Need help/suggestions for my menu

HeatherFeather

Re: Need help/suggestions for my menu

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Actually that is recipe enough for me. I have always been pretty good about being able to follow a concept or just a list of ingredients without any details. That was really how I had learned to cook. It was only later on that I started actually following recipes. That sounds good - and dd loves mushrooms so I think it will be a hit.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:40 pm

hope you enjoy Heather! That is one of those dishes that just comes together because of personal tastes

Mary

Post by Mary » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 am

I was away from the computer when you posted about the 2% milk, and it's not my recipe (but from the list of recent recipes on the home page). Nevertheless, I'll bet 2% would work.

A couple of additional suggestions:

A crab quiche (those chunks will flake if they seem too big)

A trifle from a cake mix and the fruit -- with a layer of sour cream and mango pulp or with some of that custard. Bake the cake in two layers, and you can eat one and freeze one for later.

Kitten's recipe sounds good: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/easy-s ... essert-two

I also went back to edit the earlier comment on drumsticks. I meant to suggest that the meat could be added to a seasoned broth to create a soup. It could also be added to a quiche or to the macaroni salad.

If your daughter is old enough, you might try some jello shots (or just make some for yourself :P )

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 am

Mary wrote:I was away from the computer when you posted about the 2% milk, and it's not my recipe (but from the list of recent recipes on the home page). Nevertheless, I'll bet 2% would work.

A couple of additional suggestions:

A crab quiche (those chunks will flake if they seem too big)

A trifle from a cake mix and the fruit -- with a layer of sour cream and mango pulp or with some of that custard. Bake the cake in two layers, and you can eat one and freeze one for later.

Kitten's recipe sounds good: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/easy-s ... essert-two

I also went back to edit the earlier comment on drumsticks. I meant to suggest that the meat could be added to a seasoned broth to create a soup. It could also be added to a quiche or to the macaroni salad.

If your daughter is old enough, you might try some jello shots (or just make some for yourself :P )
/faints Oh my no she's not anywhere near old enough for that yet :lol: :o :lol:

Misa

Post by Misa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:56 pm

Heather, I'm struggling with my menu, so I don't know what help I am today, but...

Ground Beef recipes for 2 - Taste of Home

I remember there's quite a few recipes that use 1/2 lb of ground beef in the old Cooking for 2 mags, so maybe there's something in that search that might be of use and let you stretch that beef a bit.

*When you go to the next page, double check the recipes. For some reason, at times, it loses the 1-2 servings filter when you navigate to the next page. :?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:59 am

I'm sorry if I am copying anyone else suggestions.

Cauliflower, I would make a sauce with the sour cream, milk and cheese and serve as a creamy casserole.

Edamame, peas, corn and carrots make a wonderful chilled salad with a light rice wine vinaigrette. You can also just use peas and edamame with some red onion too.

Corn, and that leftover chicken along with rice or beans would make a nice mexican stir fry. Add some tomatoes and serve with tortilla chips or roll in a tortilla. Add salsa or sour cream and cheese if you want.

Beef tips I would saute with onion, broth and maybe the canned tomatoes, simmer and serve over the egg noodles.

Crab and corn cakes, using the crab, corn, and a base of a baking mix, some onion and maybe pimentos or red peppers (optional), saute and serve with sour cream as a topping

Can't help with hotdogs, I only grill those in a bun.

Burgers, brown with onions and then cover with tomato sauce - finish with cheese and serve over egg noodles

Ground beef, add to a soup with the edamame, corn, peas, carrots, some broth, elbow pasta, and tomatoes for a nice soup. Serve with a cheese topping.

Mashed cauliflower, definitely, mix with sour cream and some seasoning. Delish.

Absolutely marinate the chicken in the salad dressing. Top with a quick sauce of tomatoes, onion and maybe a little white wine and herbs, or minus the wine. Serve over the rice. Add mushrooms if you have some or black olives.

Make a custard with the milk, add some eggs and serve with a fresh fruit compote.

Or sweeten the sour cream with honey, brown sugar and garnish fresh fruit with the sour cream and nuts.

Edamame is great sauteed with tomatoes as a side dish.

Bake the cauliflower with tomatoes in a casserole, olive oil, onion and seasoning. Simple but very good.

Make a Spicy dip for the grilled chicken with MANGO, puree and add lime juice, garlic and red pepper flakes with honey. Use as a dip or a glaze over the grilled marinated chicken.

Puree the mango and add to a store bought BBQ sauce for the chicken. Delicious and easy.

Rice and peas of course for a side dish

If you have tortillas ... quesadillas, beans, chicken; or ground beef, rice and beans; tomatoes and chicken; crab and corn with avocado and rice; tons of possibilities.

Grind up the chicken and make meatballs, I bet you have some onion, celery and pantry items to make a meatball. Saute and brown then make a sauce with the mango, pureed tomatoes, pepper flakes or a hot pepper and brown sugar to make a great sauce for dipping. Perfect for sweet and spicy meatballs.

Of course a pot pie with the ground beef or chicken, vegetables. Or calzones.

Quiche, vegetable with all the vegetables and tomato.

How about pizza if you have dough or even a premade crust.

Stuffed cabbage rolls or peppers with the ground beef and rice.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Some ideas.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Lots of great ideas, thank you everyone. Kim- the idea of adding edamame to salad reminded me of a great Japanese potato salad I used to eat in London that had edamame beans in it. I bet either salad variety will please my daughter who is only picky if the food isn't totally off the wall (she says she hates "boring American comfort food").

Mary

Post by Mary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:06 pm

I was right about Kim. She is always amazing when she suggests combinations. :idea: