Soggy bottom on Apple Pie

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Puppitypup

Soggy bottom on Apple Pie

Post by Puppitypup » Wed May 23, 2018 6:29 pm

I made an apple pie over the weekend. The kind where you slice the apples thinly and toss with sugar and cinnamon and lemon juice, then placed in my homemade shell with a crumble on top.

I cooked the pie for 60 minutes at 375 F, but the bottom crust didn't cook at all. I had placed the pie on a cookie rack on a cookie sheet, since I had the apples so high.

I realized after the fact that I had forgotten to add any thickener. Could this be why the bottom crust didn't cook? Just too much juice from the apples?

The only other thing I did differently was that I made the pie crust with lard, something I'd always wanted to try.

Any thoughts on what caused the complete lack of cooking on that bottom crust? The apples and crumble topping were pefectly done. I want to make another pie this weekend, so I am open to suggestions!

Thank you :)

Julie

lovinretirement

Re: Soggy bottom on Apple Pie

Post by lovinretirement » Thu May 24, 2018 10:23 am

First of all, I'm sure not adding any thickener was the main reason it was soggy. But also, I would have put the pie directly on the cookie sheet instead of on a cookie rack, then the cookie sheet, so that it was in direct contact with the hot cookie sheet. Also, I always sprinkle some flour on the bottom crust before adding my fruit. Hope this helps.

Puppitypup

Post by Puppitypup » Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Thank you, I will try both of those ideas tonight.

SweetsnStuff

Post by SweetsnStuff » Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm

I would say yes that may have been the reason as there was too much liquid, I brush a thin amount of egg white over the bottom crust and bake unfilled for 5 minutes then fill and bake as required. Hope this helps you out

Puppitypup

Post by Puppitypup » Sun May 27, 2018 1:20 am

Ah, that's a good idea too! I tried tonight with Lovin's ideas and had much better luck!