiday bread wreaths. Anyone have good recipes to try? Is a bread machine recipe too much to ask for?
I've got a king's cake recipe on my blog which is a sweet brioche and has an almond paste filling. You could add glace cherries and etc to it to make it more christmas holiday oriented and sprinkle with appropriate sugars. The recipe uses a stand mixer though, not an abm. But since the way you have to add butter to the dough it wouldn't be practical for abm's to make a good brioche, in case you see any abm brioche recipes. Just my opinion.
But that type of bread is probably what you are thinking of.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I don't make many sweet breads, other than cinnamon rolls. Now the Hawaiian Bread recipe looks like something I MUST try!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:07 pm

When I saw this post where it was I said "WHAT?".
Sweet Breads are the thalamus gland and not a bread :o :shock: ;) !
I do have a recipe for that.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 pm

Shadows1 wrote:When I saw this post where it was I said "WHAT?".
Sweet Breads are the thalamus gland and not a bread :o :shock: ;) !
I do have a recipe for that.
I may try your recipe sometime if I come across them. I don't actually ever recall seeing them for sale anywhere.
I have had them in French restaurants. Very good! :)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:52 am

Thanks every one for chiming in. Shadows, this is a bread forum, I think a bread forum is just fine for asking about sweet bread. I mean, its a bread. I am sorry if you think its the wrong area. There are many types of breads. If you have a recipe that fits, please post it, even if you think its i the wrong area. I will look at all recipes and pick one to make my holiday breads. Thanks for responding. :D

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:09 am

Sweetbreads aren't actually bread but meat (actually a type of offal). It's a play on words, since they have a spongey texture kind of like bread.
I have had them in a wine kind of sauce with mushrooms and veggies, and tastes not unlike a type of stew.
But I can see how reading the topic title may cause a person to think of sweetbreads instead of sweet bread.
Still, good sweetbread recipes are always a plus, especially if those kind of recipes are in much shorter supply than bread recipes. I know I always appreciate seeing recipes for offal, because if I see them I will buy, and then don't want to have to search high and low for a good recipe.

~~
Shadows, can you post the recipe you mentioned pretty please? I would much appreciate. :)