Just got the new Cook's Illustrated Cookbook

Bel-Canto

Just got the new Cook's Illustrated Cookbook

Post by Bel-Canto » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:05 pm

I review books for Amazon [lots of cookbooks] and I just opted for them to send me the new Cook's Illustrated Cook Book. This work is also affiliated with the PBS TV show America's Test Kitchen.

I received it a couple of days ago and it's huge. Honestly, at first glance it doesn't look all that promising in terms of being a great cookbook but I'll let you know when my review is finished.

pat

Misa

Re: Just got the new Cook's Illustrated Cookbook

Post by Misa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:15 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Shirl

Post by Shirl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Is this the New best recipes book? If so i have that one and i love the ideas and ways they cook. they have never let me down. i love their show too

Bel-Canto

Post by Bel-Canto » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Finished!

I ranked it here (4 stars out of 5) under my real name, Patrick W. Crabtree:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated ... r-mr-title

Overall, I think most folks will find it, in terms of a cookbook that can be perused, (which we all like to do), uninspiring. It's more of a utilitarian work. Amazon Vine sends me lots of cookbooks for free to review (plus quite a few authors send them to me direct) so I get to see all the extremes. This one falls somewhere near the middle and, honestly, I was anticipating something much better.

pat

Misa

Post by Misa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:48 pm

I appreciate the in-depth review you posted. I saw your recommendation for the Mr. Food cookbook in the other thread. Next time I'm up to the used book store, I'm looking for that one. I miss Mr. Food; I've not seen him since I was a kid, when the area tv station swapped it for another segment.

Shirl

Post by Shirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 am

do you read and cook the recipes to review a cookbook?

Shirl

Post by Shirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:31 pm

I think it will make an excellent booster chair for Thanksgiving, such a multi use book :)

Bel-Canto

Post by Bel-Canto » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi, Shirl.

On novels and non-fiction (not including how-to books such as cookbooks) I read them from cover-to-cover. I read 3-5 books per week so it keeps me very busy. If I were not retired, I couldn't do this.

On cookbooks and similar works, I usually do not read them from cover-to-cover, (an exception would be something like The Alice B. Toklas Cook Book which reads like a great novel since she included many life culinary experiences), especially if its straight recipes and includes no supplementary reading. I do look at and at least scan every page.

However, in all cases I make meticulous notes on what I read and observe because if you don't do that, your review gets generic and bland and lacks factual information that prospective buyers need to know. Cookbooks tend to follow a formula of which I am now well-acquainted.

As for the recipes, I always do at least this much: I try their recipes specifically for fried chicken, meatloaf, apple pie, and one other recipe which attracts my interest. If they can't get those first three perfect, then they surely have problems. Also, this way, It gives me a good measuring stick to gauge one cookbook against another.

Some reviewers get overwhelmed with arty cookbooks which have big beautiful color photos but when you try the recipes, they are poorly conveyed. So you have to try at least some of the recipes or you're doing the authors and publishers an injustice.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,

pat :D

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:28 am

I watch the show here on Saturday morning on PBS. I always enjoy seeing how they cook something with a different twist to mine.

I did purchase their yearly book (Best of ****?) a couple of years ago. Big book as already stated. As much as I like the idea of how to cook properly. I found that it lacked in the recipe department. I have not used the cookbook often.

I am also a member of "Cook's" site not sure why?