Breakfast for Dinner Party

Kchurchill5

Breakfast for Dinner Party

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 am

I cook for a couple of ladies who love to entertain. On Friday's they have a card/game night, for anywhere between 4-12 people. Always changes.

Well, yesterday, they wanted to recreate a steak house dinner they had as breakfast. So, I worked up a menu.

To my surprise, when I got there; they were all dressed PJ's and robes, slippers; they had rented Breakfast at Tiffany's, and had TV tables set up. They are mostly in the 70's, but so young at heart. It is just health issues that prevents them for standing/cooking/cleaning. etc.

So ... if you want to have a fun party to entertain with; this is a fun idea. Order your favorite movies; serve breakfast food, wear PJ's, play your favorite card or board game and just relax.
Dinner parties don't have to be EXPENSIVE, OR FANCY.

The menu was:
Bloody Mary's (from scratch) with a shrimp skewer, and a celery skewer
Eggs baked in tomatoes with a green hollandaise sauce over baby greens
Grilled skirt steak
Steakhouse pan fried potatoes (almost a mash), with mushrooms, mixed peppers, and onions
Grilled peaches, chilled and served with mascarpone and honey
Dessert wine and a Mexican coffee
Small cheese danish bites as a dessert

Anyways, it was cheap for 8 people and just something fun. Try a breakfast party for dinner sometime.

I already got an email this am; and they loved it. They played cards till 10pm, late for them, lol. But want to do it again. Kudos for them, for having some fun, and enjoying life.

chattes

Re: Breakfast for Dinner Party

Post by chattes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:36 pm

I love reading about your 2 ladies. They crack me up!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:19 pm

They do. They are just a HOOT! They are fun, willing to try anything, and really enjoy life. When I am there age, I want to be like them. It's hard that medically, that can't that long to cook, or clean for themselves; but, it doesn't keep them down. That is for sure.

To walk in to a house last night with 8 70 yr olds dressed in jammies was just so funny. And they all brought their own TV tables. It was crazy. But, this is them.

I guess that is the whole point of this thread. Try something different for dinner. Breakfast, or even a soup and sammy party. You can entertainy and have fun with just about any food.

Chattes, when I first met with Lady #1, I knew immediately, she was a keeper.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Kim, they sound a bit like my mother. She is just like that. I mean, she is very active and can cook for herself, but she has fun and just enjoys life! You never know what she is going to say or do next. I love that about her. She is 75.
A breakfast for dinner party sounds like a great time! Of course, I would have served bloody mary's too. I just love those!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 am

It was fun Dis, luckily they all live on the same two block, so they can walk or wheel home, lol. They are all in there 70's, one of the guys just turned 80 I believe.

Trust me ... they certainly sucked down those Bloody Mary's, :shock: :lol: :shock:

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 pm

Truthfully, I would have too. I have recently started to enjoy them quite a bit! :lol: I like mine extra spicy. I even add more hot sauce, not tobasco, to the mixes that say hot.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:38 am

I have to add horseradish too. Definitely one of my favorite drinks. Try citron vodka or red pepper vodka, both add a really nice flavor.

chattes

Post by chattes » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:32 pm

I hope I'm as loony as your 2 ladies when I'm their age. (and that is just around the corner! Yikes!!) If you're in half way decent health and have some of your marbles, why not have fun?!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:04 pm

I keep wanting to like Bloody Mary's, but tomato juice makes me gag. Most of my friends really enjoy them, though!