What's Everyone Reading?

Deepster

Re: What's Everyone Reading?

Post by Deepster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Dissie wrote:Since I found out my DD is expecting, I am reading more of those types of things. I bought 4 books at the thrift store when they had 25 cent day. I tried to read them all and so far stinkers. Pretty lame, about 2 chapters into all, and I really don't want to finish them! :?
Dis, I think we all make those "mistakes" from time to time. But, you've only got a buck invested ;) Pass the books on to another! As for me, I used to just plow on through books like that that I had picked up unwittingly. Thank goodness I no longer feel "guilt"(not saying that you do) about tossing such books aside and forgetting about them....my time is too precious :D Congrats to your DD and to you, "granny" :D :D :D

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Currently I am reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tarrt.

Book review from Amazon:
"The Goldfinch is a rarity that comes along perhaps half a dozen times per decade, a smartly written literary novel that connects with the heart as well as the mind....Donna Tartt has delivered an extraordinary work of fiction."--Stephen King, The New York Times Book Review

Theo Decker, a 13-year-old New Yorker, miraculously survives an accident that kills his mother. Abandoned by his father, Theo is taken in by the family of a wealthy friend. Bewildered by his strange new home on Park Avenue, disturbed by schoolmates who don't know how to talk to him, and tormented above all by his longing for his mother, he clings to the one thing that reminds him of her: a small, mysteriously captivating painting that ultimately draws Theo into the underworld of art.

As an adult, Theo moves silkily between the drawing rooms of the rich and the dusty labyrinth of an antiques store where he works. He is alienated and in love--and at the center of a narrowing, ever more dangerous circle.

The Goldfinch is a mesmerizing, stay-up-all-night and tell-all-your-friends triumph, an old-fashioned story of loss and obsession, survival and self-invention, and the ruthless machinations of fate.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Elsie, I don't read very much fiction/novels, but will occasionally veer off my main path. This book certainly does sound interesting. When I do break from tradition, I like something that at least reflects "real life". This sounds like a winner in that category. I'll look it up at the library on my next visit. Thanks for providing a good review. ;)

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:22 am

Deepster wrote:Felix, I was prepared to move forward with more of Christopher Moore's books. However, someone from another library in the system apparently had the same idea, and all his works got transferred to that branch. I won't give up though. I really like his "warped" style ;)
Definitely do not give up! I sometimes order his books to my library just so they'll be on the shelves there because I think more people should read him. :lol:

I finished Headhunters by Jo Nesbo this afternoon. From about the third page this one grabbed me and wouldn't let me stop reading to do silly things like sleep or eat. I also skipped taking a shower before I went to my sister's house so I could finish it. :mrgreen: Although I was thoroughly confused by the twist, I should not have been because I usually pay more attention than that. It's obvious that the reader should figure it out at the same time as the main character does, but I missed it. The bonus there is that the ending was a pleasant surprise, which I love. :)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:48 pm

"]
KareninMass wrote:...I also finished up one of my favorite novels of all times, The clowns of God by Morris West. Its set during the cold war, when the Pope has a vision of a cataclysmic nuclear war and writes an encyclical instructing the church to prepare for the last days. This of course does not go over well with the Curia and theytake what they believe is their only action. it is one of the most powerful novels I have ever read. I think it more a parable, but really a fascinating read.
Karen I finished this book a few days ago and had to think what I wanted to say about it. It started off being interesting and showing the politics involved in the vatican and the world ( funny how it parelles what recently happend in Rome ), then it went totaly weird. I was not impressed with the way it ended. It was a good and easy read, just not impressed. Thanks for the recomendation though.

KareninMass

Post by KareninMass » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Shadows1 wrote:"]
KareninMass wrote:...I also finished up one of my favorite novels of all times, The clowns of God by Morris West. Its set during the cold war, when the Pope has a vision of a cataclysmic nuclear war and writes an encyclical instructing the church to prepare for the last days. This of course does not go over well with the Curia and theytake what they believe is their only action. it is one of the most powerful novels I have ever read. I think it more a parable, but really a fascinating read.
Karen I finished this book a few days ago and had to think what I wanted to say about it. It started off being interesting and showing the politics involved in the vatican and the world ( funny how it parelles what recently happend in Rome ), then it went totaly weird. I was not impressed with the way it ended. It was a good and easy read, just not impressed. Thanks for the recomendation though.
Hi Shadows ! - yep - the weirdness is what I liked, There are several others in the trilogy that delve into Vatican politics and terrorism. This is one of West's most spiritual books - but at the time of the cold war and the beliefs of many fundamentalist churches ( and I was reared in one ) that the end of times was upon us - I can see where it was meaningful.

KareninMass

Post by KareninMass » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Just back from vacation and I had lots of reading time in the car or by the pool. I stuck to some old favorites.

I reread my favorite novels by James Michner. The Novel, Space ( which gets way too technical - but I really like it ), the fires of spring and now Hawaii. I know what happens, I can skim the boring parts and just reread the parts I like.

I also really like Sci Fi and I am rereading novels by Sherri Tepper and the old standards of Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov. Any one have any good recommendation ?

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:00 pm

The last few days:
Pineapple Grenade by Tim Dorsey. Number 15 in the Serge Storms series, with even more murder, mayhem, and the little guy coming out on top through utter ridiculousness. This time Serge gets "hired" as a spy by a banana republic, and in the process pits two different stations of the CIA against one another along with some political intrigue.

And I am now at a stand-still on the series. My library only has the next one as an e-book for no reason I can figure, so I have to see if a friend will pick me up a copy from the city library. I love the books and will eventually own them all, but I'm not in a position to buy books at the moment.

The Book of You by Claire Kendal. This one grabbed me and wouldn't let me put it down to do silly things like eat or sleep. A woman has a one-night stand she doesn't remember with a co-worker, and he stalks her to the point where horrible things happen. In the mean time there's a new romance for her, but things are just never right. It's frightening, all too easy to see how it could happen, and the story line ticks along so quickly that I found myself skimming instead of reading a few times not because it was boring but because I simply HAD to know what came next.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 am

I just now finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and all I can say is WOW! My brain feels like it went through a blender. When it first started out, I thought it was gonna be pretty trite, and at times it was, but when the story took off it really sucked me in until I simply had to know what happened. The last few chapters flew by at the same time they were totally screwing with me, the ending was not remotely at ALL what I would have expected, and the twists and turns it took to get there just about left me gasping for air. What an amazing read!

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Dark Places!!! It looks like I can order her books from other libraries across the state. All the reviews I read got me excited about reading all of Flynn's books.....can't wait!!!