What Are You Reading 2022

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2022

Post by Gerry » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:07 pm

January here in Saskatchewan was a bitterly cold and windy month perfect for leisurely read and slow down time. "Life on The Rez" and "The Farm in the Green Mountains" have one lot of 5 star reviews but found both not what I expected. For me they both had too much in the way of added detail and neither seemed to have flow. To be fair the five star reviews saw many others enjoy both books.

"The Four Winds" a novel by Kristen Hannah an awesome read and a page turner! "The Four Winds is a rich, sweeping novel that stunningly brings to life the Great Depression and the people who lived through it―the harsh realities that divided us as a nation and the enduring battle between the haves and the have-nots. A testament to hope, resilience, and the strength of the human spirit to survive adversity, The Four Winds is an indelible portrait of America and the American dream." I would give this one ten stars if I could!

At the moment I am reading "Anne Frank The Biography: Updated and Expanded With New Material " by Melissa Muller.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:56 am

Gleaning the headline news this morning I happened upon a news release regarding Anne Frank which I thought interesting as I am now reading Melissa Muller's "Anne Frank: the Biography"

"A Dutch publisher has suspended printing of a book that suggested a Jewish notary betrayed Anne Frank, saying there were questions about the research behind it, according to an internal email seen by Reuters. "The Betrayal of Anne Frank," was released on January 18" The book detailed the conclusions of a six-year cold case investigation into the mystery of how the Nazis found the hiding place of the famous diarist in 1944.

Seeing this cold case had investigates working for six years do I check out the library or bite the bullet and get a Kindle copy. Will think on it.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Having pre ordered "Anne Frank: The Biography Updated and Expanded with New Material" by Melissa Muller I was somewhat disappointed o find I had been sent "Anne Frank: The Biography" Found it is well researched and written but not much about Anne until about page 167. Checking reviews I had to agree with one of the reviewers "Had lots of biographical information on Anne's family and historical information on the Holocaust in general, which was interesting, but didn't focus on Anne as much as I expected and didn't delve much into her time in the annex"

I was about to start "Penny" by Hal Borland when much to my surprise two of my holds came through. "When Crickets Cry" and "From My Mother's Back" a Canada Reads recommend. I have been looking forward to both. We are in a extreme cold warning with two more storms predicted, a good book a cozy blanket and a cup of chai tea sounds like the perfect afternoon! I will start the weekend with "When Crickets Cry"

What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:51 am

Just finished my second book by Charles Martin called "Send Down The Rain". He wrote "When Crickets Cry". It was equally as good and I will be purchasing more of his books.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:54 pm

Lovinretirement, having found "When Crickets Cry" by Charles Martin a great read I have added "Send Down The Rain " to my holds.

I couldn't put down down Tani Hanes "Obachan: A Young Girls Struggle For Freedom in Twenieth-Century Japan" A fascinating read as Tani Hanes tells her grandmother's story of humble beginnings, an abusive home life yet went on to get the education she dreamed about. It left me looking for more! Have to hope Tani Hanes will add to her grandmothers story as how they moved from Japan to the USA.

A stop at Amazon had me add John Grisham's "Witness To A Trial:A Short Story Prequel to The Whistler" to my e library, then over to our library to add both Grisham's "The Whistler" and "The Judge's List " in the Whistler Series to my holds.

What are you reading?

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:53 pm

Gerri, Obachan... sounds really good. Another compelling story about Japanese Americans who were interned during WW 2 is called "Silver Like Dust: One Family's Story of America's Japanese Internment" . By Kimi Cunningham Grant.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:06 pm

These past few weeks just as I have started or about to start a Kindle book our e library sees recommends and holds arriving far sooner than expected, impressed that one recommend came the following day. I always read the loans before my Clould/Kindle reader.

I had just purchased and read the prequel to John Grishams "The Whistler" when my holds for it and "Silver Like Dust: One Family's Story of America's Japanese Internment" " by Kimi Cunningham arrived. I set "The Whistler" aside and found Cunningham's "Silver Like Dust" another that I couldn't put down! So much so I purchased Bookbub's recommend another granddaughter's story "Dear Canada Torn Apart: The Internment of Mary Kobayashi " which is on for this evening. Super happy to be back at my large computer screen!

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:42 am

Just finished "the ballerinas" by Rachel Kapelke-Dale - not my usual but this book kept me reading. It is about 3 friends and their experiences through the years. It takes place mostly in Paris but other places are also mentioned as the three friends go from teen-age years to adults.

Currently reading "The Cat Who Saved Books" by Sosuke Natsukawa and Louise Heal Kawai translated from the Japanese -- just a fun book!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:35 pm

"Dear Canada: Torn Apart: The Internment of Mary Kobayashi by Susan Alhoshi Mary's grandaughter. In 1941 Mary was a happy 12 year old Japanese Canadian girl, the war had not yet impacted her life, 1942 see that all change as she and her family were sent to internment camps.

Amazingly until a number of years back I had no idea Canada had internment camps or for that matter prisoner of war camps until I had seeds of beautiful hardy to the prairies pinks passed to me and told they were collected at an Alberta former camp site. The planting from seeds prisoners brought from Germany.

I was doing a bit of gleaning, reading the book reviews on another Charles Martin novel "The Mountain Between Us" a long wait list had me head over to Amazon. A gripping story, when a blizzard cancels flights it sees two stranded strangers manage to book a chartered flight which crashes in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. Another I could not put down. I have Martin's "Send Down the Rain " on the e library recommend list.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Enjoyed ": Torn Apart: The Internment of Mary Kobayashi and John Grisham's "The Whistler" Have to agree he is one of the best thriller writers! I have the sequel "The Judges List " which is said to be unnerving and even more clever on hold. It was a review on "The Judges List" that caught my attention to the Whistler series.Number 17 at the moment. Good to see his "Skipping Christmas" has me at number 2.

Having enjoyed Charles Martin'When Crickets Cry" and "The Mountain Between Us" I was more than surprised to see his "Chasing Fireflies" offered on my Amazon Prime for free! Said to be humorous, captivating, and intriguing. On for my evening read.

While close to the months end February still has us in winters grip, we are in an extreme cold warning with a bitterly cold arctic air mass seeing to cold cold cold! Seems like a good time to enjoy reading time.

Just in case this weather sees to power outages I have my lantern and flashlight charged and A Million Reasons Why " by Jessica Strawser downloaded on my tablet. Have to hope that doesn't happen, but it has been known to.

What are you reading?