What Are You Reading 2020

Gerry

Re: What Are You Reading 2020

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:19 pm

Ellie, I was disappointed to find ‘American Dirt’ was unavailable at my e library and will see to a recommend. Will be watching for your review.

I was more than surprised to find Jeanine Cummings’ “American Dirt’ the novel about a Mexican mother and her young son fleeing to the U.S. border which had been praised widely before its Jan. 21 release and was chosen by Oprah Winfrey saw to the publisher cancel her tour for safety concerns.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:19 pm
Ellie, I was disappointed to find ‘American Dirt’ was unavailable at my e library and will see to a recommend. Will be watching for your review.

I was more than surprised to find Jeanine Cummings’ “American Dirt’ the novel about a Mexican mother and her young son fleeing to the U.S. border which had been praised widely before its Jan. 21 release and was chosen by Oprah Winfrey saw to the publisher cancel her tour for safety concerns.

What are you reading?
I am reading that people are very disappointed in it and libraries are cancelling it all over the place. I shall see. They are complaining that a white person wrote the book and they wished a Latino wrote it as it is racist.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm

Ellie, I was amazed to find an author facing threats over a novel she has written. I was both surprised and saddened that in this day and age to see "Based on specific threats to booksellers and the author, we believe there exists real peril to their safety," wrote Bob Miller, president and publisher of Flatiron.” as well as the publisher’s comments, “We are saddened that a work of fiction that was well-intentioned has led to such vitriolic rancor.” Who would think in 2020. History tells us many of the books banned or burned in the past are now regarded as classics.

American Dirt’ for a book having the recommend of Oprah Winfrey ‘It is just a magnificent novel’ and many noted and respected authors such as John Grisham in his review commented ‘I strive to write page-turners because I love to read them, and it’s been a long time since I turned pages as fast as I did with American Dirt’ along with the Washington Post, New York Times a long list of great reviews ,then to see to a tour cancelled due to threats to the author has me say ‘It’s a book people, a novel you like or you do not like you review not threaten.

Have to wonder if any of our members have read the book, if so I hope we see reviews come in.

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Gerry wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:01 pm
Ellie, I was amazed to find an author facing threats over a novel she has written. I was both surprised and saddened that in this day and age to see "Based on specific threats to booksellers and the author, we believe there exists real peril to their safety," wrote Bob Miller, president and publisher of Flatiron.” as well as the publisher’s comments, “We are saddened that a work of fiction that was well-intentioned has led to such vitriolic rancor.” Who would think in 2020. History tells us many of the books banned or burned in the past are now regarded as classics.

American Dirt’ for a book having the recommend of Oprah Winfrey ‘It is just a magnificent novel’ and many noted and respected authors such as John Grisham in his review commented ‘I strive to write page-turners because I love to read them, and it’s been a long time since I turned pages as fast as I did with American Dirt’ along with the Washington Post, New York Times a long list of great reviews ,then to see to a tour cancelled due to threats to the author has me say ‘It’s a book people, a novel you like or you do not like you review not threaten.

Have to wonder if any of our members have read the book, if so I hope we see reviews come in.
It is a page turner and I am enjoying the novel.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:50 pm

On a happier note I spent much of the past weekend quietly enjoying good reads, cuddled in a cozy snuggle blanket and a pot of chai tea close at hand. I have to agree with Julia Donalson as to the love of reading.
‘I opened a book and made some friends,
I shared their tears and laughter.
Out of my book I came
My "blanket' can no longer hide me
My chair and my house are just the same
But I have a book inside me’

Thanks for the heads up Ellie, a little earlier today American Dirt went from recommend to available at my e library I was number 3 on one book. Seeing you and John Grisham both see it as a page turner I cancelled my hold and headed to Amazon for an e copy! You know what I'll be doing this evening!
What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am

Gerry wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:50 pm
On a happier note I spent much of the past weekend quietly enjoying good reads, cuddled in a cozy snuggle blanket and a pot of chai tea close at hand. I have to agree with Julia Donalson as to the love of reading.
‘I opened a book and made some friends,
I shared their tears and laughter.
Out of my book I came
My "blanket' can no longer hide me
My chair and my house are just the same
But I have a book inside me’

