Grilled Florida Pompano

A unique and special online gallery where you can post your food photos as well as view other member's food photos, come and chat with our hosts for photo tips and advice

Moderators: Bergy, Derf, QueenBea

Sue

Grilled Florida Pompano

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Grilled Pompano
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/grilled-pompano-9787

I hid its little face for the squeamish. But I whacked the head right off with a knife when I went to serve it up so no matter. But yeah, you grill it with the head on. It gets wrapped in foil anyway while it's grilling.

Dissie

Re: Grilled Florida Pompano

Post by Dissie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Gorgeous Sue! Looks so good! The asparagus looks wonderful. Love the tomato garnish.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:27 pm

The tomatoes remind me of mom. Every summer she would bring in tomatoes from the garden and slice them up for dinner along with trimmed radishes or scallions. She loved raw veggies.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 pm

I would have gotten along well with your mom. Love fresh tomatoes and that is one of the reasons I adore summer. The fresh taste of summer tomatoes is absolutely the best. Nothing compares!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Looks delicious Sue.

My Mom also loved fresh tomatoes. She ate them like she would apples.... Bite right into it and gobble it up.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm with all you guys on the tomatoes; or any veggies. I love them. I seriously can eat them every night; which, when they are in season ... I do eat them every night.

The pompano looks great. How did you get pompano up there? It is not the easiest to find commercially. Lucky you! You must have a great fish market!! My places don't even carry it all the time ... I have to fish for it. I do love it; and that looks perfect. Nicely cooked.

It is such a sweet flavor, but a PIA to clean trust me. I have cleaned many

Love the asparagus around the sides.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I'm with all you guys on the tomatoes; or any veggies. I love them. I seriously can eat them every night; which, when they are in season ... I do eat them every night.

The pompano looks great. How did you get pompano up there? It is not the easiest to find commercially. Lucky you! You must have a great fish market!! My places don't even carry it all the time ... I have to fish for it. I do love it; and that looks perfect. Nicely cooked.

It is such a sweet flavor, but a PIA to clean trust me. I have cleaned many

Love the asparagus around the sides.
I made the fishmonger clean it. The day I catch it, I clean it. =))
I bought it at Jungle Jim's which has an extensive seafood department, but there are other places that carry whole fish too. You might check a local Asian grocer as they always seem loaded with fish.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:25 am

Wow lead mw to it! .Bautiful photo. Checking out the recipe

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

Smart gal with the fish guy. I hate when I catch flounder or pompano, just because I have to end up cleaning it, lol. I forgot about Jungle Jims, yes, they do have a huge fish counter. A couple of my fish markets carry it on and off, but it is so costly. None of my Asian markets carry much fish if any. I loved Jungle Jims when I stopped in one. What fun.

We do have one fish market, that is really only 20 miles away, but with traffic and being located out on the key, it is a royal PIA to get to. Takes almost 50 minutes without traffic. They carry sushi grade fish, beautiful ahi tuna, fresh eel, also pompano all the time. Decent price for what you get, they are just so far away to just get 1 item.

They also make their own dips too which are fantastic.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 am

Next time you head into Tampa, kc, you might want to check out MD Oriental Market. There are two locations, one in Tampa near USF and another in Brandon. I have only ever been to the one near USF and it is HUGE and they have a live fish counter. Never bought the fish from them, but I have shopped there a lot. The fish counter always has a big line of customers, so I guess the fish must be good.

It is as big as a small Publix - quite a selection and great prices. A really nice Asian market. The Brandon location is smaller, but might be closer to you.

oops almost forgot a link for you: http://www.yelp.com/biz/md-oriental-market-tampa

By reading the reviews in that link I learned that the Indian market across the street sounds like it might be another place I need to stop in and check out. Bet they have great prices on spices!