FARMER'S MARKET AND HOME GARDEN EVENT

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Sue

Re: FARMER'S MARKET AND HOME GARDEN EVENT

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I've finally got around to uploading these to photobucket.
I don't have a vegetable garden because I don't have a place for it but Bill and I do love gardening. For now we grow in containers on the patio and try to limit it to herbs and things.

This is the top of my bay which is about 7 feet tall, it has been pruned back so isn't so splendid to look at right now. It is showing new growth so in a month or two it should be magnificent again.

this is the top of the bay- you can see all the new leaves as well as some of the older ones below-

some creeping rosemary in the bottom of the bay container

thai basil

greek basil

sweet basil

chives- this variety is thinner than the normal ones and I like them- they have a more intense, less sharp flavor, I think!

dwarf lavender

trinidad scorpion chile

Piquin chiles (chiltepin)

fish peppers

thai dragon chiles close up

thai dragons- we have 2 of these this year. love this variety of thai chile and soon we will be overrun! :lol:

tabasco chiles

lemon verbena for tea
it's a bit leggy but bushing at the top- was tall when we got it

upright rosemary

more lavender

I meant to pick up some oregano and thyme but hadn't got to it. Usually I grow those two as well.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Awesome Sue. I wanted to plant more basil and thyme and lavender....etc....But ran out of room. I think my priorities for the backyard garden is cucs, zuc's, peppers, tomatoes and onions. OH yeah and beans. Out at moms, where there is actual acreage, we have so much more planted. My mom was so excited. She had been going with small pieces of garden (her flower beds), easier for her plant, water, weed and take care of. She gave up the large garden years ago. We planted a huge garden this year. I know its going to be lots of canning, but think of the savings and great food we are going to get. I think our garden is too big for our family but mom kept adding to it! :lol: I hope my sister will contribute and take lots of stuff for her family. My niece is a vegetarian, so maybe she will take the abundance. We have like 10 zucchini plants! OMG, we are going to be up to our ears in zucchini.

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 pm

Dissie wrote:Awesome Sue. I wanted to plant more basil and thyme and lavender....etc....But ran out of room. I think my priorities for the backyard garden is cucs, zuc's, peppers, tomatoes and onions. OH yeah and beans. Out at moms, where there is actual acreage, we have so much more planted. My mom was so excited. She had been going with small pieces of garden (her flower beds), easier for her plant, water, weed and take care of. She gave up the large garden years ago. We planted a huge garden this year. I know its going to be lots of canning, but think of the savings and great food we are going to get. I think our garden is too big for our family but mom kept adding to it! :lol: I hope my sister will contribute and take lots of stuff for her family. My niece is a vegetarian, so maybe she will take the abundance. We have like 10 zucchini plants! OMG, we are going to be up to our ears in zucchini.
If you are overrun, perhaps you can find a soup kitchen that will take the extra veggies off your hands.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Last year we took the extra's to the home about 2 blocks from my house. Its for disabled and older people. Not a nursing home but people who need a nurse on hand. They loved it, we will do it again. We brought it in and it was great. Everyone took just what they would use. We took in tomatoes, zucs, cucs, onions and apples. My mom has a huge orchard and we shared with them.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I swear my mom knows everyone in the county, she has like 100 people who come to pick apples. I am not kidding, so many people come to share the bounty. She doesn't charge, just tells them to pick, don't leave a mess and stay on the road, don't mess up her lawn. She is crazy nuts about her lawn. Has to be perfect you know! :lol: Looks like a golf course! Gotta love my mom! She spends all summer on her snapper mower, making sure her lawn looks like a gold course! Remember she is 75. Makes me proud that my mom is so active. Also makes me angry she wont slow down. She looks so tired sometimes.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Awesome patio garden Sue. Your herbs are doing so good. Mine are not the best, my lavender never came up this year :(

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 pm

I asked her lately, why she doesn't slow down a bit, not be so tired, let us help. She said as soon as I do, it means I can't run this farm with no animals and its also time for me to get an apt in town. I am not ready.

I guess thats a good reason. We used to raise Ostriches, pigs and chickens. I grew up slaughtering those animals. We never were a dairy farm with cows. Pigs were our main thing and we had lots of chickens. People came from miles around to buy our farm fresh chickens. I hated chicken slaughtering week. It meant a whole week in the kitchen, me and my sister, burning off the pin feathers and then cutting them up and putting them in bags to freeze, one chicken per bag, Bet you didn't know that about me?! :lol: I gave up my summers to bag chickens for 2 weeks for my family to sell chickens! We also sold lots of ostrich meat the local restaurant, that was their main attraction. Back when people wanted to eat ostrich. It was great meat, just never really caught on in the US.

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm

I think knowing how to process chickens is a good skill to have, Diss. I've never lived where we could keep livestock so the closest I've come to that was visiting my grandfather as a kid.
I'd keep chickens if I could. I think I know most of the process from feather to food although I've never done it. I probably would get tired of the rooster crowing but it couldn't be much worse than the guy who drives through the neighborhood at dark-thirty with no muffler, or someone revving their truck engine or motorcycle. Waking up is all the same.
My aunt had been raising chickens and selling the eggs until she passed. My cousin took up that property and I am not sure if she still keeps chickens or not. I hope she did.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 am

First off Sue your herbs look so healthy and great. Only my oregano and sage stands up to your potted herbs.. Love the photos.
I admire your tenacity Dissie! I remember when we had some chickens, sold eggs etc. Mom had to kill the Sunday chicken sacraifice - Dad couldn't do it. I can still see the chicken running around without it's head. Then Mom had to pluck and clean the bird. For those of you today you have no idea what it was like then. Even chickens hanging in the butcher shop may have had it's innards removed but the feathers were still onit!

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:32 am

Bergy wrote:First off Sue your herbs look so healthy and great. Only my oregano and sage stands up to your potted herbs.. Love the photos.
I admire your tenacity Dissie! I remember when we had some chickens, sold eggs etc. Mom had to kill the Sunday chicken sacraifice - Dad couldn't do it. I can still see the chicken running around without it's head. Then Mom had to pluck and clean the bird. For those of you today you have no idea what it was like then. Even chickens hanging in the butcher shop may have had it's innards removed but the feathers were still onit!
Chicken with its head cut off sounds like a mean rooster my grandfather had. The grandkids named him George.
First George chased Grandpa around the chicken yard.
Then Grandpa chased George around the chicken yard.
Then George ran around the chicken yard by himself.
After that, everyone sat down to a good southern fried chicken dinner.
Even George was invited, although he didn't get anything to eat.
We were all glad he came to dinner just the same. Especially Grandpa.
After that, George never chased Grandpa again. =))

Reminds me of one of my favorite movies:
http://youtu.be/jmpuAz59EbQ