Yay for used cookbooks!

HeatherFeather

Yay for used cookbooks!

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:54 am

The local libraries here have a little room set aside to sell used books and magazines. The prices are great (nothing is over $4) and I usually stop in to check what is available a couple of times a month.

Yesterday I found an old copy of Emeril's TV Dinners for $3 - it looks like a nice book. I have never had any of his cookbooks before, but have enjoyed the recipes I have tried of his that I got from tv.

The real gem yesterday was a $1 community cookbook from nearby Sarasota, FL. I have had that exact same book in my Etsy wishlist online ever since I first saw it for sale. It is in great condition and has a lot of recipes in it for ingredients common in the area, which made it very appealing in the first place. It is a very old copy - 1983 edition - so nothing was influenced by the internet or Food tv.

Ninner

Re: Yay for used cookbooks!

Post by Ninner » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:46 am

Love used cookbook sales. Many here are at the Churches. I always feel sad to see what has been placed in the sale. It looks like a home was cleaned out. Some I have were signed by the writer. They were just a few dollars.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:19 am

I see that a lot at the local Goodwill too - it makes me sad too.

There were several similar type cookbooks yesterday too - I was thinking they might have all been donated by the same person.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:03 am

I have a very large selection of cookbooks. When my MIL passed, I was asked what I would like. No hesitation, I wanted her cookbooks. I hope the large selection I have does not end up at the Church used book sale?

Many times when I purchase used cookbooks. They will have handwriting in them. This makes them even more special.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:20 am

HF, what was the name of the Sarasota Book. I have a couple from the area, I always love seeing local books.

When I travel, I always try to pick up a local book from the area. When I did a lot of skiing out west, I tried to find one. I have a couple of great ones from Aspen CO, Alta and Brianhead UT, and Taos NM. I love the local recipes.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:14 pm

This is the exact same book I got, only I paid $1 for mine:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/93946301/fa ... ta-florida

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 pm

I love to grab community cookbooks for each place I live. Since I moved so much, I have a lot of great little local treasures. Sometimes I buy more than just one depending on the location. I also like to get books put out by local restaurants or caterers, if I happen to be visiting an area that has one I like.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:31 am

HeatherFeather wrote:This is the exact same book I got, only I paid $1 for mine:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/93946301/fa ... ta-florida
I have seen that one. You got a a great deal. I have never looked at it, but I know a friend who I am sure has it. We went through her books one day, and that looks familiar.

You did very well.

Andypants

Post by Andypants » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Ninner wrote:I have a very large selection of cookbooks. When my MIL passed, I was asked what I would like. No hesitation, I wanted her cookbooks.
I already had a pretty good-sized collection but when my brother (he was Duck Koo Kim on Zaar) passed away I got 3-4 xerox boxes full from him. So far I've only noticed two duplicates, one of Charmaine Solomon's and the Rittenhouse Restaurant cookbook.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am

That is the section I always run to when I am in a thrift store! The Books! You can find great cookbooks in the used book section!

My daughter and her bf just decided since they work 3-11 pm, they would purchase a crockpot to have dinner ready when they get home. So, they came over the other day and were amazed at how many crockpot cookbooks I have! :lol: I was sort of amazed too! I didn't realize how many I really had after they were going through like 25 of them! =))