St Patrick Day Event

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Kchurchill5

Re: St Patrick Day Event

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:09 am

CBC for dinner, cooked in the crock in Guinness, spices and fresh thyme; and a splash of brandy. The broth I slightly thickened and also served with a creamy sauce (sour cream, mustard, and horseradish). I also served Guinness Beer Bread with caraway seeds and caramelized onion. Forgot to take a pic of the bread. Plenty of beer, Irish Coffee and Creme de Menthe brownies.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am

A Quick and Easy Soup Recipe

For those of us who made the famous CBC, and if like me, sometimes have leftover cabbage and veggies, this is a great way to use them up.

I always make extra of the cabbage, carrots, onions, and spuds, just for this. Now, I cook mine right with the corned beef which adds flavor, I also cook mine in beer, even more flavor. Now, the vegetables are already cooked, so this is a very fast recipe.

Add, all your leftovers to a blender along with some chicken broth and puree until smooth.

Transfer to a pot and bring to medium heat. Add a bit more broth until you get the consistency you like. Season with salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme and fresh chives.

Optional:
- Add a bit of heavy cream if you like your soup a bit creamy
- Garnish with chopped ham, bacon, or even a little corned beef

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:00 am

KC that is BEAUTIFUL CBC It looks so moist and good. Great tip on using leftover veggies too

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:10 am

Thx B, the crock pot is so easy and it really does come out good.

I still have enough leftovers for 1 night and Reubens of course!!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:18 pm

That's the old Pioneer spirit racrgal Looking forward to seeing the soda bread. It's all an adventure - right?

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Yes Bergy, yesterday was quite the adventure. I grew up on a farm in the Midwest, 13 hours without power just requires a bit of adjustment. We had the fireplace, a way to cook and a generator to run the fridge. Sweetie was trying to figure out how to use the generator for the TV! He's such a city boy. :roll:

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:36 pm

racrgal wrote:Yes Bergy, yesterday was quite the adventure. I grew up on a farm in the Midwest, 13 hours without power just requires a bit of adjustment. We had the fireplace, a way to cook and a generator to run the fridge. Sweetie was trying to figure out how to use the generator for the TV! He's such a city boy. :roll:

It takes us gals to set they straight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Bergy wrote:
racrgal wrote:Yes Bergy, yesterday was quite the adventure. I grew up on a farm in the Midwest, 13 hours without power just requires a bit of adjustment. We had the fireplace, a way to cook and a generator to run the fridge. Sweetie was trying to figure out how to use the generator for the TV! He's such a city boy. :roll:

It takes us gals to set they straight :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sure does! I just laughed at him as I sat by the window working on Christmas napkin rings. 8-)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am

It's Been and Gone so we can put away the shamrocks, green beer, colcannon, Corned Beef and Cabbage for another year! Well pehaps we may make some of these recipes before next St Paddy's day!!

Thanks to all of you that shared your recipes, photos and comments. This event is now being moved to the photo archives Cheers to you all