Need to use up white wine

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
HeatherFeather

Need to use up white wine

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:54 pm

I opened a bottle of white wine(Chardonnay) today for a recipe and have most of the bottle left. We don't typically enjoy drinking wine as a beverage, but don't mind using it in recipes. Whenever I actually remember to freeze the leftover wine, I never have a plan for it and it eventually gets frosted over and tossed. Whenever I stash it in the fridge, the same thing happens. I forget about it and it becomes vinegar and it gets tossed.

I'd love some suggestions for specific recipes from Zaaz that will use up at least some of the wine.

Kchurchill5

Re: Need to use up white wine

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

How about cheese fondue. Can use cheese, bread veggies, even chicken or beef, sausage, etc. Makes a whole dinner.

If you freeze and double bag it in ziploc; it will last at least 3 months. It gets frosty; but, that is ok.

I always add white wine to my marinara or spaghetti sauces.

Poached pears or peaches in wine are delicious. So is poached salmon or halibut too. Shrimp in a white wine butter sauce over pasta - scampi like. Also, scallops are good. Even chicken too.

White wine coolers, mixed with fresh mango juice, club soda and fresh lime.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Here's just a few ideas Heather, if you click onto the Advanced search under the main search box (top of page) type in white wine in the "With These ingredients" all the recipes with white wine will come up..

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/mi-patrona-25647

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/secret ... wder-25537

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/lingui ... rimp-25332
If you can eat, you can make it!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Thank you both for the good suggestions. I completely forgot about poached pears - that is a great idea. I also saved the recipe Kitten linked with the chicken and artichokes in it - that sounds really good.

Good to know that frosty wine can still be used. I have always looked at it and thought it was ruined at that point.

CookingAdventurer

Post by CookingAdventurer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm

Ive seen so many fantastic sounding recipes here with white wine, I just saw one yesterday I think :?

Found it! http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/chicke ... -pie-25688

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

HeatherFeather wrote:I opened a bottle of white wine(Chardonnay) today for a recipe and have most of the bottle left. We don't typically enjoy drinking wine as a beverage, but don't mind using it in recipes. Whenever I actually remember to freeze the leftover wine, I never have a plan for it and it eventually gets frosted over and tossed. Whenever I stash it in the fridge, the same thing happens. I forget about it and it becomes vinegar and it gets tossed.

I'd love some suggestions for specific recipes from Zaaz that will use up at least some of the wine.
Make vinegar.
Three parts wine to one part vinegar that is unfiltered and has a mother in it. Braggs apple cider vinegar is typically this way. You can tell because it won't be clarified and will have "stuff" floating in it.
They make kombucha the same way and if you've ever had brewed tea sit too long and it starts growing a glob in it that is what a mother is like.
But anyway, add the wine to the vinegar starter, cover it with a piece of cheesecloth and a rubber band to keep dirt out and let it sit in a cool dark place (like a basement, where you don't have to smell it) until the mother settles out to the bottom of the jar.
Think of it as a project you can try once, and if you don't like it, you were only ever out one bottle of vinegar, but if you like it, imagine all that wine you'd be repurposing.