Mother's Day Event

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Bergy

Re: Mother's Day Event

Post by Bergy » Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

My Mom passed away 35 years ago - She loved flowers and was an avid gardener for as long as she could manage to do it. Every Mother's day I would bring her a large boguet of Lilacs. If the lilacs weren't quite out yet it would a boguet of Lilly of the Valley or violets. Always some scented floral boguet.
When she was in the nursing home and could not go out I prepared a whole meal of her favorite foods and took them over to the nursing home. There was a tiny visitor's room with a table and chairs. I would wheel her in and we would have a banguet - tablecloth, napkins silverware - the real deal. Good home made coffee the way she liked it. I had vacuum containers so the food was hot. I did this several times a year not just on Mother's Day.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Mother's Day has been a bit odd for me for most of my adult life. My mother was taken from me in 1982, I never had children and Sweetie's mother passed away this February. All of that makes for a rather strange "holiday".

HOWEVER this year is going to be flat flippin AWESOME! After MIL's death I was able to locate my "adopted" son. (We lost track of each other a dozen years ago.) Tomorrow I am driving three hours to see him and meet his family. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid at Christmas! :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri May 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Mother's day at our house as it is for most part with special days sees us gather for a weekend of family time. Occasionally it's been a trip to the city for Mothers Day brunch, but I love preparing and everyone seems to enjoy Mother's Day right here at home. Won't say no to brunch next Sunday!

For years and years I have made a practice of adding 'new' to us recipes to add to the givens, this weekend have already printed recipes from the Billboard offerings. Billboard makes choosing recipes super easy especially when pressed for time. Need to add to my menu but for a start:
Adding Derf's scrambled eggs to our brunch menu http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/parmes ... -eggs-9500

For a couple of the something 'new' for Mother's Day weekend:
Bea's http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/redhot ... fries-8662
Luv's http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/creamy ... pread-5713
Derf's http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/marinated-shrimp-9403

One of the weekend desserts will be my super easy elegant looking Austrian Strawberry Torte that my family loves http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/austri ... torte-2808
The strawberries at the market lush, lovely and absolutely delicious, perfect for Linda's http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/heaven ... ondue-4376 dipped in chocolate these beauties served alongside will make for a great ending to our weekend.

Am hoping to find time to add Mother's Day ideas and recipes over at our Potluck Forum later this afternoon, be sure to pop over to join us and share some of your very favourite recipes for Mothers Day. :)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 pm

racrgal wrote:Mother's Day has been a bit odd for me for most of my adult life. My mother was taken from me in 1982, I never had children and Sweetie's mother passed away this February. All of that makes for a rather strange "holiday".

HOWEVER this year is going to be flat flippin AWESOME! After MIL's death I was able to locate my "adopted" son. (We lost track of each other a dozen years ago.) Tomorrow I am driving three hours to see him and meet his family. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid at Christmas! :D
I am so happy for you! I got goosebumps just thinking how great this is going to be for you!!! Happy Mother's Day for sure for you If you can take photos!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Gerry sounds wonderful PLEASE take photos! It is difficult when there are people all round but we sure would love to share your super Mother's Day

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Bergy wrote:
racrgal wrote:Mother's Day has been a bit odd for me for most of my adult life. My mother was taken from me in 1982, I never had children and Sweetie's mother passed away this February. All of that makes for a rather strange "holiday".

I am so happy for you! I got goosebumps just thinking how great this is going to be for you!!! Happy Mother's Day for sure for you If you can take photos!
Thanks Bergy. I'm so excited I could just pee. :lol: I've never been a big Facebook person but that is how I found him. :)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 pm

racrgal - That is so great. I don't do facebook but this sure helps restore my faith in it

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat May 11, 2013 12:25 am

My youngest daughter called tonight asking what I wanted for Mothers Day . I told her for her to cook for me, 3 meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. She said, well ok. But then I told her DH is taking us all out, she sounded relieved! :lol:

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 am

Dissie I can hear her Wheeew (relief) sound way up here in Canada

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat May 11, 2013 12:44 am

You know Bergy, I had the biggest grin on my face when I said it and a twinkle in my eye. I thought it was perfect trick to "play on her". :D