What's Everyone Reading?

Gerry

Re: What's Everyone Reading?

Post by Gerry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 pm

Been way too much happening and simply not enough time to read or post one whole lot. Having a great collection of books on my Cloud Reader I hope things slow down as well as the eyes improve to once again enjoy some reading time.

Sorting through my library I found my copy of 'Wilderness Mother' by Deanna Kawatski, it is now on my nightstand. Looking forward to the read. “They met at a fire tower in a remote corner of Northwestern British Columbia where the author was a lookout attendant. He was the local hermit, a homesteader in the Nengunsaw Valley. A year later, they married and for the next 13 years they lived as 19th-century pioneers had. Their cabin, without running water or electricity, was more than 100 miles from a paved road; it was a three-mile walk across boggy ground from any road. Kawatski has written about wilderness life for Mother Earth News and other journals. Here she focuses on bearing two children and raising them in isolated conditions. The family was remarkably self-sufficient, building their home, growing their food, making their clothing. Moose, bears and wolves were frequent visitors. But isolation brought problems that broke up the marriage. Kawatski, who loved the wilderness life and left regretfully with the children for civilization, tells her absorbing tale in eloquent prose. 

Doing a search I found this interesting, may have to read it before I start 'Wilderness Mother' Have to love Google!
http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-a ... z3KJyYFDZv

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Deepster wrote:This past Sunday, I finished reading "The Queen Mother" by Lady Colin Campbell. This book is an absolute "must read" for anyone interested in British royalty. Her family called her the "Monster of Glamish", the "Queen Bitch"....and worse, and Adolf Hitler called her "the most dangerous woman in the world".....you decide. She was most certainly a "bitch", and a "bitch ruler"....you decide ;)
Being somewhat of a history buff this had me placing an order for 'The Queen Mother' Since no one has sued Lady Colin Campbell, one has to assume that the Queen Mother was not the sweet saintly wonderful kind Queen Mum we thought she was!

Shirl

Post by Shirl » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:45 pm

I haven't posted or been here for awhile. But wanted to pass on some books that I have read that I liked. Jodi Piccoult's The Pact was good and as usual her books make me cry. I have started World War Z, and am finishing the 5th book in The Game of Thrones. All worth the read. Looking forward to reading Lee Childs new book about egypt hoping it is a series. Happy reading all

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi Shirl, great to see you! Haven't been here all that much either as once again having eye issues seriously cutting back my reading time. Waiting to hear back from my ophthalmologist and hopefully get back on track.

Have a Jodi Picoult book gifted by a friend 'Lone Wolf' and in my Christmas stocking dd tucked in a copy of 'Chicken Soup for the Soul. The Cat Did What?' The pages are creamy and the print quite small which may make for a problem. If I don't get an appointment soon I suspect I will have to go to online and order them on my Cloud Reader so I can read them on the comp. Not as cozy as curling up and reading in a comfy chair but it is better than not being able to enjoy a read!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Just finished "Mr Mercades" at 4 AM ( could not sleep ) by Steven King! I still do not see the interest in his books, I mean it was just OK but nothing to crow about!
This was the third or fourth book of his I have read and the best is still "Geralds Game" .

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Although a number of my family and friends have most or all of the Steven King books, I have only read a few. My favorites were 'The Stand' and 'The Shining' I was quite put off by several and could not read 'It' ... I do have '11/22/63' 'Doctor Sleep' and the updated version of 'The Stand' on my Cloud reader waiting to be read. Hopefully this winter!

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Besides finishing http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=9176

I have also read "The One That Got Away" - Simon Wood

City Of Beads - Tony Dunbar

both good reads,

and a few others that were not as memorable.

not sure why another member is trying to reinvent this topic??! :?

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Shadows1 wrote:

not sure why another member is trying to reinvent this topic??! :?
Because I didn't see this topic.
Not sure why it is even worth bringing up. It's no big deal.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi Sue, good to see you here looking forward to you being back to share your reads!

An eye surgery that is seeing to the healing of the cornea sees me to an appointment on Monday which hopefully will allow for new prescription glasses and reading glasses ... so hoping! Along with a dreadful flu bug that took all of February to shake sees to March and cooking once again happening and soon I hope ... reading!

Being somewhat of a history buff I went over and ordered E.M Powell's 'Blood of Fifth Night' on my reader and computer.Thank you for the heads up. As well ordered the the 'Walton' series, love the awesome love of the Hamner family - “Spencers Mountain' and 'Goodnight John Boy'

Also ordered a digital copy of an old favourite of mine Harper Lee's 'To Kill A Mocking Bird, an absolute favourite of grandsons - my original copy is his – as well surprising him with a new hardcover copy and have an order placed for 'Go Set a Watchman' being released in July. "a newly discovered novel, the earliest known work from Harper Lee, the beloved, bestselling author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning classic,To Kill a Mockingbird." Going to make for one happy gs.

Shirl

Post by Shirl » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Felix4067 wrote:I just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Not even a little a typical King novel, but really, really good! There is absolutely no supernatural anything involved, just a police/crime novel, but with his distinctive style. I loved his earlier work, but I would be perfectly fine if this is a new direction he wants to go.
Try Joyland it's a dectective novel also.