What's Everyone Reading?

Felix4067

Re: What's Everyone Reading?

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. This was frustrating to read, but that's because it's supposed to be. It's told from the POV of Maud, who obviously is suffering from Alzheimer's. It jumps back and forth between present day and her childhood, where her best friend is missing today but her sister was missing then. As the story develops, it becomes clear how the two tie together while at the same time breaking your heart for Maud and her family. There are parts where I laughed, parts where I cried, and parts where I wanted to pitch the book across the room because it hurt my heart. If you've got (or had) someone who has dementia of any kind, this will be very hard to read. But you should anyway, because it gives some perspective I didn't have before.

End Game by John Gilstrap. This is apparently the 6th Jonathan Grave novel, but honestly I can't see where it matters much if you read them in order and I couldn't tell you if I've read all six or not. These are completely unbelievable, yet interesting, novels about a man who rescues people. He's former Special Forces, and now he runs this civilian service loosely associated with the FBI through a friend. The characters are interesting, the plots are simple, and you always know the good guys are going to win in the end. They're not bad books as long as you agree to suspend your sense of disbelief while you read them. I pick them up whenever I see one, but I don't go out of my way to order one.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Indefensible by Lee Goodman. This was simultaneously fascinating and hard to get into. The characters were both really detailed and vague. If that doesn't make sense, it's because it doesn't. Some aspects of the plot and characters is detailed to death, and then suddenly there's a leap and it takes you at least a couple of pages, sometimes a whole chapter (or more), to figure out what just changed. I think Goodman probably read a bit too much Scott Turow before setting out to write a novel, combined with some Grisham. It's a good book and definitely worth reading, just... odd.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm

I haven't posted in awhile, but that doesn't mean I haven't still been voraciously going thru books at my regular pace. The thing is I have read some terribly unremarkable books!!! I did read another Christopher Moore book, the name of which I can't even recall :shock: I think all his books are going to find me suffering severe anxiety by the time I'm 3/4 finish. I'm not sure it's a good anxiety either :shock: On the good side, I did just finish Salman Rushdie's "Joseph Anton, A Memoir". I have never even read "The Satanic Verses", but I must read that now, as the book I just read is autobiographical regarding the many years he spent living with "protective services" people being with him 24/7, and restricting his every move for all those years. It is a really good book, that I would recommend to anyone interested in those type things.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 pm

How do you mean, Chris Moore books will leave you suffering anxiety?

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Felix4067 wrote:How do you mean, Chris Moore books will leave you suffering anxiety?
Felix, it's just that with the two books I have read, about 3/4 of the way through, I want him to just "wrap it up". I get the feeling that enough has been said, it's time to call it a take, and just conclude the thing :shock: :shock: Don't get me wrong!! I think that's just his writing style, and my particular take on it. I love books that make me want things pulled out to the point that perhaps a book will never end. With him, and me, I just had the feeling of "ok, let's just give this a quick final spin" and end it. Both the books I've read have been great until it's like I hit some kind of wall. It's kinda like standing by the clothes washer, wanting desperately for the final cycle because I have other things I'd like to be doing. ;) ;)

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Huh. I've never gotten that from one of his books. But, that's why there are so many authors, because there are so many different types of readers. :)

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Felix4067 wrote:Huh. I've never gotten that from one of his books. But, that's why there are so many authors, because there are so many different types of readers. :)
I meant to add this last night, too. I think one of the things that makes me feel that way is that I SSSOOOOO love good horror!!! I want him to be that way, because he definitely has the talent for it. I want to be "terrified out of my wits".
Moore can do that, but then I feel somewhat let down :shock: He certainly is a gifted writer....no doubt!!

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Deepster wrote:
Felix4067 wrote:Huh. I've never gotten that from one of his books. But, that's why there are so many authors, because there are so many different types of readers. :)
I meant to add this last night, too. I think one of the things that makes me feel that way is that I SSSOOOOO love good horror!!! I want him to be that way, because he definitely has the talent for it. I want to be "terrified out of my wits".
Moore can do that, but then I feel somewhat let down :shock: He certainly is a gifted writer....no doubt!!
He isn't at all a horror writer, though. He writes satirical comedy with an underlying socially conscious theme. Even his "vampire" series aren't meant to be horror novels, they just happen to have vampires in them. If you want horror novels, try Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or John Saul.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Felix4067 wrote:
Deepster wrote:
He isn't at all a horror writer, though. He writes satirical comedy with an underlying socially conscious theme. Even his "vampire" series aren't meant to be horror novels, they just happen to have vampires in them. If you want horror novels, try Stephen King, Dean Koontz, or John Saul.
I totally understand that. I have read all the authors you mention. I still think Moore is an excellent writer. It is my error that I went into Moore's writings thinking one thing and concluding on another. Likely I'll still read other of Moore's books. I just had to step back and adjust my expectations. ;) I really appreciate that you turned me on to Moore, and I still think he could be an "out of my wits" horror writer, but I do respect his style and gift.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Deepster wrote:I totally understand that. I have read all the authors you mention. I still think Moore is an excellent writer. It is my error that I went into Moore's writings thinking one thing and concluding on another. Likely I'll still read other of Moore's books. I just had to step back and adjust my expectations. ;) I really appreciate that you turned me on to Moore, and I still think he could be an "out of my wits" horror writer, but I do respect his style and gift.
I guess I just don't get it. Why would you want someone to write in a completely different genre than what they do? Expecting Chris Moore to be a horror writer is like expecting Larry McMurtry to write Sci-Fi. Might he be good at it? Possibly. But that's not what he writes.

Anyway, yesterday I finished The Intercept by **** Wolf (yes, the same guy who created Law & Order). This was a good book if you were a fan of the original Law & Order. Courtroom stuff, police investigations, conclusions, plot twists given away chapters before they are "revealed", characters that are interesting enough to hold your interest, and decent construction. What bugs me is that this one is billed as "the first Jeremy Fisk novel", but there are all sorts of things mentioned that give the impression there was at least one book (and probably more than one) that should have come before it. Things from the past that shape how characters act now are regularly mentioned, but there is no previous book. Which tells me not only does he intend to write this as a series but that he intends to go back and include some prequels at some point. I hate that.

Edit:
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) As it turns out, the author's first name is one of the words the forum software blocks. His name is a common nickname for Richard, beginning with D. =))