JANUARY EASY MEALS EVENT

Moderators: Bergy, Derf, QueenBea

Roxanne

Re: JANUARY EASY MEALS EVENT

Post by Roxanne » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Oh man, *drool!* Love the photos Derf, especially the butter on those biscuits, I need one of those now. I hope you all feel better soon.

Okay, so it didn't occur to me before to submit this cause it is a local cuisine which I make often and have made quite a few times since January began lol. I finally wrote up a recipe for it a while back and it was one of the first recipes I submitted to Zazz, but the photo is new :D. One of my absolute faves, great side dish for stews or curries or even saucy vegetarian dishes like callaloo. I like to eat all on it's own with ketchup and pepper too, yum!

My Trini Style Cassava (Yucca)

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 pm

What a gorgeous photo Roxanne!! I have never heard of yucca!!! What is it?

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm not quite sure how to describe it except as a root vegetable. It's definitely different in taste and texture from potatoes and yams. To be honest, here we call it cassava and I only learnt that it is known as yucca in the USA through being on recipe sites. If you look at the photo here, you get an inside and outside view of it. You peel off the skin and that pink part is part of the skin, comes off super easy and cook from there. But if you get it frozen, all that stuff is already done so you just have to cook it. Here is another photo with the skin being peeled off.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:31 pm

very interesting, I'm going to have to look around for it!!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Roxanne, what a beautiful pic! You say its a staple and I have never had it. I have heard of it and I think I have even seen it at the grocery store, just never knew what to do with it! What a pretty dish! :o

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Roxanne, the yucca is making me giggle. Your pic is beautiful and it does look yummy. THIS is a yucca where I live. ;) It doesn't have much for roots and I'm not going to try to eat the flowers or the foliage. :lol:

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Cool Bea, hope you find it.

Maybe I should have said staple in Trinidad ;) hehe. If you do find it and try my recipe I hope you like the outcome. The main thing is to make sure the cassava itself is boiled nice and soft before the frying stage. There are some which can be so hard and no matter how much you boil it, man it just doesn't soften up. I highly doubt that'd be for the frozen stuff, but for the fresh stuff, if the inside has any blue-ish lines, then it's a hard piece, you don't want to even try cooking that cause it'd be boiling forever!

lol racr, well cassava trees look like this above ground and the root is what we eat as the cassava. My dad planted some years back but I can't remember how large the trees got before he dug up the cassava for eating. We just usually buy cassava fresh from the market or roadside stands though.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Roxanne, thank you SO much for posting the picture of your "yucca". I love seeing different plants in different parts of the world. 8-)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:52 pm

Derf Perfect dinner for a cold (cold 2 ways) night. Great photos too. The biscuits look so light

Roxanne That photo is stunning - The colours are so beautiful - It looks like dessert. We can sometimes buy Cassava root so I will keep my eyes peeled Love to try that recipe

Updated to here

gkwillow

Post by gkwillow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm

A tasty meal that came together out of the need to use what I had in my refrigerator/freezer.

Thyme for Sausage and Yellow Squash Stir-Fry
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/thyme- ... h-stir-fry

I served this with sauteed apple slices thickened with a cornstarch slurry and sweetened with brown sugar & cinnamon.

The pictures reflect my "creative attempt" to use the sunlight streaming in the window... :roll:

ImageImage