Game of Thrones the Book

racrgal

Game of Thrones the Book

Post by racrgal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:04 pm

There are four books in the Fire and Ice series. The first is Game of Thrones. From what I can tell (keep in mind I only watched the summary on the HBO website) the first season appears to be based entirely on the first book "Game of Thrones".

I am reading the books in the order they were written.
A Song of Ice and Fire series:
A Game of Thrones (1996) — Locus Fantasy Award winner,[18] Nebula and World Fantasy Award nominee, 1997[19] I finished this book and watched the summary of the HBS series. From the little I watched, the summary parallels the book exactly.
A Clash of Kings (1998) — Locus Fantasy Award winner,[18] Nebula Award nominee, 1999[20] I'm about midway into this book.
A Storm of Swords (2000) — Locus Fantasy Award winner,[18] Hugo[16] and Nebula Awards nominee, 2001[21]
Part 1 Steel and Snow (UK edition only; US edition published as a single volume)
Part 2 Blood and Gold (UK edition only; US edition published as a single volume)

The four books are over 3,500 pages. From the first two books, it appears that they will run 700-800 pages each.

I am COMPLETELY enjoying these books!

racrgal

Re: Game of Thrones the Book

Post by racrgal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Ninner, now for your questions. I'm going to answer in caps just so I don't miss something you asked. I promise, I'm not yelling. :lol:

Not so much "thees and thous" as the names were hard to remember in the TV series. I am scared that I will tell you something that you have not reached yet in the book. Have you read about the Princess that marries the nomad (for a better word)? OH GOOD HEAVENS, THE NAMES. THEY ARE OUTRAGEOUS! IS THE PRINCESS THE REALLY, REALLY BLOND ACTRESS WHOSE BROTHER IS "CROWNED" WITH LIQUID GOLD?

Racrgal Posts
"Dany who married the Dothkari? I love her and have a hard time remembering she is so young. I like Arya's spunk as well. Tough little cookie."

Look at those names. So what book does "Dothkari, tough cookie" appear in? I am so confused. Dothkari is the man, Dany is the women he married & who is Arya???
DANY IS PRINCESS DAENERYS. MOST OF THE TIME THE BOOK CALLS HER DANY OR KHALEESHI AFTER SHE MARRIED KHAL DROGO THE DOTHKARI. DOTHKARI ARE A NOMADIC PEOPLE WHO CAN BE QUITE BRUTAL. WHEN DROGO DIES, DANY TAKES HER DRAGON EGGS INTO THE FIRE AND THERE THE DRAGONS ARE BORN. THIS IS VERY CLOSE TO THE END OF THE FIRST BOOK. THE SERIES MIGHT NOT HAVE "NAMED" THE DROTHKARI. DAENERY IS BARELY 13 WHEN HER BROTHER MARRIED HER OFF TO DROGO SO THAT DROGO WILL GIVE HIM AN ARMY. ARYA IS THE YOUNGEST DAUGHTER OF NED HAND TO THE KING ROBERT.

I really do feel that the TV series was based on the book "A Dance with Dragons (2011)". I THINK YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND WHEN YOU READ "GAME OF THRONES".

"Ned" was the brother of who? I am sorry that someone told you this before you got to this part in the book. NED WAS THE HAND TO THE KING WHO WAS BEHEADED BY THE YOUNG KING. HE HAD TWO DAUGHTERS, SANSA AND ARYA. SANSA IS PROMISED TO THE YOUNG KING JOFF AND VERY LADYLIKE. FOR ALL THE GOOD THAT DOES HER. IN THE BOOK, JOFF HAS HER BEATEN BY HIS MEN FOR ANY LITTLE OFFENSE. ARYA CUTS HER HAIR, ACTS LIKE A BOY AND GETS OUT OF THE CITY WITH A GROUP HEADED TO TAKE THE BLACK. NED MIGHT BE CALLED EDDARD IN THE SERIES. I WITH THESE DARNED PEOPLE DIDN'T HAVE SO MANY NICKNAMES! HARD ENOUGH TO KEEP UP THE THE ODD NAMES WITHOUT THROWING IN THE NICKNAMES.

I have ordered from the libray what I think is the 1st book? I would have like to do the 4 book bundle as you have with 3000pgs. I would have felt I hit the lottery. That does not seem to be available. I AM THRILLED THAT YOU ARE GETTING THIS BOOK. THIS SERIES IS ONE I WOULD BE HAPPY TO BUY!

Would you please from my above post/copy paste the order these books should be read in. I do not want to mess this up when reading them. THE ORDER IS IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

Please give me a hint where you are in the story at this time? I'M MIDWAY INTO BOOK TWO. FROM WHAT I COULD TELL ON THE HBS WEBSITE, THIS WILL BE SEASON TWO. Do you know yet about the Dragons? If so which book is that it? THE DRAGONS WERE BORN IN DROGO'S FUNERAL FIRE IN THE FIRST BOOK, GAME OF THRONES. THE BOOK ENDED SOON AFTER THAT.

