Using up the Freezer/Fridge/Pantry Stash

HeatherFeather

Using up the Freezer/Fridge/Pantry Stash

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:54 am

I am planning to move at the end of this month. I still am not sure where, just that it will either be a local move or about 5 hours away (closer to my Mom's). I don't want to lug lots of food from one house to the next, especially if it is a long trip. Sealed pantry items are fine to lug, but I want all of the cold stuff used up and as many of the already opened pantry items to go (including open bottles of oils, vinegar etc).

If you are also trying to use up your food stash this summer, please feel free to add your list of ingredients you need to use up too. Hopefully we can all help make suggestions on how to quickly get all that stuff eaten up.

I'll post my list below.

HeatherFeather

Re: Using up the Freezer/Fridge/Pantry Stash

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:04 am

UPDATE: Jump to the end for the new list of what I need to use up, got a lot used up already

Ok, I will keep adding to this later, this is off the top of my head for now:

Freezer:
1 small single portion steak
frozen whole green beans
frozen corn
cauliflower
1 tub homemade spaghetti sauce
1/4 bag frozen Italian meatballs
frozen blueberries
mango puree
brussells sprouts
some Asian steamed buns with various fillings
broccoli
1 pkg beef tenderloin tips (enough for 2 servings only)
1 skinless boneless chicken breast

Fridge:
a few different salad dressings - blue cheese, orange ginger, buttermilk ranch
ketchup
several kinds of mustard
banana pepper rings
orange marmalade
red currant jelly
apricot jam
strawberry jam
butter
cottage cheese
a block of cheese (marbled Colby/Monty jack)
Parmesan cheese
fresh blueberries & strawberries
watermelon, cut

Pantry Items:
Masa Harina (bought for one recipe, never use this)
Self Rising Flour, All Purpose Flour
Cornmeal
Sugar (white, brown, powdered)
Rice: Basmati Rice,Wild Rice, Sushi Rice, Brown Rice
Mini pasta shapes (a couple of different kinds, don't mind mixing them)
Linguine
Soy Sauce (low sodium), maybe 1/4-1/3 left
Teriyaki Sauce (low sodium), maybe 1/3 left
Hot sauce
Mirin
Worcestershire Sauce

I also have some canned pears and apricots, canned milks (evap, condensed, coconut), cream of broccoli soup, cream of asparagus soup, canned tomatoes

My food budget for this month is essentials only - I will buy only the fresh ingredients I need like milk, eggs, protein, fresh veggies etc. No pantry staples or specialty ingredients until after i move.
Last edited by HeatherFeather on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Soup=
frozen whole green beans
frozen corn
cauliflower
1 tub homemade spaghetti sauce
1/4 bag frozen Italian meatballs
Mini pasta shapes (a couple of different kinds, don't mind mixing them)

watermelon lemonade= I have a recipe
watermelon, cut

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:22 am

Moving a month later than originally planned, so I have more time to use things up. Here is what is left:

Staples: canned tomatoes, canned pears, canned chickpeas, a few canned milks (evap & coconut, might be a can of condensed sweetened in there too), salad dressing, rice, couscous, frozen waffles, jelly, various mustards, plus dry baking supplies (flours, a few cake mixes, etc), my pantry condiments (oils, vinegars etc), and spices (just about everything).

Meats & Fish: 2 cans Spam, 1 can of crabmeat, 1 can of tuna, 1 pouch of smoked salmon, 3 chicken breasts, approx 6 servings of steak tips, 1 pound ground beef, 4 slices bacon.

Veg & Dairy: a couple of onions, milk, sour cream, plain yogurt, half n half, frozen veggies & fruit (corn, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cranberries, mango pulp, cauliflower, frozen whole green beans), plus I will keep buying more eggs & fresh veggies as needed right up until we move

I also have some alcohol I'd rather not lug unless it is too expensive to get rid of and the bottle is pretty full. We don't usually drink alcohol, so just drinking it won't happen. I have a nearly full bottle of dark rum, kirschwasser, Irish cream, and sake. I have a nearly empty bottle of each of these: Bourbon, Grand Marnier, Scotch, sherry, and some Blackberry Wine (3/4 full bottle).

The goal is to use up everything I can that has already been opened that is normally stored in the pantry, and eat up any heavy canned/bottled items so I do't have to lug them. Obviously all of the cold stuff has to get eaten or it will get tossed out/given away.