Favorite Cookbook?

Ninya

Re: Favorite Cookbook?

Post by Ninya » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 pm

My very first cookbook way my Mother's illustrated Good Housekeeping Cookery Book, sad soul that I was I would look at the pictures at a very early age - then totally forgot all about cooking when I discovered Boys! I then discovered that one lead to another :lol:

At present I yearn for a cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi, I just love to read them, drool and move on :lol:

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 am

Ninya wrote:My very first cookbook way my Mother's illustrated Good Housekeeping Cookery Book, sad soul that I was I would look at the pictures at a very early age - then totally forgot all about cooking when I discovered Boys! I then discovered that one lead to another :lol:

At present I yearn for a cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi, I just love to read them, drool and move on :lol:
My Mother loved to look through cookbooks. I always purchased one for her as a gift at Christmas. My father from Scotland was not much of a food adventurer so trying new recipes never went over well with him.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:10 am

Dissie I purchased "The Canadian Living" cookbook as I enjoyed it so much.

I purchased the following cookbooks yesterday from Amazon. The price had dropped on all over the year plus free shipping. So Merry Christmas Ninner, lol.

Truly Mexican: Essential Recipes

Best Recipes Ever from Canadian Living

Jamie's Dinners

Jamie At Home

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:48 am

I love those little 1 or 2 dollar cookbooks at the check out aisle or at a restaurant after dinner. I have found several recipes in those books. Usually 1 or 2 per book, but it is worth it.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:25 am

Church, this is something you never see up here in the North. I may find a couple of recipes on restaurant sites. I will have to look for these next time I am in the USA.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:57 am

The ones in restaurants are usually local books which I love, and the ones in the grocery store can be a variety of ones.

Also, I love sending in for ones like Bertolli (olive oil), kraft, success rice, Good Seasons, Vigo (olive oil), campbells, Duncan Heins. You can usually go to their web sites or just sometimes on the box. You send 1 or 2 dollars and a pre stamped envelope and they send it to you. I have about 70 of those little books and I love them.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am

I do receive some of the "Brand" names in the mail but have never seen any in a restaurant. There have been cookbooks that you can purchase but run $35-$50.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:06 am

Ninner wrote:I do receive some of the "Brand" names in the mail but have never seen any in a restaurant. There have been cookbooks that you can purchase but run $35-$50.
The smaller restaurants, but I think because of us being a tourist town a lot of the smaller restaurants have some of the smaller local paperback books available, and some just little paper ones stapled. I think they try to promote the local restaurants.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:44 am

Church, many times when I travel the only recipe books I can find are in Spanish. I can only read English. I will ask when I am in the tourist areas in the USA next time.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:14 pm

When I was in the Mt Dora area, FL. A bit north of Tampa and inland a bit, we stopped at a local restaurant and they had 2 small books for sale. One from local peoples and another was a church book. They were not bound, just stapled. 4.50 for one 3.50 for the other. I got both. Some classic recipes, but pretty interesting.