What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Good to see you back Shadows, hopefully you have found plenty of good reading as you recuperate and will be back with reviews. You have been missed. Today seems to be warming so perhaps some much needed outdoor activity will happen. Yes strange days, amazing how much is now being done remotely from home here in Saskatchewan but it does seem to be working. So far.

Having read Cassie Chamber’s memoir ‘Hill Women: Finding Family and a Way Forward in the Appalachian Mountains’ I went on to read two recommends ‘The Woman From Troublesome Creek’ by Kim Michelle Richardson and ‘The Giver of Stars’ by JoJo Moyes. Both books were based on the The Packhorse Library Project, a works program that delivered books to remote regions in the Appalachian Mountains between 1935 and 1943. Thank you Ellie I enjoyed both.
What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Forgiveness: A Gift From My Grandparents’ by Canadian author Mark Sakamoto made for a glimpse of living during a time of prejudice, racism, fear and hardship in Canada after the Pearl Harbour attack. ‘The heart-rending true story of two families on either side of the Second World War-and a moving tribute to the nature of forgiveness’ when their children met fell in love and married.

I am now reading ‘The Girl in the Green Sweater’ by Krystyne Chiger with Daniel Paisner. ‘A moving memoir of a desperate escape and life under unimaginable circumstances by the last surviving member this group that went underground during the Holocaust. A harrowing first-person account of the fourteen months she spent with her family in the fetid, underground sewers of Lvov.’ A story of survival, friendship and love.

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 am

Just finishing Guardians by John Grisham -- an interesting and fast read. If you enjoy his books you will enjoy this one too! The Guardians is a group that works to get the innocent out of jail -- usually ones on death row. It is a good read and one i enjoyed.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:40 pm

Just finished "The Reunion" by Dan Walsh. It's about finding a Vietnam vet for a reunion with his old Army buddies. Hired by one of these buddies to find this vet, a journalist, who is already writing a book on the Vietnam war, is intrigued. It is a very emotional book and I found myself crying several times. EXCELLENT read. Just like all of Dan Walsh's books. He is an inspired writer.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:46 am

I am reading "Hidden Valley Road: inside the Mind of an American Family"by Robert Kolker -- a very sad story about a family of 12 children with many cases of mental illness (schizophrenia)-- there is also scientific information interspersed with the family's story about the genetic link to the disease. It is very well written but the story of abuse among the siblings and has the disease went from one child to the next for a total of six children is very sad for the whole family. The changes in how the disease was treated is also discussed by researchers and scientists.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:35 am

Good to see reviews on two books I will have to add to my read list. I have read a number of good books but with eye issues once again that just cleared up as well as computer issues I am on my tablet which I am not all that familiar with. Missing the much larger screen and keyboard I am not on line all that much so didn't get to reviews. The smaller screen makes reading far more difficult. Today being another cold and rainy day there will be some read time.

I am reading Cilka's Journey which has been on hold since February and is as good as I expected it to be. Today another February hold Where The Cradads Sing arrived.

Got by the frost warning last night and hear another possibly tonight, I like many others here on the prairies still need to finish my hanging baskets and pots. Just as well as Tuesday had heavy rain, wind and big hailstorm. Who would think one would need to bring out the snow shovel to shovel off the steps and walk ways in the middle of June. I have to hope the garden will bounce back as some is pretty tattered. But wet and nasty does make for indoor and extra read time.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Just finished a fantastic read: Mary, Mrs. A. Lincoln ]by Janis Cooke Newman -- a fictionalized story of Mary Todd told in the first person while she was in a mental institution about the story of her life with the president. It does show her being discharged but also about her shopping (I would call it hoarding) habits. I even looked up some of the things mentioned in the book. This was a wonderful read, even without the history of President Lincoln.

It is 90 here, so can't imagine a frost at this point! Hope all is okay. Everything is in bloom and hope for grapes this year!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:03 am

It's been a summer with far too many days of needing to turn on the heat to take off the chill, this long weekend nasty winds with frost warnings seeing to killing frosts across much of the province. Spent a good part of Monday out in the cold picking the produce, the rest remains safely tucked under quilts, blankets and sheets. Hopefully tomorrow we see to some sunny and warm.

It did make for some relax time and a read day. Finished reading The Woman Before Wallis an historical novel by Bryn Turnbull, a novel of the Windsors, Vanderbilts and royal scandal. I didn't realize that Thelma, who was the woman before Wallis was Gloria Vanderbilts twin sister. I foresee a couple of Gloria books waiting to be read.

What are you reading?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Finally back to a sunny day and back indoors, someone close by must be harvesting as have swarms of small whatever's, hoping they move on in order to get back to watering the pots and baskets. Gives me a little time to do some overdo reviews.

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. For me this was a page turner, so much so I burned the midnight oil reading to the last page. I have to go with the five star rave reviews, for several of the negative reviews a reminder it is a novel.

the Girls An All American Town, A Preditory Doctor, While finding it somewhat repetitive I was amazed how innocent most of these girls were and how this doctor manipulated both the girls and the parents. A real eye opener that all parents should read.

I have purchased both Mary L. Trumps Too Much and Never Enough and The Lonely Heart Attack Club by J.C. Williams. It is said the Williams book is the funniest, feel good book you will read this year. You'll laugh, you'll cry. You will love it! ... I am all in favor of a light hearted book, the review sees the Williams book my next read.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:20 am

Gerry wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 pm
Finally back to a sunny day and back indoors, someone close by must be harvesting as have swarms of small whatever's, hoping they move on in order to get back to watering the pots and baskets. Gives me a little time to do some overdo reviews.

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. For me this was a page turner, so much so I burned the midnight oil reading to the last page. I have to go with the five star rave reviews, for several of the negative reviews a reminder it is a novel.

the Girls An All American Town, A Preditory Doctor, While finding it somewhat repetitive I was amazed how innocent most of these girls were and how this doctor manipulated both the girls and the parents. A real eye opener that all parents should read.

I have purchased both Mary L. Trumps Too Much and Never Enough and The Lonely Heart Attack Club by J.C. Williams. It is said the Williams book is the funniest, feel good book you will read this year. You'll laugh, you'll cry. You will love it! ... I am all in favor of a light hearted book, the review sees the Williams book my next read.

What are you reading?
I have started Mary Trump's book and it's a fast read as it is very well written. I have finished some of James Patterson books but I have other books waiting in the wings.