Favorite Cookbook?

Dissie

Re: Favorite Cookbook?

Post by Dissie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:03 am

OMG Ninner, I love garage sales for the same reason! I can't even imagine selling my cookbooks! What is wrong with these people? :lol: Wait, it might be us!! :shock:

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:15 am

Wish you lived close we could go to the garage sales together. When Dd was younger she would go with me. No one wants to get up that early??

The used cookbooks I find at the Church always makes me sad. It looks like someone just cleaned out a house. When Mil passed Dh asked me what I would like. She had many expensive things. I picked her cookbooks first then her pots/pans.

I have told Dh & Dd that my cookbooks better not end up in the used book sale or I will come back!

Bel-Canto

Post by Bel-Canto » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, I've always been a great enthusiast of James Beard, Jacques Pepin, and Julia Child (Paul Prudhomme too), but when it comes to cookbooks, and I've cooked from and reviewed mountains of them, I always fall back on this one when I can't think of something really good for supper:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Food-Cooks-Lik ... 795&sr=8-1

There's not a single marginal recipe in here and they're all incredibly simple and usually fast too. I see that they have used ones for a penny plus shipping (usually 3 bucks) so the price should hold no one back on getting one.

My favorite recipes in there include BBQed Beef Tips (and noodles), TLBS (Tastes Like Banana Split) and Chicken Cacciatore.

Mr. Food is pretty cool.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:54 am

Bel, my girlfriend has a party every Christmas where "Chicken Cacciatore" is always the dish served. I have never made it as good as her dish. Which book is the "Chicken Cacciatore" in?

"Beef Tips" are not available here in any grocery/butchers. I have no idea why but wish they were.

Bel-Canto

Post by Bel-Canto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:16 am

Sorry for the belated reply! That recipe is one in the Mr. Food Cooks Like Mama cookbook (link above). I make it all the time -- a huge hit with everybody and really easy too if you employ mise en place. Here's the recipe (there are several variations on the net but this one most closely emulates the book one):

http://italian.food.com/recipe/the-ospi ... ore-188292

pat

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:17 am

Morning Bel. Thank you for the link & understood everything in its place. Mr Food would be on the News many years ago & I always enjoyed his few minutes.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Ninner wrote:Wish you lived close we could go to the garage sales together. When Dd was younger she would go with me. No one wants to get up that early??

The used cookbooks I find at the Church always makes me sad. It looks like someone just cleaned out a house. When Mil passed Dh asked me what I would like. She had many expensive things. I picked her cookbooks first then her pots/pans.

I have told Dh & Dd that my cookbooks better not end up in the used book sale or I will come back!
Sorry it has taken this long to get back to you....Geeze, didn't see it until just now! I know I wish we lived close enough to garage sale! It is one of my passions. I also love to go to the flea markets. There is one pretty close to me and they just opened a book section. I sat there the other day just perusing cookbooks. I bet they weren't so happy they installed chairs in there because I was there quite a while trying to decide which ones to buy! :lol:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 pm

I have a couple of community cookbooks I have collected that I love. My favorite cookbook changes now and then - I guess I have several favorites at any one time.

The first that came to mind, outside of community cookbooks, is Nigella Bites by Nigella Lawson. One of her first cookbooks and still one of her best - I have cooked so many recipes from that one book.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:25 am

Dissie wrote:
Ninner wrote:Wish you lived close we could go to the garage sales together. When Dd was younger she would go with me. No one wants to get up that early??

Sorry it has taken this long to get back to you....Geeze, didn't see it until just now! I know I wish we lived close enough to garage sale! It is one of my passions. I also love to go to the flea markets. There is one pretty close to me and they just opened a book section. I sat there the other day just perusing cookbooks. I bet they weren't so happy they installed chairs in there because I was there quite a while trying to decide which ones to buy! :lol:
Never to late to the party Dissie. It is always lovely to hear from you. Would make my day to spend some time with you at the used book store.

Some of you will have heard this before. On the day I die "teleportation" will be invented. I will have just missed it by a "thread". Just a little pun but I think it is funny.

Heather I love those community books as I want to know what others are making. The only trouble I have is the can soup. There is too much salt for me & it makes me sick.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am

Better Homes and Gardens. I have 3 of them and I can't part with any of them, even though my first one is falling part and has been taped together at least 2 times I can't let it go. I have retired it to the bedroom bookcase so it won't get wrecked anymore.

I bought my first on in 93, then I got the 2000 and Cook For The Cure. I also have the Biggest Book of Soups & Stews, and BBQ.

My On Cooking Canada, that I got when I was in Cooking School, it has now become more precious to me because one of my instructors helped write it, and last year I heard he had passed away.

I have a couple KitchenAid books, 1 WeightWatchers.