HOW ABOUT "IMP", TYRON. HE'S QUITE A CHARACTER. I KEEP WONDERING WHICH "SIDE" HE WILL REALLY END UP ON. SEEMS HE HAS AN AGENDA ALL HIS OWN. HE HAS MANAGED TO GET NAMED HAND TO THE KING JOFF.

Yes I am sorry to be so full of questions. QUESTIONS ARE GOOD! I COULD TALK ABOUT THIS BOOK FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Racrgal, I am here & now I will make a post relying to yours. Please be patient.

I would like to say to the members that I do not like "Fantasy Fiction" BUT these books are a wonder to behold! The author George R. Martin has written many books but I think these are his highest rated.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm

I have just lost the post that took me more then an hour to write. I will be back when I have learned patience & how to save. Sorry Racrgal.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:19 pm

You MIGHT be able to get that post by using the browser arrow to go "back" a couple of screens. Sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. :(

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:52 pm

That was a really BIG poop!!!! I will start again. I answered a called & got timed out.

I will place your quotes in "Bold". This time I will do it in Word.

OH GOOD HEAVENS, THE NAMES. THEY ARE OUTRAGEOUS! IS THE PRINCESS THE REALLY, REALLY BLOND ACTRESS WHOSE BROTHER IS "CROWNED" WITH LIQUID GOLD?

Yes she is do you know what happen to her brother? I can't remember the "liquid gold". In the TV show they nearly brother & sister look albino because they are so white in hair colour. Quite a sight!

DANY IS PRINCESS DAENERYS. MOST OF THE TIME THE BOOK CALLS HER DANY OR KHALEESHI AFTER SHE MARRIED KHAL DROGO THE DOTHKARI. DOTHKARI ARE A NOMADIC PEOPLE WHO CAN BE QUITE BRUTAL. WHEN DROGO DIES, DANY TAKES HER DRAGON EGGS INTO THE FIRE AND THERE THE DRAGONS ARE BORN. THIS IS VERY CLOSE TO THE END OF THE FIRST BOOK. THE SERIES MIGHT NOT HAVE "NAMED" THE DROTHKARI. DAENERY IS BARELY 13 WHEN HER BROTHER MARRIED HER OFF TO DROGO SO THAT DROGO WILL GIVE HIM AN ARMY. ARYA IS THE YOUNGEST DAUGHTER OF NED HAND TO THE KING ROBERT.

Brutal is an understatement for the "Dothkari". I have been waiting for you to tell me you reached this past in the books about the Dragons. This is how the TV series ended & it was something that took you breath away when watching. Yes 13yrs. but lets talk about the brother?

NED WAS THE HAND TO THE KING WHO WAS BEHEADED BY THE YOUNG KING. HE HAD TWO DAUGHTERS, SANSA AND ARYA. SANSA IS PROMISED TO THE YOUNG KING JOFF AND VERY LADYLIKE. FOR ALL THE GOOD THAT DOES HER. IN THE BOOK, JOFF HAS HER BEATEN BY HIS MEN FOR ANY LITTLE OFFENSE. ARYA CUTS HER HAIR, ACTS LIKE A BOY AND GETS OUT OF THE CITY WITH A GROUP HEADED TO TAKE THE BLACK. NED MIGHT BE CALLED EDDARD IN THE SERIES. I WITH THESE DARNED PEOPLE DIDN'T HAVE SO MANY NICKNAMES! HARD ENOUGH TO KEEP UP THE THE ODD NAMES WITHOUT THROWING IN THE NICKNAMES.

Now I was under the impression that you thought Ned lost his head? There was a lot of lost heads but this is not the one I wish to discuss?

THE ORDER IS IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

Thank you I appreciate the listing. I really would have liked it in the 4 bundles but that is not to be. I will ask the Librarian about this.

INTO BOOK TWO. FROM WHAT I COULD TELL ON THE HBS WEBSITE, THIS WILL BE SEASON TWO. Do you know yet about the Dragons? If so which book is that it? THE DRAGONS WERE BORN IN DROGO'S FUNERAL FIRE IN THE FIRST BOOK, GAME OF THRONES. THE BOOK ENDED SOON AFTER THAT.

The dragon eggs were a gift when married. I can't remember who gave this gift? There was someone who tried to steal them. Do you remember who that was & what happen to them? At the end of TV series one, it will breath away! I do not think that the dragons were born in Drogo's funeral but part of it yes but so much more going on. How do you think the eggs were hatched?

HOW ABOUT "IMP", TYRON. HE'S QUITE A CHARACTER. I KEEP WONDERING WHICH "SIDE" HE WILL REALLY END UP ON. SEEMS HE HAS AN AGENDA ALL HIS OWN. HE HAS MANAGED TO GET NAMED HAND TO THE KING JOFF.

The "IMP" I think he is only out for himself & he seems to be very good at it.

I would like to talk about the man that came with "DANY OR KHALEESHI" from the start of her marriage. He was protector.

