Favorite Cookbook?

Crocus

Re: Favorite Cookbook?

Post by Crocus » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:22 am

I used to collect cookbooks. Due to space limitations most have been stored away or disposed of. There are only 2 that I keep close to the kitchen for reference (and DH uses them more than I do). They are Fannie Farmer and the Joy of Cooking. Both have good basic recipes and instructions. The only one I keep IN the kitchen, right on the counter, is the one that I made myself with my own favorites, it includes my own creations and some of my mother's, aunt's, sister's recipes - I "re-publish" it once in awhile to include new recipes I have found on the internet or begged from good cooks. They have to be really good to get in "the cookbook".

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:49 am

Crazy, I was given Better Homes and Gardens as a gift when I first got married. Very handy to have as it covers all areas. I inherited my MIL's copy which has been well used & taped a lot. I like to hang on to it because she wrote in it.

Marion_in_Savannah

Post by Marion_in_Savannah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Crocus wrote:I used to collect cookbooks. Due to space limitations most have been stored away or disposed of. There are only 2 that I keep close to the kitchen for reference (and DH uses them more than I do). They are Fannie Farmer and the Joy of Cooking. Both have good basic recipes and instructions. The only one I keep IN the kitchen, right on the counter, is the one that I made myself with my own favorites, it includes my own creations and some of my mother's, aunt's, sister's recipes - I "re-publish" it once in awhile to include new recipes I have found on the internet or begged from good cooks. They have to be really good to get in "the cookbook".
Crocus, I just LOVE your idea of "republishing" your personal, family cookbook! You've inspired me to go and do likewise with a family recipe collection that comes with recipes from my mother and grandmother. I never thought of "republishing" a new version. THANKS!!! :D

Crocus

Post by Crocus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:53 pm

I did mine in Microsoft Word. It has an index and table of contents - took a bit of self-education to learn how to do it all but it worked out great. When I add to it I can update the T of C and index with a simple click. I have printed out copies to stick in with wedding gifts for close friends and relatives. I make covers with good quality photo paper and bind them with a comb binder.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 am

I did cookbooks as Christmas gifts a couple of years ago. I sent them overseas. I also did it all in Word. Dd had done a number of school projects using "Staples" so I had them put the finishing touches on. Not expensive & did make a nice finished project.

Family & friends have asked me to do another one. Just have not got around to it yet.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:56 am

I placed a Hold at the library & received these two yesterday. Books are very expensive here with an additional 13% tax applies. So I look at them through the library prior to purchasing from Amazon.ca which is the cheapest way to go when the have no charge shipping.

"Entice with Spice by Shubhura Ramineni". This book was along time coming as it was very popular. Easy Indian recipes for busy people. Dh's favorite & easy is mine.

"Best Recipes Ever by Canadian Living". Fresh, fun & tasty tested-till-perfect recipes from the hit show.

I will up-date you once I have gone through them.

Or has anyone already read them?

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I havent read those. Let me know if they are good. I will try to reserve at the library.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Dissie wrote:I havent read those. Let me know if they are good. I will try to reserve at the library.
Dissie, I have gone through "Best Recipes Ever by Canadian Living". Very nice cookbook with a lot of 20min, 5 ingredients. I think I will purchase this as there are so many recipes I would like to try.

Usually I just photocopy what I want but in this case I want a lot of them.

Lots of recipes for leftovers or what you have on hand.Very simple dishes for turkey breasts, gr. beef, pork chops etc.

See if you can get it from the Library & make up your own mind?

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:56 pm

I am going tomorrow, I will see if its in, if not I will see if I can reserve it. Thanks!

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Dissie you are most welcome & that sounds like a plan. Many years ago each Christmas I would gift my Mother & Mil a subscription to "Canadian Living" always well received.