Game of Thrones the Book

racrgal

Re: Game of Thrones the Book

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 am

Ninner posted, Dany had her husband kill her brother & had him it do it in front of her. The person who stole the eggs was Dany's brother & it was the protector who found the brother & got them back. In the book Drogo lost his temper listening to Viserys whine about wanting his army and crown. Dany didn't ask for him to be killed but didn't protest when she saw what Drogo was going to do. Viserys was so vicious to her that I do believe she was glad to see him die. I wasn't sorry to see him go. I don't remember the eggs being stolen. Told you it might take more than one reading for me to "get" all of the details in this book. :lol:

There was a part early in the series where Dany was playing with the eggs. She found out that fire would not hurt her. Yes, she put the eggs in a brazier but I don't remember why. DUH on me.

Later Dany was given a new name after she passed a test in front of the nomads. Surprising I think it had to do with fire, lol. Then when her husband became ill & was no longer the head of the tribe. The nomads had no respect for Dany. So she went into the fire & the dragons hatched. In the book, Dany didn't get a "formal" name but they did start calling her Khaleeshi, which I took to mean Queen. I don't remember any tests but there was the raw heart eating ceremony. YUK I'd imagine that was quite gruesome on TV.

I would have to think that the series does not follow the book as closely as it was written? There seems to be a little "poetic license" but I think you'll be surprised at how much is so similar. Did you watch the link to the summary? Sometimes you can't recognize a book from a series.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:18 am

Ninner posted, Now that we have a name for the brother "Viserys". You have to love theses names. The thing is Viserys married off Dany at 13 yrs to a very brutal man. He did this because he was promised that he could be King. Dany did fall in love with her husband. There came a point where Dany would take no more abuse from her brother. That is when she had her husband kill him. Oh yes, Viserys was a horrid man. Seems like lots of those were running around in this story. Makes one rethink the whole Knight in Shining Armor thing. lol The promise of that kingdom and army was Viscerys' downfall in the book. DEMANDING anything from Drothkari wasn't a way to live an long life.

Look what I found! We can have names for everyone. :D http://www.hbogo.com/#series/browse&ass ... sf.browse/

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 am

Ninner wrote:
racrgal wrote:On page 755 of the first book, Ser Jorah Mormont (he is the protector) told Dany "My queen, Drogo will have no use for dragon's eggs in the night lands. Better to sell them in Asshai. Sell one and we can buy a ship to take us back to the Free Cities. Sell all three and you will be a wealthy woman all your days."

There were three loud cracks while Drogo was burning, which would have been the dragon eggs hatching. The book ended with Dany and the baby dragons in the smoldering ashes.

Now to find who gifted them and who finished off the brother.
See at this point Drogo was done or Dany had smothered him? Dany was no longer part of the tribe she was rejected. So the protector "Ser Jorah Mormont" lol, wanted to get her out of there.

It really was quite a sight to see at the end! Dany standing in the fire/ashes with the Dragons.
The conversation with the protector came when Dany wanted the eggs to place with Drogo on his funeral pyre. The tribe (nomads that they were) reject Dany by leaving her behind. They also did not take the weak, sick or elderly. They did take most of her slaves, raped and killed them.

I am sure the end was AMAZING! The last chapter was AMAZING! I could practically smell smoke and hear dragons hissing. Due to the fact that I'm reading all four books as a bundle, on the Nook, I didn't know it was the end of the book until I turned the page. :o

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:34 am

LOL, just to finish off to this point. Ninner owes Racrgal $5. The protector did ask her to sell the eggs BUT he did not steal the eggs. It was their way out of this mess. :lol: ahhhhhhh yes but how do they get out of the mess? Does Dany sell the dragons? Did Magister Illyrio know what the eggs REALLY were when he gifted them?

Dany was not going to have any part of retreating. Dany has plans of her own but that is for the next book.

Racrgal, you have now come up to the part that Denise & I know about. I am sure at this point you know where or what happened to Dany after the dragons hatched. I am not sure if I want you to say? You know she didn't die so that is where I'll leave her. :twisted:

What to you think of Catelyn Tully Stark (Lord Stark's widow) and her children? I'm wondering how long Bran is going to survive as a cripple.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Raragal we are now up to page 6. I wrote a post but did no do it in word. I will now wait till my middle name is "Patience". I shall return!

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:51 pm

This book/series is so complex, I can see a discussion lasting many, many pages and never getting dull.

"Patience" you say? Not sure that is realistic with computers. Sometimes I think they are possessed by demons! What browser do you use? I've a little trouble here but nothing compared to what you are having.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:07 pm

I was in Windows on the tower. The Sony seems to have had a "power surge" still working on that. If I am correct it is toast.

In my post that went to neverland. I said that I had chocolate & it is the expensive stuff. I am trying to think of a way to bribe you?

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:13 pm

I use Goggle Chrome. A few of my posts have been eaten but NOTHING compared to what you're going through! I do hope your Sony isn't fried.

:lol: I looooooooooooooove chocolate, especially the GOOD stuff! I'll drop by and we can eat chocolate and elephant. :lol:

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:32 am

I'm only halfway through this series and it has to be returned to the library tomorrow. Gave in yesterday and bought the download from B&N. 14 days just wasn't enough time for 3,400+ pages.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:53 am

I have decided to pass on "Game Of Thornes" as it is so much like the TV series & go straight to "A Clash of Kings". I need to order this from the library.

I know that you watched some of the TV series & wanted to comment on the look of Dany. She is quite something to behold.

Sony was not fried thank goodness & came back on line the next day. I do have Chrome on that one but like the location of the tower.

No, 14 days is not long enough for a 3,000 pg. book. I have been known to talk the library into an extension when the book is very large.