Tabouli

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Sugarkins

Re: Tabouli

Post by Sugarkins » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:32 pm

Robyn I hope your tabouli turned out okay :D

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:16 pm

elleLee wrote:I have never made that I would love to see your recipe. It's nice to meet you Robyn Happy Thanksgiving!
Hello elleLee,

In response to your post, I am providing the recipe here. I'm not much on formal posting of recipes. There are always rules or other constraints that don't fit the way I cook. In this case, I just don't know what category would work. There seems to be no salad category (!), and certainly none where the main ingredient is parsley. So here you go, in this forum:

Ingredients:
¼ cup fine bulgur (fine grade is REQUIRED for this dish)
½ pound firm ripe tomatoes
2 lemons
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp ground allspice
2 bunches parsley (I like American, but Italian is more traditional)
¼ to 1/2 cup packed mint leaves (I like less. Traditional uses more.)
4 green onions, green part only
1/2 cup olive oil

Method:
Seed the tomatoes. Dice into ¼” cubes and put into a medium bowl. Juice one lemon and add to tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, and allspice. Set bowl aside.

Place the bulgur in a bowl large enough to hold the final dish. Cover with plenty of fresh cold water. Set aside for about 10 minutes.

During this time, begin chopping the parsley and mint. They should be chopped quite small, but not so small that they turn to dust. Finely slice the green onions.

After the bulgur has soaked, press out as much water as possible. Pour the tomato/lemon mixture over bulgur. “Cook” the bulgur in this mixture until tender.

Meanwhile, continue chopping the green ingredients. When the bulgur is ready, add the green ingredients and the olive oil and stir lightly to combine. Correct seasoning. Add all or part of the juice from the remaining lemon if necessary.

Needless to say, this traditional dish has many variations. Some of the more common ones are: White or red onions instead of green. (I will never use them as I will go to my grave not understanding how people can eat these onions raw.) Cinnamon instead of or in addition to allspice. Diced cucumbers as an additional ingredient. (Persian or English cucumbers preferred, with the skin on. If using American cucumbers, they must be skinned and seeded.)

However you make this refreshing salad, I hope you enjoy it!

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Sugarkins wrote:Robyn I hope your tabouli turned out okay :D
You know, it came out just fine! Very counter-intuitive that the lemon did not turn it yellow in the slightest. All the replies here warning to put in the parsley just before serving, and some of them saying the same for the tomatoes, were as I myself expected. I had to gamble on that post (not here) from the Abu Dhabi lady - and later found another one from a Lebanese - saying to mix it all in advance. These Middle Easterners are the horse's mouth, so to speak. They were right! It worked! (And also was quite good, as I hoped, with the otherwise very rich Thanksgiving dinner!)

elleLee

Post by elleLee » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Robyn wrote:
elleLee wrote:I have never made that I would love to see your recipe. It's nice to meet you Robyn Happy Thanksgiving!
Hello elleLee,

In response to your post, I am providing the recipe here. I'm not much on formal posting of recipes. There are always rules or other constraints that don't fit the way I cook. In this case, I just don't know what category would work. There seems to be no salad category (!), and certainly none where the main ingredient is parsley. So here you go, in this forum:

Ingredients:
¼ cup fine bulgur (fine grade is REQUIRED for this dish)
½ pound firm ripe tomatoes
2 lemons
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp ground allspice
2 bunches parsley (I like American, but Italian is more traditional)
¼ to 1/2 cup packed mint leaves (I like less. Traditional uses more.)
4 green onions, green part only
1/2 cup olive oil

Method:
Seed the tomatoes. Dice into ¼” cubes and put into a medium bowl. Juice one lemon and add to tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, and allspice. Set bowl aside.

Place the bulgur in a bowl large enough to hold the final dish. Cover with plenty of fresh cold water. Set aside for about 10 minutes.

During this time, begin chopping the parsley and mint. They should be chopped quite small, but not so small that they turn to dust. Finely slice the green onions.

After the bulgur has soaked, press out as much water as possible. Pour the tomato/lemon mixture over bulgur. “Cook” the bulgur in this mixture until tender.

Meanwhile, continue chopping the green ingredients. When the bulgur is ready, add the green ingredients and the olive oil and stir lightly to combine. Correct seasoning. Add all or part of the juice from the remaining lemon if necessary.

Needless to say, this traditional dish has many variations. Some of the more common ones are: White or red onions instead of green. (I will never use them as I will go to my grave not understanding how people can eat these onions raw.) Cinnamon instead of or in addition to allspice. Diced cucumbers as an additional ingredient. (Persian or English cucumbers preferred, with the skin on. If using American cucumbers, they must be skinned and seeded.)

However you make this refreshing salad, I hope you enjoy it!
Thank you so much for the recipe Robyn, that looks healthy and delicious, I plan on making it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:38 am

Let me know how it turns out!