Breakfast & Lunch ideas needed

HeatherFeather

Breakfast & Lunch ideas needed

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 am

I have decided that I need to plan out breakfast and lunch instead of just winging it, and I really could use some suggestions. I prefer to plan 1 week at a time, and I do like things that can be halved & frozen or made and eaten throughout the week (like a marinated salad or something).

For breakfast, I usually eat eggs, since I eat low carb mostly. However, my dd and bf love to eat carbs. I want to plan some breakfasts that I can have regularly for them, especially things I can cook once and freeze, then reheat later.

For lunch, I need things they will eat. I usually mix up a hearty salad for myself, but dd won't bother and bf wants heartier fare for lunch.

So far I have been trying to make waffles, with some extras to freeze. They do eat those happily. Going to try to do the same with pancakes too. Both of them don't like egg burritos or egg sandwiches at all (bf hates eggs, dd hates them in sandwich form).

For lunches, leftovers aren't cutting it because they now get eaten up too quickly. Hot dogs, lunch meats for sandwiches, and canned soup have become the staple, but they are bored with that.

Kchurchill5

Re: Breakfast & Lunch ideas needed

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am

You got your work cut out for you!

Chicken, ham, beef and egg salads are easy to prepare ahead; mayo or NON-mayo based.
They could eat them as is; added in tortilla wraps or on bagels. You can always have tomatoes and lettuce pre-sliced as well.

How about smoked salmon and cream cheese with bagles You would make up a simple spread, so just toast and spread on.

Nutella for toast is healthy especially with a sliced banana

I love to make a creamed sausage mix that can be reheated and served over biscuits (also microwaved or oven baked)

Salads, I don't like to keep more than a day or so in the fridge; but a barley or lentil salad can be very good with sandwiches. Having some cooked chicken sliced in a tupperware container can always be added to any salad.

Soups as you have mentioned.

I enjoy the tortilla wraps with cream cheese, ham, filling, rolled tight and then cut as pinwheels. Great make ahead and you can put anything in them. They stay well in the fridge too.

How about sausage patties made up ahead on biscuits with cheese. Easy and they freeze well. NO eggs. Or ham and cheese

Potato pancakes are great made with chopped ham. They cook up very quickly.

Goulash for lunch. Pasta, meat, tomatoes, etc, cheese, baked and put in small serving you can either reheat or just cook

Chicken stir fry with corn, black beans, onions, etc. Make ahead and just reheat for lunch. It freezes great.

Stuffed shells, with chicken, beef, or veggie, tomato or bechemel sauce; freeze and just nuke. Hearty and easy lunch.

Edamame salad is great, but somehow bf probably wouldn't be a fan. DD might. It is good and healthy and lasts a few days in the fridge.

Fruits salads are good, but I only like them fresh, after one day, I don't enjoy them.

White Bean and tuna salad is easy and quick to make.
--------------------------------------------------

Anyways, some ideas. I have most of the recipes or have them marked if you want any; I figured I would start with ideas first.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks - a lot of great suggestions there.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:11 pm

A french toast casserole is fantastic, but bf may not like with the eggs; but it is ore bread than eggs. It does reheat well.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:A french toast casserole is fantastic, but bf may not like with the eggs; but it is ore bread than eggs. It does reheat well.
He might eat that - not sure. I can put eggs into things as long as they don't taste eggy. I will ask him - that sounds like something dd would enjoy.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm

You can small ones in the disposable pans or small dishes, or one large one; you can also flavor it almond with extract or vanilla. you can add dry fruit, nuts which are all good sources of protein.

But you can make an easy fruit sauce with frozen peaches that stays 4-5 days in the fridge. Just nuke and pour over the fresh toast for each serving. Or Raspberry jam

There are many casserole on here Swedish Chef had one, but I don't have it marked any more; but I have tried several and they are all pretty much the same.

The last time I made it I took a store bought apple pie filling (no sugar) added cinnamon sugar and nuts and just heated it up and added it to the french toast for each serving. It was easy and quite tasty. Fresh fruit if you have it, but I always have a backup too on hand.