My Favorite Chef?

Ninner

Re: My Favorite Chef?

Post by Ninner » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Chocolatl wrote:
Misa wrote:My favorite? Alton Brown of Good Eats fame! Paula Deen is a close second.

Edit: I totally left this out before I mindlessly hit Submit. I have Jamie Oliver's app on my Ipad; I'm looking forward to trying out some of his recipes.
I didn't like Alton Brown at first, but I admit he's grown on me.
I like Robert Irvine and Paul Prudhomme (whom I've met--nice guy). I like Prudhomme's Louisiana Tastes cookbook because it describes what the food should be like at each step in the recipe.
Oh Chocolatl please bring me "Louisiana Tastes"! I sat in a down home restaurant in the mountains many years ago & had the best meal I have eaten!!!

Ninya

Post by Ninya » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 am

I have a 'thing' about Yotam Ottolenghi at the moment, such different ideas and so yummy!

Dreamer_in_Ontario

Post by Dreamer_in_Ontario » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:09 am

My favourites are Nava Atlas and Mollie Katzen. They were instrumental in helping me learn to make quick, easy and tasty vegetarian dishes that my picky dd was willing to eat. Although dd is not nearly to picky anymore I still turn to these chefs for vegetarian menu ideas.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:09 am

Ninya wrote:I have a 'thing' about Yotam Ottolenghi at the moment, such different ideas and so yummy!
Ninya, do you have a favorite or recommended recipe for this Chef?

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:13 am

Dreamer_in_Ontario wrote:My favourites are Nava Atlas and Mollie Katzen. They were instrumental in helping me learn to make quick, easy and tasty vegetarian dishes that my picky dd was willing to eat. Although dd is not nearly to picky anymore I still turn to these chefs for vegetarian menu ideas.
Dreamer, I would love to include more vegetarian meals here at home. Any ones that went over big with the meat members of the family?

Bel-Canto

Post by Bel-Canto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:35 am

Favorite chef? Well I've always admired Paul Prudhomme but I think that Jacques Pepin has become my big all-round favorite. His Fast Food My Way and More Fast Food My Way series are both superb -- I have the DVDs and watch them with great frequency. He makes the recipes so easy and these are truly terrific dishes. Just this week, Jacques has had major hip surgery (hip replacement.)

As for just watching chefs on TV, The Two Fat Ladies are a riot.

I'll have to say though that the guy who first inspired me to explore cooking and to stay with it was Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet. He got into big trouble and PBS dropped him like a hot potato but the man could cook. I still watch him frequently on You Tube He's been dead for years.) There are about a thousand episodes!

Favorite cookbook chef for my lifetime? No doubt -- James Beard.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:00 am

Bel, I know that I have a cookbook by Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet. I will have to pull it out & have another look at it.