What's Everyone Reading?

Ninner

What's Everyone Reading?

Post by Ninner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 am

Just finished reading:

"Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly"

The author writes for young adults & is best known for her book "A Northern Light" which won Britain's Carnegie Medal. I chose this book as it is a mix of historical (two centuries ago) & the music description of famous composers. I enjoyed the location which was Paris & the interaction of the two main characters. I also learned a lot about the guitar and its use in famous symphonies.

"The Book Of Joe by Jonathan Trooper"

This book was recommended by our member Felix.

Not a large book at 338 pages but very much enjoyed! It is about Joe, like you wouldn't have guess, lol. His life & the changes he made. The 1st page is a little racy so for those with a weak heart be prepared. After the 1st page it is no longer racy. I highly recommend that you read this one.

Ninya

Re: What's Everyone Reading?

Post by Ninya » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:16 pm

I am reading The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo, I am really into the Scandinavian writers at the moment and Camilla Lackberg is another favourite. Quite violent and complex.

CoffeeB

Post by CoffeeB » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, I am in a real funk right now w/my reading. The last two books I've attempted to read have been meah at best. Right now I"m slugging through The Mistress of nothing by Kate Pullinger.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 am

Moring CoffeB. I am sorry for the delay. I am not receiving e-mail notifications. I have again clicked "Notify Me" & I will see if it works this time?

A "funk" I can appreciate this. Have not found anything that has rocked my world in a while. I will work on this & see what I can come up with,

CoffeeB

Post by CoffeeB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:02 am

Soon I will be going back to the stephen tyler book. I put it down for awhile, but sil try to pick up where I left off.
Going to the library today to see what's available.

Ninya

Post by Ninya » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Are the Scandinavian writers popular in the US?

CoffeeB

Post by CoffeeB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:25 pm

I don't know of any per se Ninya. Can you give me names?

Ninya

Post by Ninya » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Steig Larrson and the Millenium Trilogy, Jo Nesbo, Camilla Lackberg,Henning Mankell. They are all hugely popular over here in Britain and I see Hollywood is making a film of the Steig Larrson trio, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc.

CoffeeB

Post by CoffeeB » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:26 pm

i have heard of those Girl books. But, the other authors aren't ringing a bell with me. I'm sure Ninner has heard of them though

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 am

Ninya, last year I spent most of my reading time on books written in Spanish & translated to English. Many were about South America.

Now I did read one Scandinavian writer in the last six months.I know I have it written down & will look for it.

It was about a Scandinavian warrior who in his down time was a woodworker. His first wife died & he had a son. The remarried & took on an apprentice. Yes as you posted it was violent in some areas. It was a very good story. Does that ring any bells?

CoffeeB, how are you doing in your reading funk? I will post "Ninner's Picks" as soon as the site speed picks up as it is a little slow this morning.

At the moment I am reading :

"Black Ship" by Jo Graham" This was recommended by Felix. It is about a young female slave that was taken from fallen Troy. The story is about the Arthurian Legend of The Black Ships. I like the authors way of writing as it is a little different from most.

One of the two books are next in line from my stash:

"Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell" I have read that this is the authors first book & it has received a very high rating. It is a depiction of the Depression-era of prairie life.

"The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson" non-fiction about London's most terrifying epidemic "Cholera". Now I always thought that the biggest epidemic was "the black death"? This book has received rave review.