Thanks for the heads up Ellie, a little earlier today American Dirt went from recommend to available at my e library I was number 3 on one book. Seeing you and John Grisham both see it as a page turner I cancelled my hold and headed to Amazon for an e copy! You know what I'll be doing this evening!
What are you reading?
I purchased it too -- as I usually like Ophah Winfrey book list books. I have never been disappointed with one of her books yet.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm

'American Dirt ' is a ‘2020 novel by American author Jeanine Cummins, #1 New York Times Bestseller and Oprah Book Club Pick about the ordeal of a Mexican woman who had to leave behind her life and escape as an undocumented immigrant to the United States with her son.’

I was amazed to see to a tour of an Oprah Pick cancelled due to threats to the author and booksellers, as well as controversy suggesting banning claiming prejudice and a problem because it’s written by a non-Mexican white woman. Come on people this book is a novel, a writer using their imagination to create a story. Our library shelves would look very sad if books of fiction could not be published unless you had first hand knowledge. That is where non– fiction comes in play. While I generally read non-fiction I was so drawn into this book I was up until two in the morning.

I agree with Oprah ‘American Dirt is extraordinary and you will not want to put it down’ And I didn’t until I read the last page and looked for more.

As with John Ghrisham ‘it’s been a long time since I turned pages as fast as I did with ‘American Dirt’ I too turned the pages as fast as I could. I also agree with Stephen King ‘We don’t threaten writers with violence. Not in America‘

In the words of John Grisham ‘Its message is important and timely, but not political. Its characters are violent, compassionate, sadistic, fragile, and heroic. It is rich in authenticity. Its journey is a testament to the power of fear and hope and belief that there are more good people than bad.’

I suspect this one could be one of the best of my ‘Best of 2020 Reads’

ellie

Post by ellie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:29 pm

Gerry wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm
'American Dirt ' is a ‘2020 novel by American author Jeanine Cummins, #1 New York Times Bestseller and Oprah Book Club Pick about the ordeal of a Mexican woman who had to leave behind her life and escape as an undocumented immigrant to the United States with her son.’

I was amazed to see to a tour of an Oprah Pick cancelled due to threats to the author and booksellers, as well as controversy suggesting banning claiming prejudice and a problem because it’s written by a non-Mexican white woman. Come on people this book is a novel, a writer using their imagination to create a story. Our library shelves would look very sad if books of fiction could not be published unless you had first hand knowledge. That is where non– fiction comes in play. While I generally read non-fiction I was so drawn into this book I was up until two in the morning.

I agree with Oprah ‘American Dirt is extraordinary and you will not want to put it down’ And I didn’t until I read the last page and looked for more.

As with John Ghrisham ‘it’s been a long time since I turned pages as fast as I did with ‘American Dirt’ I too turned the pages as fast as I could. I also agree with Stephen King ‘We don’t threaten writers with violence. Not in America‘

In the words of John Grisham ‘Its message is important and timely, but not political. Its characters are violent, compassionate, sadistic, fragile, and heroic. It is rich in authenticity. Its journey is a testament to the power of fear and hope and belief that there are more good people than bad.’

I suspect this one could be one of the best of my ‘Best of 2020 Reads’
I am almost done with the book (probably finish tonight) and couldn't agree with you more. It is fiction -- and that is what I think some reviewers missed.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 pm

I was more than surprised to have my hold on the 'Handmaids Tale' arrive this week just as I finished reading 'American Dirt'. 'The Handmaids Tale' by Margaret Atwood is another non fiction I read in one sitting. I agree with our members here it is one not to miss. I see I am 5 on 11 copies of the Handmaids sequel 'The Testaments' I am 1 on 26 copies for 'Before We Were Yours' which has me hoping it will be available for the weekend.

What are you reading?

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:11 pm

I am starting When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal. It is about two sisters who re-discover each other -- one was thought to be dead and then appeared on tv. Not sure what to expect but the reviews are good.

I am number 4 on 3 copies for The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman -- so should be the next read after When We Believed in Mermaids.