Freezing sourdough

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Ashdoes

Freezing sourdough

Post by Ashdoes » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 am

Hi all! I'm new to this site, but not new to online recipes...
I have recently started sourdough baking, and love it. I have a question about freezing the dough, after the first rise. I found a recipe for rolls, after the first rise you shape and rise again before baking. Can I freeze the dough balls, before the second rise? Then take out of the freezer to rise before baking?
I literally can't believe the amount of money I've saved making my own bread.

KittenCal

Re: Freezing sourdough

Post by KittenCal » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:41 am

Hi ashdoes! welcome to RZ!

I have frozen dough balls many, many times!.. after the first rise I punch down the dough, shape into balls then freeze on plates and pop into freezer bags. When I want to bake them I remove from the freezer, place the balls on a greased pan allow to thaw/rise until doubled then bake..

hope this helps!
If you can eat, you can make it!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:58 am

I too have frozen dough . . . as Kittencal stated, shape after the first rise and freeze. If you're planning to make rolls, I'd shape put them on a plate and allow to freeze and then put them in a freezer bag/container. That way they won't stick together and you can remove as many as you need.

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 pm

That was exactly what I thought, but had to make sure. This sourdough stuff takes too much work to ruin a batch :) but, it will be nice to make a bunch in advance and use whenever.
Thanks!

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Ashdoes wrote:That was exactly what I thought, but had to make sure. This sourdough stuff takes too much work to ruin a batch :) but, it will be nice to make a bunch in advance and use whenever.
Thanks!
your welcome, and happy bread baking!
If you can eat, you can make it!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:23 pm

Ashdoes wrote:That was exactly what I thought, but had to make sure. This sourdough stuff takes too much work to ruin a batch :) but, it will be nice to make a bunch in advance and use whenever.
Thanks!
Glad we could help . . . look forward to seeing the recipe, and some photos too please!

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I just made them for the first time, and they're wonderful. I think they'll freeze beautifully.
I searched here, and the original poster has reposted them, so I reviewed them.
I swear I planned to take pics, and did after the second rise, be we ate them before I could get a pic of them in the bowl...but, I am making them for a family gathering on Saturday, and will really try to get a pic.
Thanks for the help.

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:55 pm

I took some frozen rolls out over an hour ago, they're thawed but not rising. Will they rise now, or just during cooking? They're sourdough dinner rolls, and the first batch rose prior to cooking...these I froze after shaping. Help?

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:06 pm

I'd wait, once they loose the chill they'll rise . . . hopefully you have enough time before dinner. I know with my cold fermation dough I take it out three hours before I want to bake a regular size loaf, it's less time if I make a small loaf.

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:15 pm

It definetly took a while, but they finally raised really well. Now I know how to make, and then freeze dinner rolls.
Thank you for all your help. :)