July -- Baking?????

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Galley_Wench

July -- Baking?????

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:26 pm

It's the heat of the summer here in Arizona, but that doesn't seem to deter me from making bread. Last week I mixed up a batch of Rustic Cibbatta and baked on three different nights.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/rustic ... ation-3737

This morning decided it was time to exercise my sourdough starter . . . plan to mix up a batch of Sourdough English Muffins tonight and grill them in the morning. Later this week I plan to make some pizza dough and grill it one night.

What do you do during the heat of the summer?

Kchurchill5

Re: July -- Baking?????

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:53 pm

I am definitely not as ambitious as you GW. I do love a good loaf of bread; but, so not a baker.
However, does the ABM count. I do love a good loaf. During colder months, I do make it almost every week. During the summer months, probably 1x/2 wks, but I do love it. That is as much baking as you will get out of me.

Your breads always look scrumptious and yummy. Serious jealous!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Bread machine counts . . . at time I wish I still had mine (especially when it's go ungodly hot). Really don't know why I love it so much . . . just like to see what I can come up with. Guess it's the bit of mad scientist in me! :o

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 pm

I envy you still making bread in the heat. I hardly make any bread in the summer as we spend most of our time off at camp. It is more a cold weather thing for me. I should really make a few loaves or buns when I come home to do laundry, then I wouldn't have to buy that just so so gluten free stuff :roll: :lol:

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Camping . . . sounds like fun! When we were sailing I use to bake bread in a cast iron pot on the grill because the oven heated up the cabin so much!

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Bread machine for me, easy and it doesn`t heat up my condo. I used to get up at the crack of dawn when DH was living and make bread or buns from scratch, not now, it`s just me, I set the machine the night before and wake up to heavenly smell of bread baking without all the work :lol: There`s so many different flavors for bread machine bread I`ve had so much fun making so many of them..I know bread machine does not have the same taste of hand-made then baked but for me alone it`s just fine..
If you can eat, you can make it!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26 pm

I loved setting up the bread machine and waking to the smell of bread baking . . . I use to make quick breads this way. The bread machine makes great sandwich bread, but miss the artisan type crust when I used it, so I'd mix in the machine and bake on the grill. Best of both worlds!

ChanaBen-Ezra

Post by ChanaBen-Ezra » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:42 pm

give me a bread machine anytime, I`ll be darned if I could make a scratch bread :oops: I think I`ve made only one in my entire lifetime that turned out good :shock: :oops: I just can`t get it right so I`ve just given up, I admire those who can make scratch breads I think it`s an art.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:46 pm

I've been making bread for more years than I'm willing to admit . . . but the new stretch, pull and fold cold fermentation dough is my absolutely favorite. Doesn't take much effort but lots of patience . . . which I'm a bit short on ;) , but find it WONDERFUL!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:49 pm

If you're not familiar with the stretch and pull method here's a demonstration . . . http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=5730