Which veggie to use instead of mushrooms

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
HeatherFeather

Which veggie to use instead of mushrooms

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:09 pm

I often want to make recipes that call for mushrooms and I usually skip them because my bf won't eat anything that mushrooms have been cooked in. There are some recipes where it is no big deal to simply leave them out, but there are other dishes I'd really like to make - something like a salisbury steak or chicken marsala - where the mushrooms are more important to the dish.

I realize that the taste would change, but can any of you suggest any subs for mushrooms that would give some of the same substance to a dish? He is fine with most other veggies, although not a huge fan of onions (which I can at least cook with and they won't "contaminate" the recipe).

CameoCook

Re: Which veggie to use instead of mushrooms

Post by CameoCook » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:09 pm

HeatherFeather I don't think there is any substitution for mushrooms I would just omit them completely, if the recipe's main ingredient is mushrooms like mushroom soup or mushroom gravy I would just bypass that recipe, someone else may have a better idea than me :?

Sandram

Post by Sandram » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:14 pm

I have to agree with the previous poster I can't see there being any substitution for mushrooms

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:30 pm

My daughter and her husband both hate mushrooms and they use tofu to replace mushrooms. It works very well in stir fries and soups that call for mushrooms.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm

Try putting them in a food processor, blend them up and put into a rich brown gravy undetected.
Or buy dried mushrooms, grind them up in a blender and add to recipes for rich flavor.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 am

I do what lovin does ... I used to grind mushrooms and onions up and mix them with the sauce or gravy. My son never knew. To this day, one good friend doesn't know either.

I just puree with the sauce until smooth. Never knew, but loves the sauce.
Tofu, I have used; but, I don't like it; one friend does ... so, I'm not sure about that.

No real sub for the mushroom. I wish I could help more. I grind and puree usually.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:28 am

My friend used to grind up mushrooms and just a dash of liquid smoke, chick peas, and flour and made patties. I never made them; but, she loves them.
I know that doesn't serve the issues for some recipes; but, it may for other. "

Mushrooms are sort of like cilantro ... there really isn't any substitute.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 am

Unfurtunately, pureeing mushrooms won't work. He always notices the flavor of mushroom in anything. It ruins the dish for him entirely.

I am not expecting to get the same taste at all, or even the texture, just some other veggies that I could cut to the right size that might cook up to give a dish the correct bulk and some flavor (although different) to a sauce.

I have tried zucchini cut into cubes, but it gets too watery in sauces. Eggplant also seems to release too much water. He will eat both of those veggies, they just don't always work.

Sunny

Post by Sunny » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 pm

I have to agree no subs for mushrooms nothing comes close to their flavor, just omit them in the recipe ;)

MommaG

Post by MommaG » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Interesting, I never notice a flavor to mushrooms. I love them but always looked at them like a sponge to absorb the other flavors. I must be blinded by my love of mushrooms. :P