Come On In . .

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

So Cal Gal

Re: Come On In . .

Post by So Cal Gal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 pm

There were lots of people here a few months ago, but most of them seem to have jumped ship? :?

I haven't been baking much lately--we've been busy with other things. But I did make some barley and oat pancakes (with maple syrup and pecans on top) for supper. Oh, they were good! Some women were born to shop...I was born to make and eat pancakes! :lol:

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 am

I have been missing in action because I normally use my phone to go online and I forgot to come to zazz. Yeah I know I need to be punished.

I have trying to get healthy again, and after my cookie binge this Christmas, I really need to eat better. So far this year I have had 2 bread baking days. The first time I did 6 loaves white bread back on the 6th. Then Sunday I did another 6 loaves white, 4 loaves 10 Grain with sunflower and Flaxseeds. Then 15 Pizza Sticks, using homemade pizza sauce.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 am

Some sort of cruel puishment going on....being honest....I took a couple mos off.....dont get it. MEMBERS lurk...

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:48 am

Geez when you get the baking bug, you go for it don't you! Is your Pizza stick recipe posted here? Off to volunteer at the thrift store this morning, but will be baking this afternoon . . . trying to duplicate a bread I had as a kid, called Monk's bread, it has, of all things in it, Millet flour!!!!

Becka

Post by Becka » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 am

I'm still here I just lurk around if there's anything interesting then I join in the conversation :D

Puggs

Post by Puggs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 am

Puggs is here! :lol:

AJQuilts

Post by AJQuilts » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 am

Galley_Wench wrote:Geez when you get the baking bug, you go for it don't you! Is your Pizza stick recipe posted here? Off to volunteer at the thrift store this morning, but will be baking this afternoon . . . trying to duplicate a bread I had as a kid, called Monk's bread, it has, of all things in it, Millet flour!!!!

I wish I could make bread from scratch, all of them turn out like a brick :o sooo I've pretty much given up :(

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Don't give up AJ . . . try one of the no-knead recipes. If they come out like brick it could be the kneading that you have a problem with. This recipe uses the pull and stretch method instead of convention kneading.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/no-kne ... ter-recipe

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Plan to do some experimenting tomorrow . . . trying to duplicate a recipe for Monk's Bread, which I loved as a kid. One of the ingredients (I'm told) is Millet flour. So I'm going to take a King Arthur's flour recipe and substitute 1/2 cup of the flour for the millet. Only way to find out if it works is try it!

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/pain-de-mie-small

Jimber

Post by Jimber » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Good afternoon! I think if I ever learned how to make a scratch bread that would be like winning the lottery for me, I remember years ago making a bread recipe baking it in a glass loaf dish, looking through the oven window and watching it rise in the oven I was seriously excited anticipating having a perfect load of bread, when I took it out it sunk I thought well okay so it sunk it may still taste okay, no way it tasted like strong yeast, in the garbage it flew and never made another again, I was so pissed off!

Kudos to everyone who has mastered making a perfect scratch bread!