Sorry Radrgal my 1st post was better but this is a place to start.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:00 pm

racrgal wrote:You MIGHT be able to get that post by using the browser arrow to go "back" a couple of screens. Sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. :(
I tried as I really wanted it back. I should know better as it is "save, save, save". I will go & call Denise as I think she remember this better then I do. Denise remembered the names.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Word is a good idea. While I'm answering YOUR post here is the summary I found on the HBS website. http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/inde ... IAVj4XOA==

Now I really, really want to watch the shows. Right now the link isn't working for the entire season. :(

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 pm

OH GOOD HEAVENS, THE NAMES. THEY ARE OUTRAGEOUS! IS THE PRINCESS THE REALLY, REALLY BLOND ACTRESS WHOSE BROTHER IS "CROWNED" WITH LIQUID GOLD?

Yes she is do you know what happen to her brother? I can't remember the "liquid gold". In the TV show they nearly brother & sister look albino because they are so white in hair colour. Quite a sight! I rewatched the summary on the HBO website. The brother did get the pot of gold poured over his head by Drago in the summary I saw. YES those two actors are striking!

Brutal is an understatement for the "Dothkari". I have been waiting for you to tell me you reached this past in the books about the Dragons. This is how the TV series ended & it was something that took you breath away when watching. Yes 13yrs. but lets talk about the brother? The book described Drago’s funeral pyre as a much taller structure. Dany tucked the dragon eggs around Drago before the fire was lit. She promised her protector that she would NOT go into the fire as was customary for Dothkari wives. In the book the pyre collapsed upon her. When the fire went out, Dany was unharmed but naked and her hair was burned off. The three small dragons were with her. I think Drago knew the brother was abusive to Dany as well as being too pushy for Dothkari liking. I wasn't sorry to see the brother go.

NED WAS THE HAND TO THE KING WHO WAS BEHEADED BY THE YOUNG KING. HE HAD TWO DAUGHTERS, SANSA AND ARYA. SANSA IS PROMISED TO THE YOUNG KING JOFF AND VERY LADYLIKE. FOR ALL THE GOOD THAT DOES HER. IN THE BOOK, JOFF HAS HER BEATEN BY HIS MEN FOR ANY LITTLE OFFENSE. ARYA CUTS HER HAIR, ACTS LIKE A BOY AND GETS OUT OF THE CITY WITH A GROUP HEADED TO TAKE THE BLACK. NED MIGHT BE CALLED EDDARD IN THE SERIES. I WITH THESE DARNED PEOPLE DIDN'T HAVE SO MANY NICKNAMES! HARD ENOUGH TO KEEP UP THE THE ODD NAMES WITHOUT THROWING IN THE NICKNAMES.

Now I was under the impression that you thought Ned lost his head? There was a lot of lost heads but this is not the one I wish to discuss? Ned did loose his head after King Robert died even thought he bowed to Jeoffry for the sake of his daughters. Whose head are you talking about? There sure have been a LOT of them go rolling.

INTO BOOK TWO. FROM WHAT I COULD TELL ON THE HBS WEBSITE, THIS WILL BE SEASON TWO. Do you know yet about the Dragons? If so which book is that it? THE DRAGONS WERE BORN IN DROGO'S FUNERAL FIRE IN THE FIRST BOOK, GAME OF THRONES. THE BOOK ENDED SOON AFTER THAT.

The dragon eggs were a gift when married. I can't remember who gave this gift? There was someone who tried to steal them. Do you remember who that was & what happen to them? At the end of TV series one, it will breath away! I do not think that the dragons were born in Drogo's funeral but part of it yes but so much more going on. How do you think the eggs were hatched? I don’t remember who gifted the dragon’s eggs either. I really should slow down on reading this series. This strikes me as books that can be read again and again and always new details are noticed. I don’t remember WHO tried to steal the eggs but I am sure they lost a hand or a head as they weren’t successful In the theft. The eggs were hatched in the fire of Drago’s pyre. Dany’s “protector” wanted her to keep the eggs to sell.

The "IMP" I think he is only out for himself & he seems to be very good at it. I agree! “Imp” is a good description as well as name for that rascal.

I would like to talk about the man that came with "DANY OR KHALEESHI" from the start of her marriage. He was protector. Yes he was. He is still alive in the second book. It is ever so obvious that he loves Dany in a romantic way in addition to being her protector. Of course his honor will keep his feelings in check.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:01 am

Here we go again.

"The brother did get the pot of gold poured over his head by Drago in the summary I saw. YES those two actors are striking!"

Yes now I think about it that did happen. You do remember what happened after? YES very striking actors!

You keep asking this question. The book should have made this clear. The answer is yes. As you posted he sold her off at 13yrs. so he could get the army & be King. The liquid gold was not a good thing because something else happened. Again do you know what happened to him? Everytime I ask this question you want to say it is Ned. Her brothers name was not Ned.

I am going to post in smaller portions. I am taking the rest of this to Word. Please be patient.

Funny, I have taken to Word & your Cat is coming with me. Keep yelling at me or I will not be able to see the questions.