What's Everyone Reading?

Deepster

Re: What's Everyone Reading?

Post by Deepster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:27 pm

[

Edit:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) As it turns out, the author's first name is one of the words the forum software blocks. His name is a common nickname for Richard, beginning with D. =))[/quote]

LOLOL!!!!!

Anyway, I didn't in any way say that I thought Moore should change his style, nor would I want him to. He is fine right where he is ;) Please re-read my post :D

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:15 am

Today I read Field of Prey by John Sandford. I had to wait FOREVER for it to be my turn for this one from the library! 24th book in the Prey series, this one finds Lucas's daughter Letty heading toward college, and him embroiled in a bunch of cases but with primary focus on one serial killer that even though we know he'll catch in the end (because that's how it works), there are enough twists and turns in the plot that it hurts a little getting there. He'd better write fast... I wanna know what happens next. :D

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:08 pm

I just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Not even a little a typical King novel, but really, really good! There is absolutely no supernatural anything involved, just a police/crime novel, but with his distinctive style. I loved his earlier work, but I would be perfectly fine if this is a new direction he wants to go.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Yesterday I read Sight Unseen by Iris Johansen and her son, Roy. As always, her novels are interesting enough to hold my attention while I read them, and then I forget almost everything as soon as I close the cover. When she adds her son as a co-author, the quality of the work decreases a great deal... I think it's neat that they write together, but they really should knock it off because it just doesn't really work. The story line of this one revisits a couple of characters I've met in a previous work, and I do like them. The plots are getting a little more formulaic than I'd like, though.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:11 am

Today's choice was The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly. I suppose I should probably have read these in order, but I've never been lost while reading one so I haven't really paid much attention. They're relatively easy reads, but interesting, and there's always a twist I wasn't expecting in amongst the ridiculous things that happen. He's always good for a novel to pass the time, and the Lincoln Lawyer books have characters I actually mostly like in them.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:02 pm

I have read so many books since I last posted here I can not even list them! I recently finish Gabaldons " Drums of Autumn"... not impressed! Her first book "Outlander" was fantastic, but as I read each book in the series they seem to go down hill. They are turning into dimestore novel style dribble!

I do not understand why an author would take something so successful and turn it into trash.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:29 pm

Shadows was it turned into a movie? I think once that happens they are forced to churn them out. Which is sad. Was it really successful? Maybe the publishers were pushing the author to keep a dead line, not a good idea.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:45 pm

Dissie wrote:Shadows was it turned into a movie? I think once that happens they are forced to churn them out. Which is sad. Was it really successful? Maybe the publishers were pushing the author to keep a dead line, not a good idea.
Dissie the 1st book was made into a series on Starz, but all 7 books of the series were published way before that, just do not understand why she did what she did!

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:50 pm

I have been reading a lot! It's magazines and other generic reading material.....last week I read my first book by Anne Rice, "The Vampire Lestat". I really enjoyed it, and will be looking more toward my own library for books I have long neglected. I have been reading Dickens and Poe....revisiting some, and reading some for the first time. As we sink into the depths of winter, I'll rely more on my personal library. Gosh, I may even try reading Joyce's "Ulysses" again. Even having been and English major, that is one book I have never been able to get beyond the first 60 pages....December thru February may be a good time to take this on ;)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:27 pm

End sf Secrets by Ryan Quinn is an interesting read, made me say Humm!

If you want intrigue, consprisy and cover ups, this is a book for you!
I give it five stars!