Not sure what I stumbled on

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Dissie

Not sure what I stumbled on

Post by Dissie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:45 pm

OK, I have been making ABM bread for a while now. Just love it.

I usually just put it in my microwave to rise after I warm up a cup of water, and let it rise there, as its free of drafts and warm. Works good.

So one day, it was chilly in my kitchen, so I warmed up the water, and it was steaming hot. Got me thinking and I decided why not? I left the mug of hot steaming water in the microwave with the dough to rise. It rose splendidly. I baked, and this was the best bread I had ever made! It was light, fluffy, the crust was soft like store bought bread, it sliced like store bought bread, didn't crumble away even after a couple days, still sliced up great. I have made many loaves now this way and it always comes out wonderful!

I don't know what the steam is doing, but I swear by it now. Is this a well known thing? I just stumbled upon it or what? I just made a loaf of pumpernickel. It looks great, but haven't eaten any of it yet. But it sure looks like a winner!

Gerry

Re: Not sure what I stumbled on

Post by Gerry » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing, sounds like it works making for a great baking tip! :)

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Interesting . . . you're using the steam during the rising correct? I've been using steam when baking for years and it's what makes the bread like it's been baked in a special bakers steam oven. I'll have to do a little research. My guru for bread baking is Peter Reinhart so will see what he knows about it!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Yes, I use it during the rising, not the baking. I never thought about adding a pan of water to the oven......hmmmmmm :?

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:39 pm

I did a quick search for steaming bread and found all kinds of interesting things for baking it with steam, but not rising.

But honestly, its doing something! My kids have even told me, Mom you are getting really good at making bread!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:31 pm

I put a cast iron frying pan in the oven while it's preheating, When ready put the bread in the oven and pour a cup of water in the hot pan and quickly close the door. In amout 1 minute I spray the walls with water to produce more steam. The other option is to bake in a covered cloche or cast iron pan with a lid. That works the same as adding steam to the oven.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Dizzy . . . do you live a cooler climate?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Galley, Dis is in MN. I think that is considered cooler or flat out COLD, =)) =)) =))
I have never did the water trick; but, grandma always put a pan of water in the oven with bread or rolls.

I am just not much of a baker, so haven't tried it. I may just have to give it a go.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:48 pm

My thought is that it's the warmth (not the moisture) of the oven that's making a difference in her rise, especially since she lives in a cool/cold climate. Checked all my reference and haven't yet found anything regarding using warm moisture. It's the steam when baking makes a difference in the finished product.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes, I do live in a cold climate. BUT I have done this in the microwave both ways, one with it just warm and one with steaming cup of water, and the steaming cup of water works wonders. I have no idea why....I was just posting to let you know what I have found. Try it next time you make a loaf of bread. I did it twice today, made a loaf of honey wheat and pumpernickel. Both easy to slice and soft. Very different than the ones I have made in the past.