Mother's Day Event

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Bergy

Mother's Day Event

Post by Bergy » Tue May 07, 2013 12:21 pm

Here are a few bits that you may not know about the origin of Mother's Day

*The earliest history of Mother's day dates back to the ancient annual Spring festival the Greeks dedicated to maternal Goddesses. They honoured Rhea, wife of Cronus, and mother of many dieties

* Early Christians celebrated Mother's day of sorts during the festival on the fourth Sunday Lent in honour of the Virgin Mary

*In England this holiday was expanded to include all mothers and was called Mothering Sunday. It dates back to the 1600's.

* The idea of an official celebration of Mother's Day in the US was first suggested by Julia Ward Howe in 1872. She was an Activist, writer and poet (wrote "The Battle Hymn of the Republic). She suggested that June 2 be celebrated as Mother's Day and should be dedicated to Peace.

* Actually Anna Jarvis is recognized as the Founder of Mother's Day in the US. She was a loving daughter and never forgot her Mother's word that she wanted to see a day to celebrate all mothers, living and dead, and pay tribute to the contributions made by them to society. Anna sent Carnations to to the church service in Grafton to honour her Mother. They were her favorite flower. She dedicted herself to getting Mother's Day officially recognized. In 1914 President Woodrow Wilson signed a joint resolution declaring the 2nd Sunday in May as Mother's Day

* Today Mother's Day is celebrated in many countires around the world. It has become hugely popular but unfortunately it has become very commercialized and in a sense that takes away from the intent of honouring Mothers.

Enjoy Your Day, Honour Your Mother, or, I Hope, Have your Children Honour You

Sue

Re: Mother's Day Event

Post by Sue » Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 pm

I will try my best to participate, but as you all know, the sting of my mom's passing is very recent.
But so far I am thinking of making bbq'd ribs, and trying to recreate her *famous* potato salad, and always when we had a bbq, she's make salad, tossed in orange French dressing.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed May 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Oh Sue, it does hurt, especially your first Mother'd Day without her. Recreating some of her favorite recipies is sure one way of honouring her!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm

I was thinking of taking my mother out to eat on Mothers Day. Maybe I should cook for her? But then again, hubby said he wants to take me, my mom and my kids all out to eat. Probably should let him do that for me.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 am

Dissie Never say no to an offer like that! You can always cook a nice dinner for your Mom the following Sunday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chef shapeweaver

Post by Chef shapeweaver » Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 am

My mother passed away several years ago, and I miss her a lot.
So I'm going to make a meal for myself from things she would have enjoyed . :D

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Thu May 09, 2013 8:30 pm

That is great Shapes! A lovely thing to do in memory of your loved Mother!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:18 am

Shapes, I like what you do as well.

It's been about 8 years since my Mom passed, just last month actually. I lost my Aunt, who lived with my parents; then, 1 1/2 yrs later Gramps; only 6 weeks after that, my Mom. Then Dad, 1 1/2 years later. Wiped out my entire family except my ex, my son and an Uncle I never met. Holidays, can be difficult.

For a few years, I made Moms favorite meal, I also bought an orchid, her favorites (I have many); and, I would set a nice table with the orchid. I still do that often.

Mom and I also like to go to the beach for Mothers Day. This year - I'm making myself a sausage egg burrito, peppers, onions, cheese and wrapping it up and heading to the beach. I'll take myself a Bloody Mary too in my thermos (vodka in that little bottle on the side, no open container). I'll watch the sunrise. Take a swim, relax by the pool ... and that is something Mom would of enjoyed!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri May 10, 2013 10:02 am

KC sounds like a perfect start to your day and a lovely remembrance to your Mom.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 am

Yep, I like to eat or do something she liked to remember her. The beach and pool would make her happy ... Mom would of never eaten out of Mothers Day. Never on holidays for her ... she would of rather cooked, lol. She would strike me down from beyond if I went out, :shock: :o :shock: