loaf pans

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Puppitypup

loaf pans

Post by Puppitypup » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi All,

I use my loaf pans all the time for yeast bread, very rarely for quick bread. My pans are relatively heavy, and my yeast breads consistently turn out perfectly cooked.

I am not a fan of quick breads, but in the last two days I made two different recipes of banana bread for the Sunday School kids. Both loaves turned out much too dark at the bottom.

I did the "insert knife" test on both loaves at 50 minutes. Each time the knife came back sloppy enough that I left the loaf in 5 more minutes. On the second loaf, I added aluminum foil loosely for the last 15 minutes. Both loaves were a nice moist texture for the upper half.

I'm not sure how to fix the issue. I already have the oven rack at the second highest position. I can't imagine raising it two more inches will make that much difference, will it?

The only other thing I can think of is the color of my pans. My mother always insisted that baking pans should be a shiny aluminum color, but my loaf pans are a dark grey. Could that be the problem?

Any other ideas? Thank you! Julie :)

twinsmom

Re: loaf pans

Post by twinsmom » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 pm

I think I have the answer for you bake them in a glass pan. Yeast breads in metal and quick breads in glass. Hope this helps you out.

Puppitypup

Post by Puppitypup » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 am

Oh, I didn't even think of that! Makes sense though, my sister makes the same recipe and she has Mom's old pyrex loaf pan. Thank you!

twinsmom

Post by twinsmom » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Your very welcome I hope it works better for you :)