Turkey with Soy Sauce?

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
natsgarden123

Turkey with Soy Sauce?

Post by natsgarden123 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:04 pm

My husband insists that I use a reynold's turkey bag to make this year's bird.
So I looked up recipes for this. ATK has reliable recipes and they have one on their website which uses a soy sauce paste ( soy sauce, butter, flour, pepper - cooked down into a paste);
The turkey is covered with this paste, then covered with cheesecloth and foil, then put into the bag
the bag is put on top of the v-rack amd roasted at 350f, until temp of bird is 155F.
the then bag is opened- the cheesecloth and foil is removed- the turkey is now roasted ( naked) at 475F for another 35 or so minutes ( until thigh is 175F)

Any thoughts on this? Soy Sauce?

AngelicCook

Re: Turkey with Soy Sauce?

Post by AngelicCook » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Soy sauce? humm never would have thought about using that, I prefer to taste the turkey not the flavorings, I just brush the bird with melted butter then season with salt and pepper, I have used a turkey cooking bag in the past and love those bags, as far as that soy sauce paste, that would be a no way for me for certain...
Happy Thanksgiving!

natsgarden123

Post by natsgarden123 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:24 pm

what do you think of the cheesecloth idea, to prevent the breast from overcooking?
I usually use butter also , and McCormicks Rotisserie Seasoning , lemons .

Catzmomme

Post by Catzmomme » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:57 pm

I find the cheesecloth/soy sauce an odd way to cook turkey I've never used that method but it may be good, if it's a recipe that has ratings read them as see what they say, for me I would make a test one first use a larger roasting chicken or a very small turkey before making it for Thanksgiving and serving to guests. Good luck!

SixBeans

Post by SixBeans » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:09 pm

natsgarden123 wrote:My husband insists that I use a reynold's turkey bag to make this year's bird.
So I looked up recipes for this. ATK has reliable recipes and they have one on their website which uses a soy sauce paste ( soy sauce, butter, flour, pepper - cooked down into a paste);
The turkey is covered with this paste, then covered with cheesecloth and foil, then put into the bag
the bag is put on top of the v-rack amd roasted at 350f, until temp of bird is 155F.
the then bag is opened- the cheesecloth and foil is removed- the turkey is now roasted ( naked) at 475F for another 35 or so minutes ( until thigh is 175F)

Any thoughts on this? Soy Sauce?
I think it may be great, never heard of it cooked like that but I'd be willing to give it a try, if it has good ratings then it must be good, the previous poster had a great idea to try a small bird first, you can never go wrong using a roasting bag I have used them years and years ago, I use a meat thermometor to make sure the turkey is completey cooked though. Let us know if it turned out good for you.

Mikekey

Post by Mikekey » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Sounds like a lot of extra work on a day usually full of enough work as it is. Why not just use the cooking bag recipe in the box of bags? I love it that SO's "insist" on a method and then don't do it themselves. :lol:

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Mike is right it does sound like a lot of extra work... I just do mine the old fashioned way, season and then baste, I don't think I would try that but it's probably a great recipe ;)
If you can eat, you can make it!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 am

I agree, too much work. I stuff mine with some herbs and onion for flavor. I do put some herb butter under the skin; but, that is even optional. Season and roast. I do like some veggies in the pan; makes extra good gravy. But, nothing fancy. A couple of carrots, onions, and celery ribs ... just cut in half. I keep it pretty simple. I don't always add the butter under the skin ... I just happen to have some in the freezer, so why not.

Soy, Not sure about that. I have used the cheesecloth method once. Turned out good; but, without it ... it looked just as good too.
The bag, not a fan.
JMO

natsgarden123

Post by natsgarden123 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Final Verdict;

I bought a fresh turkey this year. I used the Reynolds bag. I used a hybrid recipe.

I used McCormicks rotisserie seasoning mixed with butter as paste all over the turkey- as usual, I placed cut lemons in the cavity. I covered the breast only with cheesecloth and placed the turkey in the bag, poked a few holes in it, and placed the whole thing onto a v-rack.
I roasted the turkey at 350F the whole time-until the thermometer in the thigh was 150F. I then broke the bag so that the juices ran into the bottom of the roasting pan ( otherwise left the bag/cheesecloth on) and let the bird roast some more until the thigh was 170F.
I then removed the turkey (and the bag and the cheesecloth) and I let the naked turkey sit about 45 minutes on the counter. The turkey came out golden brown with crispy skin. The inside was moist. I used the pan juices to make gravy.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:07 pm

natsgarden123 wrote:Final Verdict;

I bought a fresh turkey this year. I used the Reynolds bag. I used a hybrid recipe.

I used McCormicks rotisserie seasoning mixed with butter as paste all over the turkey- as usual, I placed cut lemons in the cavity. I covered the breast only with cheesecloth and placed the turkey in the bag, poked a few holes in it, and placed the whole thing onto a v-rack.
I roasted the turkey at 350F the whole time-until the thermometer in the thigh was 150F. I then broke the bag so that the juices ran into the bottom of the roasting pan ( otherwise left the bag/cheesecloth on) and let the bird roast some more until the thigh was 170F.
I then removed the turkey (and the bag and the cheesecloth) and I let the naked turkey sit about 45 minutes on the counter. The turkey came out golden brown with crispy skin. The inside was moist. I used the pan juices to make gravy.
Glad the turkey turned out good for you!
If you can eat, you can make it!