Freezing sourdough

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Galley_Wench

Re: Freezing sourdough

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Glad to hear they raised . . . wish I had some of those in my freezer. Let me know when you post the recipe. Enjoy!

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Paula G posted the recipe, from the other website to over here. It's called sourdough dinner rolls. :)

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Thanks, I'll give them a try . . . time to 'exercise' the sourdough starter. if it's Paula's recipe, I'm sure it worked out perfedctly!

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:17 am

She is revising it a little, to state some starters will require more flour. I think it might be because she originally used some whole wheat flour. I end up needing 2-3 more cups of flour. Just kneading, and adding, till it doesn't stick to my hands anymore.
They are wonderful 15 minutes after coming out of the oven.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:24 am

Ashdoes wrote:She is revising it a little, to state some starters will require more flour. I think it might be because she originally used some whole wheat flour. I end up needing 2-3 more cups of flour. Just kneading, and adding, till it doesn't stick to my hands anymore.
They are wonderful 15 minutes after coming out of the oven.

Glad they turned out. I prefer breads with a high hydration, such a ciabatta. THey are harder to work with, that why I use the stretch and fold method for such recipes. It's amazing to see how the dough changes when you allow the flour and water to rest.

Are you familiar with Baker's Percentage? Just calculated the percentage of water for the ciabatta compared to Paula's Sourdough Rolls . The Ciabatta comes out at 80% and Paula's is at 66%. There are lots of sites on the internet for those who love to bake . . . one of my favorites is King Arthur's. Here's their explanation of the Baker's percentage.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professi ... ntage.html

The more you work with dough the more comfortable you'll become with it. I love tosee what happens . . . guess that's the made scientist in me.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:32 am

Did you make your own starter? I've quite a collection of sourdough starters in the freezer. Obtained some from friends, made my own and even found an envelope in a VERY old (1973) sourdough cookbook and was able to successfully reconstitute it, and it's one of my favorites. Especially for sourdough english muffins!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/201 ... eat-bread/

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 am

I love making english muffins . . . Just mix up the night before, and the dough is ready the next morning, and no oven needed (which is great here in Arizona).

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/sourdo ... uffins-171

Ashdoes

Post by Ashdoes » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:42 am

I got my starter from Breadtopia. It's super active, and working really well. I tried starting my own, twice last year, and they both went belly up. I've got Ed Woods sourdough book, and it's helped to learn the basics, and how to use my inactive starter from the fridge. Sometimes I keep an active one out, if I'm baking a lot, but most times it stays in the fridge and I activate a little when I need it.
I made English muffins on Thursday. They really were very easy.
I'm surprised at how well I'm doing with breads, I really enjoy working with the dough.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Sounds like you've got the touch! Another great series of books is Peter Reinhart's books. . . he's the one that got me into the stretch and pull method.

Have fun!