Question about low sodium corned beef

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Puggs

Re: Question about low sodium corned beef

Post by Puggs » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:52 pm

How did it turn out HeatherFeather?

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am

Low sodium Corned Beef is just a brisket in my opinion

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 am

The meat turned out with a nice texture and was very tender, however it lacked a strong enough flavor. I added a measured teaspsoon of sea salt during cooking, which was clearly not enough. We ground some on top at the table, but that didn't help the interior of the meat, nor did it help with veggies that had cooked in with the meat. Everything had a hint of good flavor, but not enough. It wasn't awful, but it was not my best St Patrick's Day dinner.

I put horseradish sauce on mine, which made all the difference to me. However, my bf likes his meat without any sauce to "cover the flavor of the meat." Hopefully the stores will get more regular corned beef brisket in stock after the holiday and go on sale so I can make another batch.

My verdict on the low sodium meat is : unless you have a medical reason to cut your sodium, I'd pass on the low sodium corned beef if at all possible. Next holiday, if they only have that available, I'll be making Guiness stew instead.

The horseradish dip/sauce I used was on sale at my local Publix and was WONDERFUL. It was Rothschild Toasted Horseradish Dip/Sauce. I will go out of my way to make sure I always have some of this on hand in the future. It saved my portion of the meat anyway.
this is what it looks like (I didn't pay that price, mine cost $4.49 at the grocery store)https://www.robertrothschild.com/produc ... radish-dip

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

You want to make your own. It is super simple. Pickling spice, and a brisket. Water, sugar, and pickling salt - like any brine. I do that every year. I also rinse mine very good after the brine.
I don't know the difference in the sodium content; but, it has never been too salty. I think this is one time of year; where I don't worry too much about that.

But definitely brisket. I cook mine in beer in the crock pot with all the veggies.
Never seen a low salt version.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:You want to make your own. It is super simple. Pickling spice, and a brisket. Water, sugar, and pickling salt - like any brine. I do that every year. I also rinse mine very good after the brine.
I don't know the difference in the sodium content; but, it has never been too salty. I think this is one time of year; where I don't worry too much about that.

But definitely brisket. I cook mine in beer in the crock pot with all the veggies.
Never seen a low salt version.
Every Publix here only carries the low sodium kind and then the alternate corned round, which is "lean" but sounds all wrong. I don't want low fat nor do I want low sodium. Regular brisket costs several dollars more per pound here, so corning my own would also be a problem for me. The corned beef prices were high enough as it is. I can't believe how much they charge for beef around here.

Usually Aldi gets them (the normal corned beef brisket), but they didn't get their shipment in stock even though it was the first day of their new sales flyer (in which corned beef was even on sale). They said their warehouse was completely out and they wouldn't get any more before the holiday. So annoying. Walmart was all out of the normal kindtoo, and theirs cost even more per pound than Publix did.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I usually get mine 3-4 weeks before and freeze; usually about $4 less for the brisket. Even if you buy them pre-corned. Buy a good month before. Saves tons of money.