Come On In . .

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Galley_Wench

Re: Come On In . .

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't have any GF recipes but know there are several here on the site that do . . . Amy is the first one I think of. Think she goes under Cheesehead here! She was looking for a sourdough starter that was GF. I'll see if I can contact here and get her over here! Just posted a recipe (not yet approved) for a cornbread that uses Mesquite Syrup, with is suppose to be good for bloodsugars.

I prersonally like muffin tops, at least for sweet muffins. They're fun to make too!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 pm

It is Cheesehead . . . just sent her a message and invited her to come on over . . . started a new topic for GF Bread Baking.
http://www.recipezazz.com/viewforums/vi ... ?f=9&t=789

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Kitten just posted a link to a couple . . . http://www.recipezazz.com/viewforums/vi ... 9682#p9682

So Cal Gal

Post by So Cal Gal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Galley_Wench--Thank you!!! I see the Gluten Free Bread Baking thread, and it looks like it's going to be a great resource! 8-)

There was a thread recently in Zazz Chat about gluten...and I think HotPepperRosemary is on a gluten free diet; and Ninya is wheat free.

I don't have Celiac disease (as far as I know). For some reason wheat seems to make me really congested, but it's a delayed reaction--so it took a long time to figure out. I've been living mostly wheat (and gluten) free for about the last year, and I can breathe a LOT easier now.

Oh, I love muffin tops too! Maybe they can be made wheat/gluten free? Yum! :D

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey guys, just posted some photos of the folding technique used in my San Francisco Sourdough Bread . . . http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/san-fr ... ough-bread Would love to know if this helps explain the steps in the recipe.

They're posted here . .
http://www.recipezazz.com/viewforums/vi ... f=73&t=855

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:02 am

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Gluten Free Bread Baking thread has been moved to http://www.recipezazz.com/viewforums/vi ... ?f=7&t=986

So Cal Gal

Post by So Cal Gal » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:38 am

It looks like some of the forums have been revised/updated ("The Tea Room" seems to have vanished, which is probably good; I was running out of things to say about tea! :lol: ). So I thought I'd better come in here and chat fast before something happens to this one too... ;)

When my DH and I first started to explore wheat & gluten-free breads, we bought some from Trader Joes and The Whole Foods Market; they were very dry, kind of gritty, and barely edible. I've been hesitant to make my own g/f bread because I figured anything I made would probably come out the same...so we've been replacing bread with rice cakes for the last year and a half. :roll:

This morning I got brave and made a gluten-free version of Mikekey's Molasses Pumpkin Bread, and it's wonderful! The texture is light and fine (no grit) with just enough moisture; and the flavor is spicy and slightly sweet. I doubt that anyone would ever guess it was gluten-free! ...but it makes me wonder why Trader Joes and The Whole Foods Market don't sell bread like this?

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:20 am

Yes, we've done a little revision. Instead of a separate board for the commercial yeast, wild yeast and quick breads, just put a separate thread in the Bread Basket. Which we thought would consolidate and seems like the likely place to look for info on baking breads.

We've still got the cafe . . . if we want to keep it, we need to use it.

So Cal Gal

Post by So Cal Gal » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:19 pm

I like the changes--everything looks good! 8-) Breads (of all kinds) made in a bread machine are in one place, and breads (of all kinds) made in an oven are in another. But what about things like pancakes and waffles? Do they fit anywhere?

Oh, and I just discovered that there is now a London Cafe instead of a Tea Room! :o :D :lol:

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:55 am

Well, my original idea was to have a board for:

Commercial Yeast (anything made with commercial yeast)
Wild Yeast/Sourdough (anything made with sourdough, which would include pancakes)
Baking Powder/Baking Soda (quick breads, muffins, pancakes, biscuits)

Maybe when things settledown I can talk Carol into it, but for now, I'll make a thread for Pancakes/Waffles (there seem to be a surge here now with some interesting offerings for pancakes (pumpkin, ginger, etc.).