Weekly menu

ellie

Weekly menu

Post by ellie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:30 am

Is anyone interested in posting their weekly menus. I plan weekly menus and it makes shopping so much easier.

My menu this week is:

Sunday: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/crustl ... uiche-3820 with salad
Monday: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/crunch ... asts-12874 with vegetables and salad
Tuesday: pizza night
Wednesday: looking for a sandwich idea or pulled pork from the freezer and fruit salad and chips
Thursday: hotdogs and chips
Friday: some kind of fish and salad

Kchurchill5

Re: Weekly menu

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:01 am

Sorry I missed this post Ellie.

First, I always make a weekly menu. Now, I cook for 3 ladies, plus work full time; so, I HAVE to be organized. However, even for just me - I plan my week out as well.

That doesn't mean, there are days where I change things up. I may switch days, or skip a day and reschedule, etc.
Like you said; I think it makes cooking each night so much easier. Also, it cuts down on the costs of your food budget.
Take out, drive through, delivery, eating out, etc., are all VERY expensive.

I keep a running DRAFT email, which I update daily. Saving it allows me to keep it open, and just change it when needed.
I make a menu for 2 weeks at a time. Now, it's always changing; but, it's a starting point. At the bottom of the email, I add notes, or comments to myself. Maybe something I want to make, or a special ingredient to use. Especially if I go to the store and find something on sale. I just move up everything by a day.

This way, I am constantly using up what I have vs buying new items. Every weekend, I do a quick pantry, fridge, and freezer check.
I found couscous, several white beans, bacon, 1 grilled chicken breast, 3 lamb chops; and, a pasta casserole. So, those I will use in some way this week-next week

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:05 pm

I normally do my menu Sat through Fri
--------------------------------------------

SAT...I got a family pkg of drumsticks and thighs a few weeks ago. 2-3 in each ziplock with a basic bottled Italian dressing. Froze. Thaw in the fridge, grill and finish with BBQ.
I mixed a mesquite sauce with apple jelly, bourbon and chipotles, carrots and peas, and baked spud

SUN...Tuna/egg salad stuffed in a tomato over greens; whole wheat roll and fruit

MON...
Ladies #12 and #2: Greek chicken, lemon orzo; salad with marinated artichokes
Me: Pine nut crusted snapper (fresh caught); grilled zucchini; cold pasta with tomato, basil and Feta

TUES...My favorite ribs on the grill; cheesy potato packets; cabbage wedge in foil packs as well

WED...
Ladies #1 and #2: Cabbage Soup; chicken salad sandwich with apples and pecans
Me: Leftover ribs (I know more ribs, it's just me); mac and cheese (cleaning out the freezer); watermelon or mango

THURS...
Me: Cabbage soup; BLT; fruit

FRI...
Ladies #1 and #2 - Card/Game Night: TBD
Me and a Friend - Movie Night: Her treat, I'm guessing something from our favorite Thai place. It's been a couple of months since we have had it.
or
there is a pasta casserole in the freezer as well, just in case

KareninMass

Post by KareninMass » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 pm

I find it so hard to do a weekly menu in the summer. But I agree it is the best way to use up what you have and to save money. So I will try to play along .

I alos plan Sat - Fri. usually if all the leftovers are gone and we adhered to our plan then I will spurge on pizza or take out Fri night.

Sat - beach house - Steamed Clams - which we dug ourselves, Orzo Salad with chicken and bread. Fruit for dessert.

Sunday - Grilled subs late afternoon, snack on the way home

Monday - Pizza ( boys planning to go to beach for several days and I am working late )
Tuesday - just me. Sauteed mushrooms with peppers and onions over polenta ( or a baked potato ). Sliced tomatoes

Wednesday - Late meeting - so Frozen Pierogies with sauteed veggies

Thursday - Chili w/ cornbread

Friday - Tilapia w/squash and baked potato

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:25 am

KareninMass wrote:I find it so hard to do a weekly menu in the summer. But I agree it is the best way to use up what you have and to save money. So I will try to play along .

I alos plan Sat - Fri. usually if all the leftovers are gone and we adhered to our plan then I will spurge on pizza or take out Fri night.

Sat - beach house - Steamed Clams - which we dug ourselves, Orzo Salad with chicken and bread. Fruit for dessert.

Sunday - Grilled subs late afternoon, snack on the way home

Monday - Pizza ( boys planning to go to beach for several days and I am working late )
Tuesday - just me. Sauteed mushrooms with peppers and onions over polenta ( or a baked potato ). Sliced tomatoes

Wednesday - Late meeting - so Frozen Pierogies with sauteed veggies

Thursday - Chili w/ cornbread

Friday - Tilapia w/squash and baked potato
I love steamed clams -- when I was a kid we used to dig them and have steamed clams a lot, but now in NM they don't taste the same - but I miss them!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:36 am

Karen, I think you have a great menu. Creating a menu isn't always easy, I know. But, you got a great plan. I plan mine out; but, I change too.
And with families and kids it is much harder; as kids always seem to be heading in different directions - I remember mine. He is 24 now; so, I went through all that.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:38 am

You guys, chili is great to have on hand in the freezer. I almost always have some on hand.
I do a turkey white bean chili in the summer - and, a heavier meat chili during the cooler months.

In the summer; fun to add all the garnishes, avocado, fresh tomato, lime, a spicy cheese, etc. Or maybe serve with cheese quesadillas to dip.