FARMER'S MARKET AND HOME GARDEN EVENT

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Derf

FARMER'S MARKET AND HOME GARDEN EVENT

Post by Derf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 am

WHERE IS YOUR FARMER'S MARKET :?:

Let's see photos of it and let's see photos of your personal veggie garden...

Choose recipes to match from any posted on zazz and show us the end product; make it, review it and post your photo in this thread.

You can also post new recipes for FRESH VEGGIES AND FRUIT...
They must be newly posted to zazz and will be listed separately.

All will be tracked on page one of the thread.
When your choice is compete the list will be marked with a smilie.

Completions must be finished by June 30, 2013

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY ALL THE WONDERFUL FRESH FRUIT AND VEGGIES OF SPRING :!:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Derf

Re: FARMER'S MARKET AND HOME GARDEN EVENT

Post by Derf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:09 am

Committment Choices and Completions :YMAPPLAUSE:

A
B
Bergy made Derf's #recipe8698 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Bergy made Shadow1's #recipe8466 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Bergy made Sue's #recipe8260 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Bergy made oodiegal's #recipe7012 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Bergy made Shadow1's #recipe8467 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Bergy made sue's #recipe9562 :YMAPPLAUSE:
C
D
Derf will make Shadows1's #recipe6250 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Derf made Luvcookn's #recipe9138 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Derf made Bergy's #recipe9866 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Derf made Clearwatercook's #recipe6771 :YMAPPLAUSE:
Derf made Bergy's #recipe7448 :YMAPPLAUSE:

Dissie made Bea's #recipe6210 :YMAPPLAUSE:
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
QueenBea made Sue's #recipe8194 :YMAPPLAUSE:
QueenBea made Sue's #recipe8426 :YMAPPLAUSE:
QueenBea made Derf's #recipe9423 :YMAPPLAUSE:
QueenBea made Acadia Too's #recipe9743 :YMAPPLAUSE:
QueenBea made Bergy's #recipe3267 :YMAPPLAUSE:
QueenBea made Bergy's #recipe9866 :YMAPPLAUSE:
R
S
T
U
V
X Y Z

Derf

Post by Derf » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:10 am

New FRESH FRUIT AND VEGGIE Recipes Posted - Ya Get a Huge Hug - :YMHUG: And others may even try your new recipe :!:

A
B
Bergy created and posted a new recipe #recipe9823 :YMHUG: C
Bergy created and posted a new recipe #recipe9866 :YMHUG:
D
Derf created and posted a new recipe #recipe9780 :YMHUG:
Derf created and posted a new recipe #recipe9824 :YMHUG:
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
Sue created and posted a new recipe #recipe9815 :YMHUG:
Sue created and posted a new recipe #recipe9816 :YMHUG:
T
U
V
W X Y Z

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:09 am

Looks like a great healthy, fun event. Our Farmers Market days are Tuesday & Friday - I will go and taket some photos. Our home vegetable garden is just starting to show but will also take some photos of it. Meanwhile I will be using veggie recipes here on Zazz. And away we go

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:58 pm

We actually don't have a farmer's market this year :( The property was sold over the winter so the "farmers" are looking for another spot to have it......

As for my gardens, it's been a long winter and I just planted a few things last weekend. Green and yellow beans and cucumber seeds. In a couple of weekends I will be planting tomatoes, peppers and zucchinis. I might even d carrots.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 am

We have quite the abundance of farmer's markets, farm markets, roadside stands, orchard and pick-your-owns. Most of those grown their own, some even down to chickens laying eggs. The Findlay Market in Cincinnatti is open year round, as they have butchers, cheese shops, bakeries and ethnic shops as part of their complex. I don't get there very often. So far, we have been to a year round called Pipkins in Blue Ash where I get many heirloom veggies. Hidden Valley, which is local, is open and selling bakery things plus they have a store of their apple cider from the freezer. They specialize in orchard produce. Lovely's, in Springboro opened recently but mostly is selling flowers and plant starts right now along with some asparagus. Steve's (the owner) grows a ton of corn at his farm there. I do a lot of shopping at Treadway's market which is not enclosed and is roadside, but they have great vegetables in the height of season and even things like pyo okra (who else does that?). Windmill, about half a mile away, used to offer pyo berries but I am not sure they will this year. There is a lot of competition nearby. I'll try to get some pictures of some of these places this month when I drop by. Don't know if I will get to them all.

For gardening we only grow in containers on the patio since we don't really have a sunny yard to do that in, and I wouldn't trust the nearby runoff from people's lawns. Right now we are growing a few peppers and some herbs. I do have my bay tree out there as well. I started that as a cutting about 20 years ago. I have to keep cutting it back to get it back into the house each autumn. It has had a hard winter and I hope it perks up because it is not looking its robust self. I lost my indoor rosemary and have started again. I also have started some new lavender- not sure how much I will get first year. But at least I can buy lavender buds at the health food store if I want to use it in food.

Pictures coming as I get them.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 am

We finished our planting yesterday. Whew, it was a chore but also fun. It was a cold day. 50° and rainy, but we got it all in. I planted my lettuce, onions and radishes a couple weeks ago and they are coming up and looking good. Yesterday we planted tomatoes, potatoes, cabbage, corn, swiss chard, peppers, egg plant, broccoli, green beans, yellow beans, more radishes, beets, cucumbers, and zucchini. Going to be wonderful when it all comes ready in August.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:14 am

Sue you reminded me of the Granville Island market in Vancouver - I used to go there in my lunch hour, grab a snack and just look at all the wonderful fresh veggies. It is quite a sofisticated market with French gourmet butcher, Fresh Big Mama pasta, fish so fresh it was still alost flipping about and beautiful floral booths, Bakeries Mmmmm I cansmell the bread now. I loved seeing a huge table filled with egg plant or the pepper stall with all the different coloured peppers heap high. Whenever I was entertaining, which was often, I would go to Granville Island market and get all my needs for the dinner party - everything fresh and a-one quality

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Sue I'd love to see lots of photos, love all types of markets, i know it's a wee bit early around our area, but the local asparagus is in and wow is it good :!:

Dissie that is gonna be a fantastic garden, wish i had one like it , all i can grow are a few herbs and some hanging tomatoes, we'll be looking forward to photos as your garden grows :D

Bergy i remember Granville Island market, it is incredible :!: been years since i was there, they have everything imaginable in the way of foods and fruit and veggies :!: wish we lived closer.

Bea, hope you're finally getting some spring/ summery weather, it has been a long winter all over this year :!:

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:58 pm

I thought you guys might be interested in this:
http://www.pickyourown.org/
It has info for everyone.