Come On In . .

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Jimber

Re: Come On In . .

Post by Jimber » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Galley_Wench wrote:Don't give up AJ . . . try one of the no-knead recipes. If they come out like brick it could be the kneading that you have a problem with. This recipe uses the pull and stretch method instead of convention kneading.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/no-kne ... ter-recipe

Hey a bread recipe using beer now that's up my alley :lol: Galley_Wench your recipe instructions are so precise I may just give my skills another try ;)

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Beer is one of my favorite items to cook with . . . use it in everything, from chili to breads. I've got a great sweet bread recipe using Guinness. Have fun!

Marion_in_Savannah

Post by Marion_in_Savannah » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm

[tiptoes in after a long absence]

Hi, I'm back at Zazz after a long hiatus. I've retired (YAY) and have started to get back into bread baking. I've done well with basic white bread from James Beard (better with bread flour than AP, we think), and a whole wheat bread that we used to make in NYC 35 years or so ago.

I've just made my first stab at rye bread, using a recipe from Michael Ruhlman. The oven temps seemed CRAAAAZZZYYY to me (start at 450° for 30 minutes, reduce to 375° for 15 to 30 minutes until internal temp is 200°) and I wound up with a brick.

Do you have a special section for the "help, I'm just getting started" folks, or should I just start a new thread when I bump my nose against something I'm having questions about? :? Kneading — how much is enough? Can you overknead by hand? How much "spring" is meant when dough is supposed to "spring back?"

In short, I'm stumbling in just like someone who has never done bread before in her life, with no bread machine, but I do have a Kitchen Aid mixer that helps with kneading. I'll probably wear y'all out with questions, but I know what great guidance and advice can be found here! :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Haven't seen this thread for awhile, great to see members joining in!

For anyone looking for a bread maker recipe with that good old fashioned taste, you may want to try one of our favourites - Feather Bread. It makes a large loaf or lovely dinner buns that really are as light as a feather. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/feathe ... d-buns-127

The amount of dough is just right for another of our favourites which we call mini cinnamon buns. I prefer the Feather Bread dough for this recipe but either or it is super easy and really really good. Baked in a bundt pan it makes for great presentation looking as good as it tastes. Never any left overs with either one!
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/cinnam ... bread-7246

I have a from scratch recipe from the turn of the century that is super easy to make, a recipe I have been making for years and years. Being my most requested recipe when we gather for holidays and special occasions it soon became known as our Holiday Buns. Shapes beautifully, makes awesome tasting crusty buns, fluffy rolls and lovely braided breads. Recipe easily halved and very freezer friendly.

Wrists along with two shoulder surgeries in April and November has me needing to rely on my breadmaker, but we really do miss these buns and braided braids at holiday time. I know the recipe is easily halved and have often thought to trying to cut it back and make it in the bread maker. Not sure if it would still have the same unique flavor. Hoping I get back to the hands on bread making soon!
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/holida ... -bread-126

Last edited by Gerry on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Marion_in_Savannah wrote:[tiptoes in after a long absence]

Hi, I'm back at Zazz after a long hiatus. I've retired (YAY) and have started to get back into bread baking. I've done well with basic white bread from James Beard (better with bread flour than AP, we think), and a whole wheat bread that we used to make in NYC 35 years or so ago.

I've just made my first stab at rye bread, using a recipe from Michael Ruhlman. The oven temps seemed CRAAAAZZZYYY to me (start at 450° for 30 minutes, reduce to 375° for 15 to 30 minutes until internal temp is 200°) and I wound up with a brick.

Do you have a special section for the "help, I'm just getting started" folks, or should I just start a new thread when I bump my nose against something I'm having questions about? :? Kneading — how much is enough? Can you overknead by hand? How much "spring" is meant when dough is supposed to "spring back?"

In short, I'm stumbling in just like someone who has never done bread before in her life, with no bread machine, but I do have a Kitchen Aid mixer that helps with kneading. I'll probably wear y'all out with questions, but I know what great guidance and advice can be found here! :D
WELCOME BACK!

There are so many different ways to make bread today as well as a variety of doughs! Many people use bread machines, Kitchen Aid mixers, the stretch and fold method (my preferred way to make bread) as well as no knead.

As far as your question about spring, it depends on the dough/formula, whether it's a wet dough (higher % of water). My suggestion would be to pick a recipe and let's discuss any question you have here! What do you think, will that work?

I've just moved the strech and fold demonstration to a sticky so you can find it easily at the top, as well as bread machine instructions. I'll work on one for hand knreading as well!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Gerry I know where you're coming with the wrist and hand problems. I've moved the instructions for the Stretch and Fold Method to the top of The Bread Basket. Here's a recipe for NO KNEAD Parkerhouse Rolls. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/no-kne ... -rolls-139

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:37 pm

Hello - thought I'd jump in. I am using up some baking supplies today. I have a nice loaf of bread baking in my ABM - just a plain mix that I added a few things to (Italian herbs, garlic). Hoping to turn that into garlic bread to go with tonight's dinner.

With the heat of summer, the bread machine is just so nice and we still get the great smell from the bread baking.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:45 pm

Gerry that second recipe link wouldn't work for me. I saved the first one, OMG I might try this tomorrow for dinner rolls tomorrow night. Thanks for posting it. Easy to boot. Always have those ingredients! Have you ever tried bread flour with that recipe? Whisk the flour? Not sift?

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:00 am

Sorry for the delay . . . Just got back on land and have internet! Everything sounds scrumptious! Can't wait to get home back in the galley :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 am

Dissie wrote:Gerry that second recipe link wouldn't work for me. I saved the first one, OMG I might try this tomorrow for dinner rolls tomorrow night. Thanks for posting it. Easy to boot. Always have those ingredients! Have you ever tried bread flour with that recipe? Whisk the flour? Not sift?
Sorry Dissie, missed this one http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/cinnam ... bread-7246 one of my go tos for family brunches and perfect to make up for the unexpected coffee visits with family and friends. Never any leftovers! I prefer to use my http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/feathe ... d-buns-127 when I make this one. Needs a photo, remains for most part it's about gone when I get to the taking! :D