Read any new/interesting cookbooks lately?

Misa

Read any new/interesting cookbooks lately?

Post by Misa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Anyone pick up a new or new to you cookbook you find interesting?

A couple of recent additions for me are the Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook and the new Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook. I haven't had the opportunity to cook any of the recipes yet, but I'm definitely eyeballing some to give a test drive.

The Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook is pretty much what it sounds like - a cookbook of a well-known cafe in Asheville, NC. Their cooking puts emphasis on fresh, local foods (a philosophy shared around Asheville's community), and the recipes are thoroughly southern inspired. The cookbook I purchased was in the Kindle format; if you have a Kindle Fire or iPad (or other compatible color reading device), it'll be fine - I strongly advise against purchasing the book in an e-format on a regular Kindle. The book's lovely colors make many parts very nearly unreadable on original Kindle devices. As for the recipes, just like the restaurant, emphasis is on fresh foods. There are chapters devoted to sauces and condiments, which will be featured in recipes later in the book.

Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook - well, as a big fan of Lodge's products, this was a must have. It's a sturdy softcover packed with a good mix of recipes - classic, southern, outdoors cooking methods, and modern - with "memories" sprinkled throughout. Photography accents the recipes well, and a good number of winning recipes from past years of the National Cornbread Festival, held in South Pittsburgh, TN, are here as well. A good spread of Lodge's current product line have been utilized throughout, from the small skillets (5 inch), specialty (abelskiver and biscuit pans), dutch oven and grill pans, to the regular 10 and 12 inch workhorses.

racrgal

Re: Read any new/interesting cookbooks lately?

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 am

I just picked up the American Heart Association's Healthy Family Meals but will be returning it. The main ingredients in the entire book are red bell peppers, green bell peppers, yellow bell peppers and cucumbers. Sweetie cannot eat any one of those so back to B&N with that cookbook. I was sorely disappointed and hope to find a AHA cookbook that makes more sense for us.

Misa

Post by Misa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm

I have the AHA Low-Fat, Low Cholesterol Cookbook; is there a certain type of recipe or cooking style you are looking for in particular? I'll be glad to flip through it to see if it's anything you might be interested in. Or might want to check the your local library - I know mine actually has the same book, too.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for the idea Misa. I'll peruse the library before I exchange the cookbook I purchased.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I ordered "Marcela Valladolid" from the library. "Fresh Mexico & Mexican Made Easy". Waiting for the weather to warm up as many menus include the grill.

invictus

Post by invictus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 am

It's been so long since I've looked for books at our local library. I love doing this but I've been so busy since the holidays last year that I haven't done it. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to go this weekend and see what I can find. I'll let you know if I come across anything noteworthy.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:31 pm

I just borrowed from the library, Alton Brown's Image

It has such interesting reading in it. Of course, lots of recipes, but I love the tidbit of information about everything in it! Very good book. Now I want to see #1 and #3! :lol:

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:20 am

Ordered from the Library.

"Skinny Ms. Slow-Cooker". Uses all natural ingredients nothing processed. I read a review in the newspaper.

"Pioneer Woman" as many of you have mentioned how much you like the recipes.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:49 am

I own "many" Jamie Oliver cookbooks as he is my favorite Chef. I enjoy the ingredients that are easy to obtain. Plus the great flavour with such few ingredients & the recipes are healthy.

Today I received a link for Jamie's recipes I have not seen before & thought I would pass it along.

http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com/ ... gories.php

From Computer Tips.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Mon May 07, 2012 11:41 am

Had a hold on "Tyler Florence Family Meals" which I picked up on Saturday. Many very nice recipes to be made in this book.