Unique Lunch Ideas

Kchurchill5

Unique Lunch Ideas

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 am

Here's the story ...
I was hired along with a fellow caterer to provide 45 pkg'd lunches M-F for 8 weeks for a company the next 8 weeks during training.

Basically pkg'd, but some buffet style; but anyways ... a few requirements were - pretty health conscious, portion controlled and for the most part easy to package up.

So, these may not be your everyday lunches for kids - I realize that; but I thought you may enjoy our menu. Mickeydownunder really helped me find many unique ideas and recipes for this challenge. Whether you actually use these recipes (which I do have if interested) or just use them as ideas for something you my want to create. Take a look. Some of these may be great ideas to make for a special luncheon, party or even just something fun to try.

There are some really fun and different ideas, so enjoy
----------------------------------
MON
Roast turkey croissants and a chilled fruited barley salad
Peppercorn crusted turkey (making it myself) thin sliced, served on a croissant with sliced apples, brie, a raspberry chutney, and caramelized onions.
On the side a chilled barley salad with cranberries, vegetables and toasted pecans.
----------
TUES
Pizza salad served with grilled poached peaches
A salad mix of baked Italian ham, pepperoni, and soprasotta, fresh mozzarella, baby greens; roasted tomatoes, artichokes and mushrooms; then tossed with a spicy red pepper Italian vinaigrette. Served with a side of pecorino romano and roasted garlic baked pita wedges.
On the side poached peaches in Proscetto, lightly grilled
----------
WED
Spinach mushroom ricotta fritta with a light tomato artichoke salad
Spinach, mushroom, and a roasted red pepper ricotta fritatta (warm or room temp); a tomato salad, w/onions and grilled artichokes; a light seasoned rice wine vinaigrette
----------
THURS
Gazpacho and mini tacos with a chilled bean and rice filling
A chilled bean (pinto, white and black) and rice, scallion, and Mexican seasoning filling to wrap in a flour tortilla. Garnish or sides will be a fresh guacamole, a lime creme fraische, and a fresh garden salsa. Sort of a 'mini taco bar.'
----------
FRI
Poached chicken breasts served chilled with a warm sweet white wine fontina cheese sauce; a chilled apple and grape salad
The chicken breasts are poached in white wine, apple cider, peppercorns and plenty of herbs. The sauce is a basic bechemel sauce with wine and plenty of cheese. But not too thick.
On the side; a light vinaigrette based salad with apples, grapes, nuts, veggies (celery, onions,leeks) tossed with fresh citrus
-----------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned for Week 2 ...

HeatherFeather

Re: Unique Lunch Ideas

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:48 am

Quite a few really unique sounding dishes. The salads especially caught my eye, as salad is one of my main lunch staples. I am always trying out new salad ideas.

Kchurchill5

Re: Unique Lunch Ideas

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:39 pm

That is why I posted. It is not every day lunches - this is a catering menu; but some of the ideas I thought might be fun to pass along.

I sometimes do lunches or breakfast for dinner; so it is always fun to get some new ideas rather than just having burgers or ham and cheese. Just ideas to think about.